What to do about paint cracks after rolling fenders on my 360 | FerrariChat

What to do about paint cracks after rolling fenders on my 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by schunmd, May 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    So I got my front fenders rolled to get rid of two buckled areas, and now I have very thin (slightly thicker than a hairline) cracks about an inch on each side. They are just inside the edge of the rolled fenders so not visible at all. The bodyshop put a touch-up paint, but the crack is still visible. Are these paint cracks likely to spread or cause other issues down the road? I assume corrosion/rust is not an issue since it's aluminum?

Bodyshop says only permanent solution is to repaint the entire front!

Any input/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Off topic slightly, but why did you roll your fenders? I'm assuming so you could fit wider wheels, no?

3. Fatty

Fatty Karting

Jun 5, 2010
    Australia
    Clean the area thoroughly to remove any dust/dirt (be careful as you don't want to flake off the paint by accident)

Get a can of clearcoat from an automotive paint shop. Spray some into the cover, and wait for it to become tacky. Then using a brush, brush the clearcoat over the cracked area.

The other option is a respray of that area, which I dont think is practicle.

good luck

4. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    +1 on what fatty recommended and no they won't spread any further. Unfortunately it's inherent sometimes when rolling the underside of the fender.

When we rolled mine we used a heat gun to warm the metal and paint so that it would not crack the paint, fortunately for us it worked.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The body shop will always want to paint the largest section possible so they can blend the color correctly. However, since you are in NorCal, you should try Googling mobile bumper repair guys in the San Jose area. There is a person in that area (don't recall his name at the moment - found him with Google) who has done fender lip repair/repaint before and came with good referrals from a few other owners. His website will come up on the Google organic search results. I spoke to him before having my F355 repainted here in Socal for the same type of damage. Sorry I could not be of more help, but good luck on the project.

7. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    360 front fenders can buckle and bulge even with OEM tires if a tire is turned and go over a dip, or in my situation going down on a steep driveway ramp sideways. This can apparently can damage sidewall of tires also. Stradale and 430 front fenders already come rolled from the factory.

8. 360modenaValley

360modenaValley Karting

Jan 29, 2007
    Valley Glen
    Where do you recommend getting my 360 Fenders rolled does anyone have a recommendation Sherman Oaks area

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    A lot of guys here will say "grab a baseball bat, a blow dryer and do it yourself", but when I had my 360, there was no way I was going to try that.

I brought my car to a body shop and had them do it and it came out great.

10. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I used a rubber mallet for mine. I did it in front of Harbor Freight - you should have seen the looks I was getting (too old to care what people think). As far as your paint, I would not worry about it. Try some of the suggestions above and forget about it. Once it chips off (if it does) then it will be time to deal with rock chips on the hood and bumper anyway. I had mine redone, cost about $1K and it came out very good.

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't use a rubber mallet! They make fender rollers that mount to the wheel hub but I'd recommend going to a body shop with lots of experience with this. Pretty easy to crack the paint.

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #12 Need4Spd, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Quite true. Track the car or otherwise drive it like it's meant to be driven in corners and sooner or later you will have this issue even with stock wheels and OEM-size tires. If you look closely at 360s, you will find some fender damage at the 12 o'clock position on many of them. Often it's just bowed out a bit and you can't tell unless you look closely. But sometimes it's worse.

The guys at SF Motorsports sub'd out my fender rolling to a local body shop, which did a great job with no paint cracks. I don't recall who they used, though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm having my guy do mine in the next few weeks. Im in Sherman Oaks as well. My body shop is in Van Nuys. MPC Autobody.

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I like this...a lot

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009