1999 Ferrari 360 AC Recharge | FerrariChat

1999 Ferrari 360 AC Recharge

Discussion in '360/430' started by Alxlee, Sep 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #1 Alxlee, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Over the last month or so, my AC suddenly didn't feel as cold as I thought it did in April of this year. I figured it was time to check the refrigerant level and refill if needed. I had seen the self fill "easy to use" bottles of R134a when walking through Pep Boys and decided to give it a try to see if it was as easy as advertised. I'm happy to report that it is, even on a Ferrari.

As my 360 is a 1999 MY with the charging ports behind the inner trunk lining instead of under the three screwed panel under the driver side of the windshield.

Standing in Pep Boys, there were two choices that I liked...in the end, I went with the "idQ Arctic Freeze 134a+" that included a short hose and low side quick connect fitting. No particular reason, I can't imagine there were any differences between the different brands. My final decision was based on the quick connect fitting, the one that came with the Arctic Freeze looked sturdier to me. $34.99 for the 18 ounce can and re-usable gauge.

Back in the garage:

1. Remove the inner trunk panels.

2. Locate the recharge ports. The low side fitting is what you will need to recharge the refrigerant. It is the smaller of the two and as they are different sizes you should not mix these two up.

3. Facing towards the inside of the car, the low side fitting is on the passenger side of the car and is the one on your left.

4. Remove the plastic protective cap. Also, prep your refrigerant by shaking the bottle and removing the safety tab if there is one.

5. Now that you have everything ready, start the car and turn the AC on by setting the temperature dial to Lo and the flow dial to Auto. Also, make sure the STOP button is out and not illuminated.

6. With the car and AC running, plug the quick connect fitting onto the charging port of the car. You should now see a reading on your gauge.

7. The low side reading should be between 20-30 PSI. If your refrigerant level is low, simply squeeze the trigger on the bottle to dispense refrigerant into the system. You will have to agitate the bottle, shaking or moving the bottle around as you have the trigger depressed.

8. Check the reading by letting go of the trigger, the gauge will read 0 when you have the trigger depressed to dispense the refrigerant. At 28 PSI, my AC now felt very cold again. I didn't have a thermometer to measure the actual temp, but the air coming out was noticeable colder than before.

9. When you have completed refilling your system, be careful removing the fitting from the charging port as some of the components and piping in the vicinity may have become hot to the touch. Take care not to burn yourself.

Very simple to do, ended up costing just $34.99 and about 30-40 minutes including panel removal time and reinstallation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caphill likes this.
  2. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Awesome! thanks for writing this up with photos! Mine is not cold either and was wondering how to do it!
    Hunter

3. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Thanks! Great Post! Anyone want to post some pics on a non 1999 a/c location?

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Right. So no vacuum of the system? Change filter/drier? System pressure check?
    Not wise. Not wise at all.....

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Be sure to label your system that it contains different freon and sealer. It will save some future shop/owner a lot of money as they won't have to contaminate their equipment, they'll just have to replace most of the system. Short term quick fix, not the correct fix IMO. If it needs freon, there is a leak, if you top it off, use the correct freon.

6. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Heck, even these cars are falling into the quick/cheap fix brigade!
    Ever wonder what becomes of these down the road folks?
    They're the problem cars you all like to moan and groan about, call the shop mechanics crooks and thieves because they HAVE to fix things properly and it will be NO cheaper the second go around.
    Typical, short term "not my problem" attitudes.

7. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Are you trying to say that you shouldn't use non-Ferrari R134a? 360's use R134a and I used R134a, no changes in refrigerant.

I could've checked the high side pressure at the least...for those of you at home, grab your dual gauge set. Low side should measure 2.0 bar (~29.0 PSI) and high side 13.5 bar (~195.8 PSI). Oh yes, do not overfill the low side, stick with the 2.0 bar from the factory manual.

As for the filter/drier change...this was just a simple refrigerant recharge. I don't believe the filter/drier gets changed at every AC service and yes, sometimes, you just need a little refrigerant. Mine was down only a few PSI's, if I had a 0 PSI reading or was significantly out of spec, then I would've been concerned that I had a major leak or system issue.

