16M DISCUSSION THREAD | FerrariChat

16M DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in '360/430' started by plastique999, Apr 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I know there have been various topics about the 16M but mostly about Scuds.
    What I'd like to know first is about its performance in relation to other Ferraris, e.g. it's brother the Scud or 458 Spider.
    As I'm eyeing a transition from my 430 Spider in about a year or two, what does one predict its value to be in 1 year and then 2 years?
    There is the one at CNC motors for $205k but with 27k miles. I'd say in a year there will be quite a few 16M's just below the $200k mark.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    This thread will be fun when our friend from north of the boarder shows up...

Fwiw I'll take the over on your one-year out price projection. The average asking right now is 270k...and hasn't change much in a year...I would venture asking prices won't get halfway to your 200k projection. I think I actually am aware of more 16m actual selling prices than anyone else out there and I doubt even those will get to 200k for the average car w average mileage...don't get me wrong, I am certain the current askings are well above market clearing prices and they will have to come down for these cars to actually sell...I just don't see them falling as far as fast as you project.

Irregardless of price, the 16m is a special, amazing car. I've driven one briefly and have a bit of seat time in scuds and 458s too...I prefer the rawer scud cars over the smoother 458 but all three of these offer far more performance than 99% of drivers (me included) can use on the street or track so I would not decide which of these to get based on speed related stats...

3. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    O for God sake, you got your F430 what, 30 days ago and am already plotting and planning for the next Fcar! A disease I tell you, a disease!

The answer to your question is mostly pure speculation because the 16M is so limited in production prices may or may not follow a traditional depreciation curve from here on. It is a special, unique, and limited car like the CS. I do think it will fall, but how fast will depend on something convertible and raw coming in 458 form, which is a couple years off. Until that happens, I don't see a lot of reason why current 16M owners would have interest in selling thier car and that will keep a lot of supply off the market and thus prices up. There is also a lot of demand for the 16M, even at its very high (in relation to Scud and F430 spider) current prices. I think demand will only increase as buyers like you become interested when it reaches sub $200k levels, which will act as a depreciation floor. Your interest is not going to matter on what the 458 16M is b/c it'll likely be way too expensive new, so there will be constant new demand as prices drop, but I'm not sure how much supply will increase until there is a reason for 16M sellers to want to upgrade. For these reasons, I think the 16M will hold value very well for the next 2-3 years.

Enjoy the F430, don't worry about the next car yet!

4. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I had an 07 Spider and went to a 16M last spring.
    Quite frankly I was not concerned with future pricing or depreciation so I cannot respond to that point.
    There is simply no comparison of the 16M to the 430
    They are completely different cars. Different ride, power sound and braking. The 16M F1 transmission is not to be believed when compared to the 430
    My car is only used on weekends so I cannot comment on whether this is a DD but my guess would be it would not suit the purpose.
    The 16M is a very special car and if u r fortunate to drive one you will know immediately if it is worth the upgrade
    A previous poster said it ...at the moment there is no Ferrari that I would care to trade to, but that is a very subjective opinion, however my guess is most 16M owners harbor the same thought.

5. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    hahaha. will it be $400k by the end of summer according to him? Or $100k like the 458 since he doesn't own either (458 or 16M).

In all seriousness, I think it'll stay above $200k.

6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Hi... curious why you say the 16M isn't well suited for daily driver use.

I drive my F430 and Gallardo Spider daily (weather permitting, of course) and would love to get your feedback on the 16M as this car is likely an upgrade path for me from my F430.

Thanks,
    Frank

7. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RAK
    The roads here in the northeast and in particular the manhattan area and it's suburbs are not conducive to a dd with limited clearance, summer super low profile tires, and a stiff ride. Even with the shock damping capability, the 16M is a much harsher ride than a 430 and the CF racing seats absorb the bumps much less than the Daytonas

8. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    In my experience, the 16M suspension is even stiffer then the Scuderia (coupe). I think a bit of over compensation for the lack of a top. DD?? Not if you have a bad back.....and even if you don't.

9. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    What he said. Great post.

10. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Can't agree at all.

I always drive in race with suspension set to soft. This gives a far more compliant ride than my 430 coupe ever did and the seats are superb, not super padded but perfectly sculpted. UK roads are useless so it's not down to smooth surfaces.

Worth remembering that 'sport' mode doesn't allow the suspension button to change anything, only works in Race, CT and CST modes.

11. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I am aware of the settings
    We will just agree to disagree and enjoy our 16Ms

12. RDI

RDI Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    I have to agree with Russell996 before I bought my car I read a few users saying scud/16m had real stiff suspension, I didn't find that accurate at all, I find it very balanced and fine for daily driving, I don't find it overly stiff.

13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Agreed....I find my SCUD very comfortable and I don't even use the "soft" suspension setting.

14. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    i agree. Plus having the smoothest roads in the world helps alot. ;)

15. kramsay1234

kramsay1234 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I just had the pleasure of driving a 16M yesterday. I was prepared for a stiff harsh ride and was pleasantly surprised. Not saying it rides like a 430, but in my mind I was prepared for something harsh and loud, but overall it is very good. So anyone reading that has in their head that the car will have an uncomfortable ride will be pleased. And with the windows up, surprisingly not too loud inside the car....except of course when those exhaust valves open up....but that is music, not noise!

On the value, I am wondering the same thing as I am on the fence of buying, but after driving the car, I am caring less about value down the road then I did before. Its a great car.

16. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I was just about to start a thread relative to recent prices. I should not have sold mine and I'm in the hunt for another.

Please post if you have any recent transaction prices. I agree asking prices are a joke.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Haha, you're right Mike...getting a wee bit ahead of myself. But I am just trying to look into the almighty crystal ball.

You mention the next 458 Scud or CS...I suspect there would be two hits to the 16M. First being the 458 Spider and then the next 458 "Scud". I think those who bought the 16M new could easily afford the upgrade to one of these cars (natural evolution).
    I guess this would be a question for 16M owners, whether they are interested at all in the 458 Spider or a "Scud" version of the 458.

18. AndrewDinCH

AndrewDinCH Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice as the 458 Spider is, I'm certainly not thinking of trading my 16M for it. I would think many 16M's are no longer owned by the latest-and-greatest crowd.

19. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    +1

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    +2.

The 458 is just another latest car along the evolution line of mass produced Ferrari's. The 16M and specials like the Scuderia and Challenge Stradale are the collectors cars, dripping with carbon, titanium and passion. IMHO they are the ones destined for the highest future values due to lower volumes and their 'special' status.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How about a 458 16m configuration? No idea if they plan to do that, but that would be tough for the 16M.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are most 16M's on their first or second owner?

Yea that's the corollary to the question...when will the "race/Scud" version 458 come out? And will they make a convertible version of it. Interesting, as the 458 convertible switched to hard top and I presume adds even more weight.
    If the Scud version 458 comes out in the next two years, perhaps a 16M version in 4 years?
    That would be a performance monster.

23. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I understand they won't be making a 458 spider race/scud but who knows? 458 Spider roof is actually lighter than the fabric roof.

24. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    If they do make one (i'm told they won't) the 16M will be 6-7 years old by then and probably immune from any effect.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The 16M is a special edition of the final 430, we are years away from any such "edition" of the 458, IMO.