Ball Polished Rims - Damaged | FerrariChat

Ball Polished Rims - Damaged

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brambleworth, May 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I bought my 2007 Spider about 6 weeks ago and recently had a TPMS warning light go on. Apparently the dealer had to break my L/F wheel to change a battery. Unfortunately they chewed up the rim edge with a pry bar. I noticed it immediately because I had also upgraded the center caps and was checking them out. Although the dealer claims they didn't change a battery, they immediately offered to repair the rim. Can someone tell me what ball polished means? I assumed it was a raw aluminum alloy that was polished and clear coated, but the damage from the pry bar reveals a bright coating over plain aluminum, almost like plating. I also read that these rims are made from a proprietary alloy that can't be welded by a rim repairer, but presumably the dealer sublet rim guy is privy to the welding technique. I believe the two dings need some metal added to properly fill the damage which is on the edge about a half inch long, 1/8" wide and 1/8" deep.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair?

2. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Ball Polished" is what Ferrari calls it. That finish is actually just painted on (onto the standard 430 wheel I'm assuming). If you search "Ball Polished" here, there should be a few threads about it.

3. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    According to Ferrari's own brochure:

'Ball-polishing is a special surface treatment that increases the material's strength and hardness'.

The major problem is that repair is difficult, when I had a set for my 430 coupe the local dealer said minor damage was very difficult to repair perfectly unlike standard wheels - fortunately I didn't need any repair work.

4. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Greg- No, it is just a special paint. It should be possible to repair.

Ted- Call these folks and ask. They are one of the best wheel shops in the world.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

Ye Olde Wheel Shop
    6363 Washington Blvd.
    Elkridge, MD 21227
    410-796-8400
    800-526-8260

6. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #7 Brambleworth, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ye Olde Wheel Shop wasn't sure if they could repair it, agreed to look if I ship it to them. My dealer claims that ball polished rims are repairable and "re-coatable". Looks like someone slipped with a bead bar while working on a TPMS issue. I will find out tomorrow how it turned out. The white spots are just water marks. Before photo:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Listen those $8 dollar an hour guys do not care that they are working on a Ferrari rim, let alone even know what kinda of car the wheel came off of. They want to just get you out of there hair.

Anyhow, I have had to repair my rims with damage simular to that if not worse. I took it the closest powder coating shop which they smoothed out the groves that were in the rim, then powder coated the whole rim not just the damaged area. That means they take off all the paint befor powder coating. This gives you the brand new look while cleaning up the $8 dollar an hour screw up. It does not cost that much either. For me it $65 a rim but I live in central ca.

Watch out for the guy that comes out and sits on his bucket and sands down the spot and then paints the damaged area and then sprays clear coat on it. He will do it right there at the dealer. Yes it is a fix, but you will be able to tell over time that it was a repair job. Oh----and then charges you $120.

8. Brambleworth

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #9 Brambleworth, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I got the car back from the dealer and the rim has been repaired. It appears that the wheel repairer machined down the damage and recoated the rim. It actually looks better in real life than in the pictures, although it appears to have a small flat spot on the rim edge. So I guess ball polished rims can be machined and recoated, not sure if they can be welded. I thought they would weld the dings and then machine them, but it doesn't appear that way. Maybe welding is not possible. Can't get a real answer from the dealer, he just says they send them out and they return fixed. It also appears that the tire is in the exact same position on the rim, maybe they didn't remove the tire?

9. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That doesn't look like an acceptable repair to me.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    +1000.

11. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Still visible, worksmanship sucks arse. Take it back.

12. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    The flat spot is there due to the deep divet in the rim. They took the grinder and went down to the deepest grove which created the flat spot. They could have stretched out or tappered the flat spot out more over the rim so the flat spot was not so revealing. or, They could have left a small divet which would have been easeir to smooth out becuase of not going down so deep into the rim, but you would see a line rather than a flat spot.

It probably was a localized repair, meaning they did not re-powder coat the rim, however, it is noticeable but not that bad. Drive it and have fun.

13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    The proper way of repairing the divot is to weld material onto it and then machine it down to the same level as the rest of the rim. Then ball polish the entire wheel or all four to make them all look the same.

14. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    That is truly the best way, agreed. It would be great if all dealers would take heed to your wisdom.

More than not, the dealer will pay for the guy to come out and repair the damage while he sits on his bucket while the wheel is still on the car. When I picked up my 430 at the dealer(a few years back) I seen the guy on the bucket repairing rims at the dealer.

15. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thats how it gets done where I live. Nobody will accept such repairs even on a VW.

16. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Agree. I'd be quite unhappy with that.

17. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    That is absolutely unacceptable. They caused damage to your wheel and they should now be fixing it in such a manner that no existing damage can still be seen OR replacing the wheel all together.

18. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Do you live in Maranello Italy? ;)

19. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I was wondering if there are any updates to this? I have a rim that needs repair. I called Ye Olde Wheel Shop in MD, even though I'm in FL, and they weren't certain what a ball polished rim is.

By chance does anyone know of a wheel repair shop in FL that can repair these rims?

20. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Ball polishing is when the wheel is immersed in small ball media which are rotated/vibrated against it. See video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ97eFP4tVs]Alloy Wheel Ball Polishing at Atomic Wheels - YouTube[/ame]

21. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Thats pretty cool!

22. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Great information. I think there's still the question of how do you repair a slightly damaged rim?

23. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Grind out the damage and polish the area using a buff. If the damage is deeper then add weld, grind it back to profile and then polish the area. If you want the finish to be more consistent all over the wheel send it to a place that can ball polish it after the damage is repaired. (See the OP's photos for the difference in sheen between the original and repaired areas on his wheel).

24. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Snowman, thanks!