Scud steering wheel on stock F430: LED's work! | FerrariChat

Scud steering wheel on stock F430: LED's work!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stevely, Oct 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    #1 Stevely, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After buying my car recently, one of the first things I wanted was a red line at the top of my steering wheel. Carbon fiber would have been a nice touch. After talking to the dealer and some aftermarket companies, I sat on the sideline thinking about the purchase. I know there’s a Ferrari premium, but it just seemed a little excessive to pay $2k+ AND give up my stock wheel for that little red line. I thought: Why can’t Ricambi just come up with a simple snap on carbon fiber top part with a red line?? Ghetto I know, but honestly that’s all I really wanted.

So I sat on the sidelines waiting until maybe Christmas (yea right) to justify the purchase. Then I came across a Scud wheel which supposedly said that the LED’s would work on a stock F430. I was of course skeptical since the dealer, the aftermarket companies, and all the posts on F-chat seemed to say that an extra wire was required that wasn’t built into the stock F430, let alone one from before 2008 when the Scud came out. The seller guaranteed that it would work and said he had put it in another F430 without any issues. When asking about the extra wiring or how the LED’s would work, he said that the Scud steering wheel has an ECU built into it that processes the RPM data. He even said I could have my money back if it didn’t work. I took the leap of faith and the steering wheel arrived about a week ago. I had the wheel installed by Eugenio, who was extremely flexible with his schedule and did a fantastic job. He even let me watch and take pictures/video while he put it in, which most mechanics won’t do for obvious reasons.

Honestly, I didn’t think it was going to work and was ready to just send back the wheel, but much to my surprise, it actually works! The LED’s light up at start and 6000, 6500, 7000, 7500, and 8000. The manettino is a little different on the Scud wheel. It doesn’t have the ice mode and instead has a CT off mode where the stock ‘Race’ positon sits. This obviously shifts all the setting over one. It would have been icing on the cake if the Scud settings had worked but I guess that was too much to ask for. Either way, the manettino still works. It’s just off one position so ‘Race’ setting (as shown on the dash) is ‘CT off’ on my steering wheel, ‘Sport’ mode is ‘Race’ on my steering wheel, and so on.

In terms of background on the car and steering wheel since a couple other people have said that it didn’t work for them: My car is a stock 2005 F430. The steering wheel was sold as an OEM Ferrari Scud steering wheel. It looks like the real deal, but I’m no expert. It doesn’t appear to be modded. It didn’t require any extra wiring or modifications. Eugenio just used the standard connections from my stock wheel. It was literally plug and play and took just 40 min to install. I couldn’t be happier with the results.

Funny how this went from trying to get a simple red line to a Scud wheel with LED’s but no red line. Hahaha. Special thanks to Eugenio for the install and the extra PIS adjustment!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPq6WuvLZic&hd=1[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  2. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Very nice! Thanks for the documentation!

3. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    Amazing...... I think this would be my next project.

4. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
  5. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Bought a used one on fchat but it's in perfect condition. I was told it costs 5k brand new. Surprised because I would think Ferrari would charge MUCH more for this masterpiece. Plus I got to keep my 'old' (3400 mile) stock steering wheel.

6. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Get a sticker company to photoshop the mannetino settings and paste over. Viola! Done!

7. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Eh, it doesn't bother me that much. In fact I kinda like that it's different even though it's off.

@F430Addict: Love your mods btw. Came very close to doing the scud front after seeing your pictures, but decided that i'm happy with my stock look. My next car will probably be a scud (which was my original goal until I found out how much they cost).

8. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    I wish there was something like this out there for the 360

9. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Nice job!
    I like the Scud wheel......maybe now some CF shifter paddles.....;)

10. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Definitely! That is a must and please get the ones from Carbonio with the long paddles.

11. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks mate. It's really nothing compared to really effective mods like yours! The Scuds where I live cost way over the premiums you guys pay in the States hence this is the closest a poor mofo like me can get to owning a Scud. Even if I throw in the Scud seats, the steering wheel, the cf door cards, it'd still be at least another $100K away from actually owning a used-Scud. You guys have it good.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing this mod. I guess Scud steering wheel prices are gonna jump after your post.

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #12 Russell996, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pics of my manual 430 Coupe with Scud wheel. No way to get the LED's working on my wheel and even had to swop manettino's between wheels to get the car to fire up - still looked good though!

13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Strange eh Russ? How do we explain this phenomenon? Luck?

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Here's a thought that I've had for a while: there are six LEDs in the steering wheel. Has anyone ever thought about changing the color of the first two to green, and changing the color of the second two to white? This way, when you're approaching red line (the last two remaining lights are already red), the steering wheel lights up in the Italian flag colors. I think that would be way cool.

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Russell you have a manual oh my word, how do you manage left foot braking in the 16M ?
    The steering wheel lights look good in my SCUD, I like them it would be a nice to have in the 430 Spider too, a bit like having 2 wives/wifes but also quite expensive

16. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Let me guess. You already have a scud or 16M?

Coz the rest of us are scratching our heads on how this mod actually worked, let alone toying with the color of the LED indicators on the wheel.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ha! I wish!

18. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    #18 Stevely, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
    Maybe it has to do with the f1 transmission/ecu? Since the manettino and lights didn't come until after they switched to the f1. Plus scuds only come in f1. Could be wrong but just a thought.

19. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Yes, that actually makes sense!

20. utah997

utah997 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doug
    How much did this cost you all told?

(Very cool mod by the way)

21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have always wondered if I buy a launch control button if I can plug it into the harness and make it work, maybe it will, maybe a ECU from the euro models will be needed, dunno.

Sorry for being off topic but this whole plug and play thing has me wondering again about it.

22. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    This is fantastic! Two new members pop out of nowhere selling scud wheels at super good prices. I've committed to buy 355's steering wheel but have asked for a new photo with his nick written on a paper beside it. Let's see how long it's gonna take for that to happen. Not that I'm trying to pass judgement or anything but the two above offers are just too well timed and coincidental. I smell a rodent.

23. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    #23 Stevely, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Seriously. Where did these guys come out of the woodwork? I feel like I should get commission or something. hahaha. Good luck F430addict. Don't forget to ask for a guarantee, no questions asked, just in case it doesn't work or isn't in the condition described.

24. [R]

[R] Karting

Jul 10, 2011
    for who want to sell their scuderia steering wheel please pm me with picture

25. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    And don't forget to ask for a photo of the wheel with a printout of this forum page beside it just to make sure it is not a borrowed image.