NEED HELP -- roof won't go up | FerrariChat

NEED HELP -- roof won't go up

Discussion in '360/430' started by Spitfire, Aug 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I've been suffering intermittent problems with my roof for the last few weeks. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down, but it usually requires two or three or more attempts to get it working correctly. As of today it won't go up no matter what I try.

I know that my hydraulic fluid level's okay. I also know that the two microswitches on the driver's side on the banana-shaped slide are okay.

Both winglets open and the driver's side of the cover starts to lift. But the passenger side doesn't move one tiny little bit. In other words, the cover kind of appears to be stuck. My battery is in tip top shape and the cover (and therefore the top) refuses to go up with or without the engine running.

I'm wondering if there's a reset procedure for the roof's ECU?

I'm also wondering how likely it is that one of the solenoids attached to the side of the hydraulic reservoir might have failed. If this is likely/possible, can somebody tell me how to test them? My reason for wondering about this is because the passenger side of the cover doesn't move at all, so I'm wondering if it's on its own hydraulic circuit and if it's possible that there's a solenoid dedicated to this circuit, and if it's possible that it might have failed. As you can see, I'm somewhat grasping at straws at this stage.

ANY ideas will be gratefully received. Thankfully there's a manual procedure to put the roof up but it looks as it it's a nightmare!!!

2. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Sorry buddy, but I have no clue of what might be the reason.
    Is there a good mechanic that you trust to let him have a look?
    I guess it will be a process of elimination from now on.

3. JPN800

JPN800 Karting

Apr 12, 2010
    New York
    Full Name:
    JP
    When you push the button to go up, Do you you hear the hydro pump running?

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Yep, there's no problem at all with the pump running. It's just that the passanger side of the cover seems to be totally stuck. It doesn't try to move, not even 1mm. I worry that perhaps the hydraulic piston on the passenger side might be toast.

I'm going to go through the manual procedure for raising the roof today. Once I can get a good look at the internals I'll do a thorough clean and light greasing with white lithium grease. With luck, I suppose it might be something as simple as requiring a bit of lubrication. I'm probably being overly optimistic!!!

5. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    The top mechanism is very complex on the 360/430 and repairing it is probably a learned skill that I hope never to have to master. On my Porsche, its one motor driving an elaborate accordion. On the 360/460 its a symphony with a multi valve hydraulic system and electro mechanical system with its own ECU. Not to mention the system is super expensive to replace as a component. So now I have told you lots of stuff that you clearly already know.

I almost bought a coupe instead of spider for this very reason!

So now some recommendations:

**ALL TOP WORK SHOULD BE DONE WITH AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE! If not you will probably scratch or damage something. I try and have three people if switch actuation is also necessary.

1. Read the factory manual on replacing the entire mechanism. It will get you familiar with the big picture. I would start at page 1125 (of pdf) aka [page 85 printed in manual] of Workshop Manual 360 Spider Vol 1 and 2.pdf. I really enjoyed the read, was interesting but took a few hours (with distractions). This should give you lots of ideas on where to start.
    http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Workshop.htm

2. Take images and post them here of anything that seems suspicious. The oil level like on page 1139, etc.

3. Check all microswitches like on page 1129. You can do this while manually putting your top up or down. Test them by making sure the circuit changes when the switch clicks, and make sure the switch "appears" to be clicking at the right point. It might be easier to connect a meter to the pins at the ECU for the microswitch under test. Use the BEEP continuity test so you can hear the circuit as it opens/closes. Page 1130 describes each microswitch and its position->action. read it and test an easy microswitch and you will get the idea.

4. Hydraulic Testing; Its a 200 bar system!! 1 bar = 1 atm, so 200 is down right dangerous. The manual states you cant component level troubleshoot the hydraulic system with the top in the car, i might agree. You can however make sure the solenoids are being fired from the ECU by checking them for 12v. (probably ground fired, easier on the transistors).

5. To reset the top ECU, try unplugging it for a long duration.

6. I doubt it is "stuck" the system is very strong. More likely a sensor issue or other electrical gremlin.

7. Top down is a great place to be stuck, it sure beats UP, and half UP.

8. Keep us posted on the progress and especially the resolution.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Not sure that I have a hard and fast resolution to the problem, but I was able to get the roof up.

I went through the first few steps of the "manual up" procedure in order to see if I could loosen the cover. I repeated the initial steps about three times. Then I let the electronics have a go at lifting the roof and there appeared to be some signs that the cover was going to move. However, there never appeared to be sufficient hydraulic strength for the cover to fully open.

I kept at it and eventually it "took off" and the roof closed the way it's supposed to. Feeling brave, I then put it down again. I went through the up/down procedure a couple of times then parked it in the half-way position so that I could clean/oil/grease obvious pivot points and slides. My roof does appear to go up and down now, but it tends to like a couple of forward/backward rocking movements before it goes fully up or down.

