Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 360/430

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Ryan M
F430 Clutch and Flywheel Service Costs?

What prices have you been paying for clutch and flyhwheel service on a F430 F1? I have heard the clutch itself is around $6000 but that the flywheel should be resurfaced or replaced "while in there"..... I have read/heard prices from $6000-$12,000 depending on what is needed/replaced while servicing these items. I would like to hear real prices not dealer markup, I searched the forum but found little information regarding specific pricing, please advise.

My F430's clutch is around 45% worn so I am thinking ahead. I hope to get one more adjustment out of the clutch but I would like to replace the clutch/flywheel? at around 25% remaining, I dont like waiting till its fried to make a move, I get worried other components may be stressed.

Thanks!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Dominic
My Garage
Ryan,
I know you are a big fan of Algar like me. Are you having them replace the clutch?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
Ryan,
I know you are a big fan of Algar like me. Are you having them replace the clutch?
I live 10 minutes from Ferrari of Washington who has provided great service to me thus far.

I purchased my car at Algar and they have some of the best techs is the biz. I will
certainly consider Algar for a extensive service like a clutch/flywheel etc...
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Trent
I was recently quoted $5400 in south FL.

I say dont replace until it slips under hard load. I just dont see the benefit to changing early. Yes if its an F1 it could leave you "stranded" but I dont hear of that happening often.

The main component that gets stressed when your clutch is "fried" is your wallet . You are more likely to need a resurface if you take it all the way down, but then again I "hear" that a high percentage of F430 clutch jobs need the resurface anyway. What I want to avoid is changing the clutch too often, so just like my tires, I will run it down, replace, then drive some more.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post

I say dont replace until it slips under hard load. I just dont see the benefit to changing early. Yes if its an F1 it could leave you "stranded" but I dont hear of that happening often.

The main component that gets stressed when your clutch is "fried" is your wallet . You are more likely to need a resurface if you take it all the way down, but then again I "hear" that a high percentage of F430 clutch jobs need the resurface anyway. What I want to avoid is changing the clutch too often, so just like my tires, I will run it down, replace, then drive some more.
Sounds like sage advice to me.

I have experienced too many times dealerships and indys recommending maintenance way before it is necessary. After all it is in their self-interest to do so.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post

Trent,

Was the $5400 price for just a clutch job? Is it true the flywheel needs resurfaced or replaced during a clutch replacement?

My dealer says the flywheel is not reusable when removed due to a "bowl shape" the flywheel takes on from wear, heat etc...I know the dealer is obviously trying to push any and all items but is the flywheel a critical item to replace while in there?

Ryan
Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Trent,

Was the $5400 price for just a clutch job? Is it true the flywheel needs resurfaced or replaced during a clutch replacement?

My dealer says the flywheel is not reusable when removed due to a "bowl shape" the flywheel takes on from wear, heat etc...I know the dealer is obviously trying to push any and all items but is the flywheel a critical item to replace while in there?
Flywheel not included @ $5400. I have read on fchat, recently, a tech stating it can be resurfaced. I have also read the contradiction. So I dont know.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I agree. Replace when it slips under load. It has happened to me several times in the past. It is how I learned to shift without the clutch -- best way to teach you how to synchonize.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblesse Oblige View Post
I agree. Replace when it slips under load. It has happened to me several times in the past. It is how I learned to shift without the clutch -- best way to teach you how to synchonize.
...and to learn how much it costs to replace the transmission

On motorcycles (superbikes) with their aggressive synchros I always upshift without the clutch and can easily downshift without it as well, however downshifting is a bit more tricky to rev match and to be smooth. With a failed clutch on a Porsche I was able to rather quickly learn how to shift without the clutch, but it was clearly abusive to the system.