Homelink Garage Door and Gate clicker replacement DIY | FerrariChat

Homelink Garage Door and Gate clicker replacement DIY

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #1 Trent, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a DIY guide for installing a Home Link system. the Home Link system replaces one to three garage door or gate clickers. If you have a two garage doors and live in a gated community, you may very well be carrying three clickers in your Ferrari. The Home Link system replaced the three clickers with one integrated module that is powered by the cars 12v system thus never needs batteries.

I have also wired the system to use the ignition on circuit instead of always powered for two reasons.
    1. No battery drain with Ign off, thus no dead battery because of this modification.
    2. Security. If you leave your vehicle outside and someone walks up and clicks the button on the Home Link, your garage door will not open unless the key is in the ignition and the ignition is on.

Time: 3Hrs (It took me almost as long to do the write up as the actual DIY, LOL)
    Cost: $53 + Shipping (the cost of one clicker!)
    Skill Level: 7 [1-10]
    Satisfaction Level: 9 [1-10]
    Utility: 10 [1=10]

Tools:
    -Phillips screwdriver
    -Soldering Iron (silver solder saves brain cells)
    -Wire cutters/strippers
    -Dremel
    -Drill + drill bits
    -Scissors
    -File or Grinder

Parts:
    -Homelink Rolling Code Transmitter Garage Door Opener : Search eBay for Home Link or Homelink. I recommend buying the Rolling Code version, its usually $10 more, but covers most garage door openers rolling code and non rolling code. $29
    -Vinyl / Pleather : One yard (usually the smallest you can buy) of Vinyl, Pleather or Leather that basically matches your interior. I searched eBay for Vinyl and bought 1 yard + shipping for $10. Search for Vinyl Pleather. I bought from uptown-fabric
    -3M General Trim Adhesive [ Spray ] 08088 or 08074: $12 (expensive for glue, but worth it IMO)
    -Scrap plastic panel 4x5" (approx). I have scrap plastic, if not its probably a Lowes type item. It needs to be quite thin, around 1mm. If its too thick you will have to sand it thinner which is a pain. I dont recommended using the original panel, keep it stock in order to return your vehicle to as-new condition in the future.

1. Remove rear most center console horizontal panel (see image). The panel just lifts out, or mine did, no screws or anything. This is the panel directly behind the eBrake in the center console.
    2. Use it as a stencil on a scrap piece of plastic. Consider making a template with cardboard first.
    3. Use Dremel to cut out plastic pattern, make sure you cut it out the same size, don't cut it out smaller to account for the thickness of the leather/vinyl because the Homelink module will keep the panel about 1/2" above where the original one was seated, and the sides of the pocket are tapered, so the panel will need to be slightly larger than the original one. When in doubt, use a cardboard template first.
    4. Use a file or grinder to clean up the edges of the plastic.
    5. Test fit, remember it does not yet have the Vinyl, so it should be slightly smaller than expected.
    6. Drill 6x holes for the Homelink buttons [4x] and fasteners [2x]. This allows the buttons to go through the panel.
    7. Remove buttons and button surround from Homelink module and test fit in plastic panel.
    8. Cut Vinyl to fit over plastic. This may take a few try, but hey you have a Yard of it!
    9. Test fit Vinyl on plastic, also test fit with Homelink module. If it fits, cut a hole for the Homelink buttons.
    10. Glue Vinyl to Plastic. Spray 3M Adhesive on both surfaces, follow 3M directions. Its good quality adhesive.
    11. Assemble unit.
    12. Remove ash tray cover as shown in image. 1x Phillips head.
    13. Route Homelink wires from install pocket to ash tray pocket.
    14. Solder Homelink wires to Cigarette Lighter wires. Note that on my Homelink module the Inside wire was ground. Inside = toward the center of the unit. Use a meter, always disconnect battery first, etc.
    15. Program Homelink module. Ask your eBay seller for the instructions, or google for them. They are copyrighted so I can not post them, but its easy.
    *First move Ferrari and Children out of harms way of closing garage door!
    a. Hold down both buttons (1x from Clicker, 1x from Homelink) until the Homelink light starts flashing fast. Hold them 3" apart for this process. If its a Gate clicker, your done. If its a garage door clicker you also have to complete step (b)
    b. Press "Learn" or "program" button on Garage door opener, usually a button under the light shroud or on back of the unit that has the motor and actually moves the garage door. Then press the Homelink button you programmed in step (a) within 30sec.

Now you can enjoy the convenience and clean interior provided by the Homelink integrated system and never fiddle with remotes again!

Trent
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Very good idea - thank you.

I will have to do this one :)

3. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Wow...awesome work, if you are ever in Ohio, I will pay you to do this !!

4. TomD

TomD Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Tom Donohue
    These instructions were perfectly written. I added this to my F-430 at a cost of $26.50 and it took maybe 2-3 hours. What a great solution to carrying around 3 openers.

The dealer had to add it to another car I have that ends in an "i." It was, shall we say, a wee bit more, so it just made this so much more of a rewarding project.

5. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Nice! This job goes on the list for sure.

6. Periokid

Periokid Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Feel free to do it on the 360 ;)

7. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    LOL, Only if you want to wait until July to get the car!

Seriously though, there may actually be enough room to do the same sort of placement in the 360 console.

8. Periokid

Periokid Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    David
    July, No way. Just put the parts on the passenger seat. I'll do the rest :)

9. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    jajajaja nice job