Does anybody know if the aforementioned rocking movements are a tell-tale sign of something obvious that needs to be adjusted? When operating the roof I can hear my pump running, but I wonder if it's not (for some reason that I don't understand) translating it's action into hydraulic pressure at all times. Any ideas anybody?

I had a multimeter on my battery just to be certain of its strength. I get >14V with the engine running, and it barely drops when I raise or lower the roof. I assume this is a good sign that the roof's getting all the juice it needs? I went to my local battery place to buy an Odyssey 925, but they tested my old battery and declared it to be in good shape and not in need of replacement. I was impressed -- they could easily have hosed me for a new battery!!!

7. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I recommend you check the voltage at the pump, not the battery. Voltage can drop through the fuse, relay and wire-connectors.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I'll certainly do this. Can you give me any clues as to which wires I should be connecting my multimeter to?

9. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    I had a similar recurring problem with a Boxster. It was a faulty brake switch. I don't know the Spider roof procedure, but on a Boxster the parking brake must be engaged in order to operate the roof. Because of the bad switch the car was not able to recognize when the brake was engaged, hence the up/down procedure was never able to initiate.

I'd bet its a simple roof or brake switch. Good luck.

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    From the aforementioned PDF

Pin 6 of connector 4Q of the top ECU : Page 1141 : Controls the relay which is near the hydraulic pump. This relay appears to be illustrated on page 1154 labeled "Hydraulic pump relay" and is located right beside the rollbar near the solenoid assembly. Image on same page.

The relay and pump position is also illustrated in: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=737

The relay has a diagram on it, so just use the diagram to determine which pins to measure voltage across. My guess is the standard Bosch pin annotation: My guess is pin 30 and pin 87. It could be 87a, but I doubt it.

The spider top pump is integrated in the assembly: 66954300, I dont recommend disassembling this assembly, you can measure the electrical properties from the relay, which is very conveniently located. You may want to grab a replacement from an autoparts store and swap it out. If the armatures are burnt, it could cause a substantial voltage and current drop.

To measure the voltage across Pin 30 and 87, you might be able to push the voltmeter leads into the relay harness from the bottom, or if not, you can remove the relay, and insert two thin wires into the socket, then reinsert the relay, then meter the wires. The relay does need to be in place to measure the voltage. I do not recommend measuring the current, your meter will need to be able to handle at least 30 amps (or whatever the fuse is on this circuit) and to measure current you need to be in series with the circuit, as opposed to parallel for measuring voltage.

11. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I would take it to a dealer and have them diagnose. Have you read some of the treads on what happens when a top piece breaks. I wouldn't mess with it. Call your closest dealer, have them walk you through the manual operation, and make a diagnostic appointment.

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Porsche club hacker; because the hydraulic pump makes noise when he actuates the top switch, we are ruling out the safety circuits at this time. Like on your Box, the safety circuits (speed input, top latch microswitch, e-brake microswitch, etc) would prevent the actuation motor from running in the first place. Happy Boxstering! (I push a 3.4L Converted Box around with 344 HP)

13. PCA Hack

PCA Hack Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    My mistake - I only read the first post.

I sidestepped any future potential up/down issues by getting a Boxster Spyder :)

Best of luck to the OP.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Thanks Trent. This is great info., and you're right, the relay is easy to get to. I'll report back once I've checked everything.

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Okay, so I've popped the relay but it's VERY fiddly to get to. I think I need to make up four short wires (perhaps 6" long) so that I can reconnect the relay "remotely" if you know what I mean. With the relay hanging in "free space" I should then be able to get my multimeter across pins 30 and 87 with relative ease.

Does this sound like a logical plan? Do you think 14 gauge wire should suffice for these 4 wires, or are they likely to melt?

16. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Why would you need any wire if you can access the relay pins in free space?

Use thin wire (so if you screw up the wire will be the fuse), and you only need two pieces of wire, pin 30 and 87. You dont need to monitor the trigger wires, UNLESS the relay is not triggering.

Tests: Assuming pin 30 is 12v with ignition ON. This could be a ground controlled circuit. Then you will need to find the hot wire to the motor.
    1. Measure voltage drop across 30 and 87 with motor ON
    2. Measure voltage between 30 and ground with motor ON and OFF
    3. Measure voltage between 87 and ground with motor ON and OFF

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #17 PhilNotHill, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    BTW I try to always have the engine running when operating the top. Why run down the battery?

When my top wouldn't work I would shut off the car and start it up again. the top usually worked my assumption was that the computer had to reset itself.

Since they replaced some sensors, the top works perfect now.

Caution: make sure the top goes completely through the cycle before taking your finger off the button. When opening that means don't take your finger off the button until you hear the beeps. When closing I wait until the window go all the way up as an abundance of caution.

