F430Addict - The Madness has begun...again (Scuderization) | FerrariChat

F430Addict - The Madness has begun...again (Scuderization)

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430addict, Sep 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #1 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Madness has begun...AGAIN...I know.

Last than a year ago, and 1500kms, I upgraded my 430 F1 coupe's exhaust system to a set of Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed test pipes and a Capristo Twin Sound muffler. I was happy with the performance gains and the bonus symphony. Just four months ago I went ahead with minor cosmetic upgrades slapping on an aftermarket Scuderia front bumper, side skirts and challenge grille + bumper, all in carbon fibre (painted of course! I do not wish to look like a half-completed painting).

The factory five spoke 430 rims were also sprayed Grigio Silverstone (matte) and I was happy with the shade of gun metal. That kept me happy for almost 3 months. The factory spring height really bothered me. In fact, that made me detest my factory wheels. I know, the logical solution would be to lower the springs. Instead, I went back to the drawing board. I started researching on the aftermarket offerings for Scuderia exhaust systems. Hey, wait a minute, I was unhappy with the springs and the rims, why am I look at exhaust systems...again? I know, I mean, I don't know.

So I decided on the Capristo Scuderia muffler system from the Complete system setup (different from Capristo Scuderia Twin Sound). My tech ordered the parts from Cap DE but missed the summer hols so I had to wait for a month before they returned to work. During that time, I remembered I was supposed to be looking at wheels. I studied DPE, ADV1, Novitec, iForged but just when I was about to give up, I landed myself a really sweet deal on a set of Scuderia wheels (not scuderia style but the rims off the real mccoy). The wheels land 1.5 weeks ago and are at the spray shop getting stripped and recoated with a fresh layer of metallic gold.

The Capristo Scuderia exhaust landed yesterday and installation begun immediately. I paid a visit to the workshop just this morning and I got good and bad news.

Here's the good news. In just over 4 hours of work, the tech managed to remove my Capristo twin sound (had it wrapped nicely tucked away in a nice box) and cut all the holes necessary for the Scuderia exhaust to be mounted. The end pipes were hooked on, the muffler was in the engine bay, the Capristo exhaust mounts were fitted. It looks like it's almost ready to go. Everything looked perfect. No scratches, nice and tight.

To be continued....(bad news to follow) + pardon the low quality pix taken from my iPhone
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #2 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
    ...continued

Couple of bad news. The valve covers arrived knackered. It looked to be terrible shape. It was like as if the Hulk sat on one of them. A quick call to Cap DE and they were willing to send replacements. Don't know why I had to go through this process in the first place. Don't the Germans do any QC before sending the parts out?

More bad news to come...

3. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #3 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
    The worst of all bad news...

There are two models of Capristo Scuderia exhaust systems. I've been through this before http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330418

There is the complete system for a direct replacement in a Scuderia which comes with a set of headers, high flow cats and a competition muffler (different construction to the twin sound Scuderia unit). Then there is the twin sound muffler system which was designed for 430s to take on the Scuderia look.

We stated clearly in our emails to Cap DE that we wanted the muffler from the complete system, which apparently could be purchased seperately without the headers and cat pipes. Everything was fine till I saw its ugly cousin in the engine bay of my 430.

It's a freaking TWIN SOUND GODDAMMMIT!

4. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I know I should be a happy man now. In other circumstances, YES, I should be. But after waiting and planning for over 3 months to end up with a wrong system? NOT HAPPY!

The Tech was so excited when the parts arrived he didn't even notice the muffler design was not the one we ordered over a month ago. I don't blame him considering he didn't even know there were two seperate Capristo Scuderia muffler designs to begin with. He was frantically speaking to Cap DE the whole of last night trying to sort out this mess. I know he'll do good. I've waited this long for the muffler, I don't mind adding another two months to the wait just so I get the right parts.

Meanwhile, I'll post up more pictures so members who intend on taking this path have something to see before doing the deed.

More updates to come after I meet up with the tech later today.

5. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #5 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
  6. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Lol, yeah Capristo.

7. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #7 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
    Previous exhaust setup...early present for X'mas 2010....

Notice the Fabspeed testpipes came with the O2 extenders already? Trust me, they don't work! It throws off the CEL. But I'm not fussed as I get it checked every now and then and still it shows O2 sensor error at Cats and nothing more severe. The sound and throttle response (mid to high end) that I gained in exchange for a tiny CEL is worth every single bit of trouble...of any kind.

8. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #8 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
  9. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #9 F430addict, Sep 7, 2011
    Another look at the ride height that bothered me for endless nights and spurred me in the wrong direction of exhaust mods...sigh...I'm pathetic.

10. UH-Matt

UH-Matt Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    ... would it not have been easier and cheaper to just buy a scud? :)

11. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    F430addict; I understand you want credit for your excellent photos, but the watermark/branding "F430addict" makes some of the images quite hard to see and most hard to appreciate. Maybe if it was 1/5 the size and/or without the sun beams that pass through most of the image.

Anyway thanks for sharing the images and your scud exhaust mod, very interesting.

13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Seriously? No.
    Not cheaper that's for sure.

14. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I love your passion for the car!! And it looks great!

15. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I'm no pro photographer. I shoot my images using whatever mobile phone I have at the moment. Some were shot with my N72 and others with the iPhone. The whole idea of me sharing the images were to make them kinda like a storyboard. It wasn't meant to show the details. The images are only there to add colour to my happy story so pardon the drama ps effects and watermarks. I had one eBay seller use one of my previous images without my permission for his auction so I had to do it.

As for the purists, this is not for you. I know, I've committed the greatest sin. Move on to the next thread please, for my sake.

I'm sue there are plenty out there who, like myself, enjoy the process of enhancing their Fcars. I know, it's no Scuderia. Well, it wasn't meant to be one to begin with. The pleasure and knowledge gained out of this entire process makes it all worthwhile for me. I know, I might just end up getting a Scuderia or a 16M next year, or even just straight into a 458. But till then, this will fill the void.

Enjoy.

16. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks mate. Ive gained so much from the experts on this forum, the credit goes to them. You know who you are fellas.

Another update.

Capristo DE actually replied my tech today that the Scuderia muffler from their complete system does not come with valves. So what am I seeing in e video below?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmhX5pDHOY[/ame]

At least my tech is doing all he can to resolve the matter for me. He will most likely reorder the correct muffler and have it FedEx'd over to me within the week. Fingerscrossed!

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +2

18. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #18 Russell996, Sep 7, 2011
    Valves I believe!

19. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Exactly Russ! Great eyes!

20. UH-Matt

UH-Matt Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    I am no purist, my car has plenty of mods.

However when the mods are to make one car look like a different factory version of the same car I can't help but think saving your pennies for the real thing is a better option. You are obviously spending good money and F430 vs Scuderia prices are not necessarily a million miles apart.

That is all.

:)

21. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    The reason your O2 extenders on your Fabspeed Test Pipes don't work is because you have removed both cats, the main, and by going with aftermarket headers, you have removed those also. If you had stock cats and then test pipes with extenders it should not throw a CEL. Many people have done this successfully, but remove both cats, then you get a CEL unless you re-tune your ECU.

22. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I agree. Exhaust, ok, but everything else will be lost once you sell, but not to the next owner who will pick up all those adds for basically nothing.

23. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    who makes the scuderia bumper you have installed?

24. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    waiting for updates :)

25. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thats the rules of the game for modifications. True, whatever I add will not enhance the actual body value of the car when I eventually sell it.

One portion of the FCar population will maintain their cars in pristine condition for the next owner to enjoy. Nothing wrong with that, though pardon my straightforwardness, that is outright dumbarse stupidity.

Another portion of the population will make changes to the car to pass off as another model in the factory line-up. Nothing wrong wtih that as well though that's pretty much crossing the thin line for me over to poseur-land.

Then there is the remaining portion of the population who loves playing with their toys they don't mind venturing out of the square and embarking on projects not-commonly undertaken. Not for showboating, but more to cure the curiosity bug and for that sense of achievement.

People are fine with putting Scuderia or Stradale or 16M stripes onto a 430 or 360. OK.

People are fine with spraying stock wheels to a different shade of grey or black, matte or glossy. OK.

People are fine putting Scuderia wheels on a 360, or a 430. OK.

People are fine putting Scuderia seats into a 430. OK.

People are fine hooking up a Scuderia steering wheel into a 430. OK.

The point is, its all done in the name of personal enjoyment. Everybody has limits. I guess my tolerance is a tad bit too high hence crossing the line for most people.

In the end, the car may resemble a Scuderia though there are minor differences. The rear will definitely not be a Scuderia bumper, for now. That's past my tolerance.

BTW, if I ever sell the 430, it'll be reverted to bone stock. Don't need a PhD to know that the parts sell for a better price on their own.

Updates to come soon. Cap DE appears to be searching their warehouse for the correct muffler. Hopefully I get an answer this arvo.