Follow up. AC works well now, had the car out Sunday and Monday. No abnormal compressor cycling and the lowest temperature reading at full blast from the center vents was 47.7 F. The workshop manual states it should be between 8-13 C (46-55 F).

robertjskelton likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't see anything wrong with topping off the A/C if there is a slight leak. You are just prolonging the "proper" repair. If it takes 3 years to come down in pressure again, it's not much of a leak. The only problem I have with what the OP did, is put in 134 with a sealer in it. I don't like gumming everything up with additives. I think he should have just topped off with clean 134a.
    Something else to consider is that if you have to top off often, you are losing a little compressor oil with the leaking refrigerant. If you add only 134a, you will have less and less oil in the system over time. The best way to fix leaking refrigerant, is to empty the system, fix the leak, replace the drier, vacuum the system and refill with the proper amount of 134a. All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to top my system off every few years with clean 134a. If it was a significant leak, I would definitely fix it properly though.

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Car-Air-Con-Regas-DIY-Tins-of-Refrigerent-BEWARE?ugid=10000000021782214

You are not drawing a vacuum. You don't know how much refrigerant is left in it. You haven't even checked for a leak.You can't accurately measure what the high-side is doing by randomly squirting refrigerant into the low side port. The system should be charged by refrigerant weight. Just because it's currently working doesn't mean the nose seal won't pop out of the compressor anytime soon. Injecting that gunk in with the refrigerant (which works like some of the crappy stuff you put in cooling system to plug leaks instead of fixing them) will contaminate the system, and it's not a good thing to have in there! I can't see any benefit in Cheaping out and risking a very expensive compressor or a whole dash-pull to replace a gunked-up evaporator.....?

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's the additives that can cause issues. Freon is available in straight form in any parts store and would have had the same affect. As Eddie states, just a band-aid, but that's what most folk are happy with nowadays.

11. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    a pro ac shop also adds additives such as uv dye, seal conditioner when refilling the ac.

if the ac is leaking though, it's better to find the leak. ac shops have a leak detector / sniffer that can pin point the leak better than dye.

since you filled it already. i would still ask a shop to look for leak after running ac for a few days. if you like diy, the sniffer is only $35-50, available at harbor freight or ebay. it'd be good to know you have a proper fix imo.

nothing wrong with topping off r134. vaccuum is needed when changing parts so you don't lose the r134. r134 is mostly oil. most shops will vacuum your r134 into the machine with other r134 and then put it back into the car.

12. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    You don't just vac out a system when you replace a component. The correct way to do it is to remove the gas, it is recycled (to get the trapped moisture out of it) then it is weighed and an oil reading is taken. After evacuation the system is vacuumed and the refrigerant plus the extra amount needed is added by weight, together with a uv dye and PAG oil. When you get it done properly, this is what happens. Shops use fully automatic machines, you set scale weight and vac time and it's done automatically. Vacuum is important as the water trapped in the system rots everything to hell. Don't believe me? Next time you change your drier bottle saw the old one in half. You will find a desiccant moisture pack and A LOT of rust inside...

13. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I see, to do over with again, I would've picked up just the straight R134a without any additives. I should've researched the options a bit more, that was my fault. At least I have now had a chance to research the IDQ product a bit more. They state that the leak sealer is more of a liquid based "o ring conditioner" than something that will gum up (like Fix a Flat)the system and that it will not foul up the AC equipment at a dealer either.

Well, not really...my initial game plan was that I would charge the refrigerant to see if that is all it needed. If that didn't help or if the AC stops blowing cold again in the next few weeks, then there's an issue and as the car is due for belts, have the dealer look at it then when the car is in for belts and the annual over the winter or spring.

14. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately shops are required to have licensed personel to work on A/C equipment, along with the correct recovery systems, leak testers etc. Also have to properly dispose of contaminated freon as a hazardous waste, VERY expensive! Because of this we need to test the stuff already in a car, any mixes are not recyclable and have to be evacuated separately then disposed of. Straight freon can be recycled without problem although it is run through filters to ensure being OK to go back in. It is hardly ever necessary to add dye, the current sniffers are ultra sensitive if the operator knows what they are doing.

Unfiortunately the ads on TV allow anyone to buy and add this mixture to their systems, the 'O ring' additive is designed to make the seals swell up, temporary fix and a failure down the road, just like the "trans leak" fixes.

But hey, it's cool in the car right now, so that's a good thing, right?

15. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    LOL, not just cool, it is incredibly cold now!

16. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Fantastic Post, Once again Ferrarichat and the Great group of guys come through again :)

17. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by up4speed
    The only problem I have with what the OP did, is put in 134 with a sealer in it. I don't like gumming everything up with additives.

Not really gumming anything up. The sealant is an oil based product. When in contact with air forms a sealant. As it is recirculating in the sealed system of the refrigerant circuit its compatiable with the refrigerant oil. Once it escapes from the source of the leak it forms a seal. Dont confuse this technology with tire sealants like Fix a Flat that has a rubber sealant compound to it. This is an entirely different technology.

18. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    Being a certified Automotive A/C person, the UV dye is really nice to have in the system. That way when a car comes in with no Freon in the system, you can scan the car with a UV light and find the leak without spending a lot of time with a scanner. Also, the scanners are really sensitive to hydrocarbons. The sensitive ones will go off from simply breathing on them. Sometimes leaks will happen only when the hoses are cool and not many people drive their cars in without getting them hot. R134A is manufactured to a standard so there is not a lot of variance between brands. However, some put in additives. Unless you are changing components such as a compressor, condensor and the like, you should not need to add refridgerant oil or additional dye and leak sealer. Stay with the plain style for top up. Even the best systems will weep a bit and might need toping up every year or so. Some won't. Also best to check high and low side with some real gauges. The top up variety only checks the low side. If there is a problem with the system, you can easily overcharge it by reading only the low side. I also tend to stay away from fixes in a can. If they swell up the o-rings, how do they know when to stop?

19. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    +1, well put sir. Only thing on the dye is that people wait until it has quit again by which time the trace can become spread out.

20. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    The dye is in the oil and unless it is a severe leak, it usually stays localized. Even then it makes it obvious. The neat part is you can show the customer before any work is done where the leak is. The dye is very hard to reomove. Brake cleaner will cut it but it really does not show except under a black light once the excess oil is wiped away. Most of the common leaks are going to be where the hoses clamp. Other common areas are the seams on the compressor and as the cars age, anywhere pipes connect with o-rings. Condensors and evaporators are highly overrated for leaks at least on most other cars.

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn't know how the stuff exactly works, however, I think a good rule of thumb is:
    If it didn't come in the car from the factory, it probably will have some side affect to it. I may be wrong, but if I care about my cars, I follow that rule. All that said, I have used the same stuff as the OP in some of my cars that I didn't care as much about. I had good success with it, it restored the a/c without any known side affects!

22. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #22 Alxlee, Sep 20, 2012
    Had a free ten minutes tonight so climbed back into the boot, removed the trunk panels and plugged the dual gauge in. Happy to say that the high side is within spec at about 190 PSI (this did drop a little after the picture was taken) and low side reading was the same 28 PSI, but I haven't driven the car since Monday so I didn't expect this to change.

23. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Good info in this thread but two opposite opinions to whether this is advisable.

The weather has been very hot here in the uk the last week or so is the first time I have ever needed to use the a/c. The a/c works just doesn't blow ice cold. I'm very tempted to try something like this as it's really not a priority to spend £200 on investigating the issue at a garage when I probably won't need to use the a/c again for another few years.

Can anyone tell me if I purchased a set of gauges and a can of top up, whether this is moderately advisable? The main concern as far as I can tell is that using just the can won't tell you if the high side is within the pressure range and therefore if its not and a top up is used, the pressure difference between the two sides will be too great and something will blow. If I measure both sides prior to any topping up, surely this reduces the chance of breaking anything?

I appreciate the use of plain freon is better than using stuff with additives.

Also would it be ok to use any gauges I already have such as a tyre pressure gauge that is capable of measuring up to the expected pressures the high side would be? I am unsure of the fitment type of the valves but an adaptor would surely be available to save purchasing another set of gauges especially for the job.

Greatful for any advice.

24. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Can anyone help?? Want to try a top up this weekend if anyone thinks by checking both pressures and top up with a can should be ok.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #25 vrsurgeon, Jul 26, 2013
    Just go out and buy one of these at your local Walmart or UK equivalent. Then open the panel in the front boot beneath the windshield. the AC recharge low pressure port will be visible and it will have the larger diameter nipple onto which you can fit the charger. Put it on, look at the pressure with the car running and then add some if you need.

It's what we in 'merica cawl redneck Ferrari repair. (If it can be purchased at Walmart it's a redneck repair)

Just be careful not to put too much coolant in. Too much and the compressor gets strained and you could kill it... just be warned.