I ditto the having the dealership or an experience pro work on the top. The replacement cost is $10k to $40K...there was a thread on this.

Hope you get it working soon.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Based on how difficult it was to pop the relay out (and my hands are small) it looks as if it'll be difficult to insert two thin wires and pop the relay back into position without disturbing the wires. However, you're right, this is the easiest approach and I'll give it a shot. I'll report back with my multimeter readings -- not sure that I'll be able to do this until tomorrow.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I agree, anything major that needs to be done will be left to the experts. At this stage however I'm just doing a bit of basic trouble-shooting.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Results:

1a. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, motor on = 14.51V
    1b. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, motor off = 12.53V
    1c. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, motor on, operating roof = 0.02V approx.

2a. Voltage between 30 and ground, motor on = 0.0V
    2b. Voltage between 30 and ground, motor off = 0.0V

3a. Voltage between 87 and ground, motor on = 14.48V
    3b. Voltage between 87 and ground, motor off = 13.06V

21. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #21 Trent, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Q0>I am assuming you have pins 87 and 30 backwards in your testing or reporting, if not something is terribly wrong. Please reverify?
    === All further comments assume that you just has 30 and 87 reversed in your testing/reporting ===
    Q1>Was the top working as expected during these tests?
    Q2>I am assuming the top only moved during test 1c, is this correct?
    If the answer to Q2 = Yes, then your data makes sense which is good. But this raises a new Q:
    Q3>(based on Yes for Q2)>Please explain in detail the difference between "motor on" and "motor on, operating roof". I was assuming that if you were hearing the hydraulic motor spinning the top would be moving or you have a solenoid valve issue. BUT the fact there is no current flow during test 1a, then the motor should not be running. Stated another way for clarity; In test 1a it says motor-on, but the voltage is 14v, which indicates to me based on the schematic I have provided below, that the relay has not fired and 30 and 87 have no continuity (not connected), thus the motor is not getting a voltage potential, and thus can not run. So if you are hearing a sound, is it the pump or maybe the solenoids or something else?
    Q4> Measure the voltage across Relay Pins 85 and 86 for Top Switch ON and OFF with top moving and not moving:
    4a. Voltage drop across 85 and 86, top switch on = ?
    4b. Voltage drop across 85 and 86, top switch on = ?
    4c. Voltage drop across 85 and 86, top switch on + motor on, operating roof = ?

It is my understanding that the top works sometimes and sometimes it does not.

In general a 1.4 - 2v drop is not bad across a low ohm load like the DC Hyd Pump.

Summary: The issue is that you say the motor is on, yet the relay has not been triggered. After test 4a,b,c I think we will determine that the relay is fine, just the ECU is not firing the relay all of the time, pointing us toward the sensors.

Your circuit looks like this:
    |---[DC Hyd Motor]---|
    |............................|
    |.....................[PIN 87]
    |.....................[RELAY ]
    |.....................[PIN 30]
    |............................|
    |---- [ -Battery +]----|
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Quick question. I assumed "motor on" meant engine running. This isn't what you meant is it? You meant roof motor running, not engine motor?

Assuming that I'm correct, I'll redo the tests with roof motor on/off, and I'll leave the engine off for all tests. Correct?

23. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Yes, sorry. It is nice to know the voltage deltas between gasoline engine on / off. But I was referring to hydraulic motor on/off, or more clearly top-switch on/off.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    New Results:

ENGINE OFF(!!!)

1a. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, roof motor ON = 0.04V
    1b. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, roof motor OFF = 11.8V

2a. Voltage between 30 and ground, roof motor DOWN = -11V
    2a. Voltage between 30 and ground, roof motor UP = -10.4V

3a. Voltage between 87 and ground, roof motor DOWN = 11V
    3b. Voltage between 87 and ground, roof motor UP = 10.5V

ENGINE ON

1a. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, roof motor on = 0.02V
    1b. Voltage drop across 30 and 87, roof motor off = 14.4V

2a. Voltage between 30 and ground, roof motor DOWN = -14V
    2a. Voltage between 30 and ground, roof motor UP = -13.4V

3a. Voltage between 87 and ground, roof motor DOWN = 14V
    3b. Voltage between 87 and ground, roof motor UP = 13.5V

I believe this shows that the voltage at the pump is marginal with the engine off, but that it should be okay with the engine running. Correct?

25. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    All of this data looks good. That also means we dont have the issue isolated as of yet.

Can you elaborate on the status of the top motion during the test?

i.e. 3a. Voltage between 87 and ground, roof motor DOWN = 14V [Top moving down as expected] or maybe [Top not moving, but pump is spinning audibly] etc.

Next we will start checking fail-safe mechanisms, but I would like to get a better handle on the top motion failures, how often it works, the expected speed, etc.