Ferrari battery maintainer, how long to charge | FerrariChat

Ferrari battery maintainer, how long to charge

Discussion in '360/430' started by ONEOFEW, Nov 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 ONEOFEW, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I noticed my Ferrari battery maintainer that came with the car has been constantly on the half way battery indicator, even when it’s plugged for an entire week. So this means it’s trying to bring it up to a full charge. Honestly it’s been so long I can’t remember when was the last time it switched into full.
    Not sure what to make of this, since the car starts up every weekend just fine. Is my battery on it's last leg? Anyone on this board ever experience this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    how old is the battery ?

3. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    08 original Fiamm.

4. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had the same problem with the Ctek OEM Porsche charger. My battery ended up being too old. Might want to consider a new charger. The maintenance charging is more sophisticated with the newer chargers.
    From Ctek's site:

There can be several different reasons.
    •You have larger energy loads connected to the battery at the same time. The battery gets fully charged, but the energy loads cause the voltage to drop quickly and the charger almost immediately starts charging again. This could be why you do not have time to see it switch over. If this is the case a better choice is Multi XS 7000, when it is fully charged it automatically switches into float maintenance. The charger constantly delivers 13.6V for 10 days which means that larger energy loads can be connected without draining the battery.

•The battery can be in a bad state and have a high level of self discharge. The charger fully charges the battery but the battery loses its voltage so quickly that you do not have time to see it switch over to green. If this is the case the battery should be changed.

•It can also be caused there is a broken cell in the battery. It is more difficult for a battery with a broken cell to increase its voltage. The charger will keep charging and trying to get the voltage up. A battery with a broken cell usually gets very hot. If there is a possibility to check the fluid level within the battery you can see if one cell has more fluid left than the others.

5. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, sounds like I may have to invest in a MTP-91 before it's too late.

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    A week is too long, even for the low amperage charger that comes with the car. A good service outlet will test the battery for drainage. Should be 10-30 milliamps drainage. If it is more, replace the battery and save yourself some trouble. Not expensive.

7. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I thought Ferrari battery maintainers do just that, maintain. I wasn't aware they are designed to charge fully from flat!

8. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I just changed the battery on my 08 scud, it was a red top. If the car had sat for a week and the maintainer was hooked up it would take two days before the green would come on then alternate 30 sec on orange then 1 minute on green. After the battery change, with the car sitting a week, it now takes only several hours before the green comes on and alternates with the orange. I am now storing the car for the winter and I hook up the maintainer on the weekends.

9. HighandDry

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why don't you just keep it plugged in?

I believe, it's better for the battery to have the maintainer on it.

10. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I do not know it is better for the battery, it seemed like a waste. The old battery was about 5 years old and worked fine.

11. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To my surprise after taking off the footwell, instead of the Fiamm I found a Odyssey 1500 AGM in there, so I guess Ferrari at some point switched brands and type of batteries.
    MTP-91 is not going to work for me.
    Regardless I'm pretty sure maintainer staying on orange at all times tells me original Odyssey's going out. Time to find a exact replacement.

12. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    I always thought that Ferrari uses only Fiamm batteries for the 430 ...

Just fund the original Ferrari (Ctek) battery maintainer in the bag with the car cover some days ago, but couldn't find any terminal connection in the car to plug in the maintainer. Could you please post a picture of the connection with the battery maintainer. Thank you.

13. Mikkofin

Mikkofin Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2011
    Finland
    I keep mine plugged in for the whole time the car is not driven.

14. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think the connector is below the dash on passenger's side?

15. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  16. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Thank you very much:)

Our 430 doesn't have that plug in ... but I have a original maintainer ???

17. HighandDry

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the Ctek charger with the passenger plug in became standard in '07.

If you have the big OEM charger before '07 then the connection is in the trunk on the driver's side.

If it's the Ctek charger (like in the first pic), someone may have added pigtails so that the battery could be directly charged. Either where the battery is on the passenger side or behind the driver in the back. You can remove the panels easily and check it out.

18. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Thank you.

Our car is 05 so I don't have the new plug in near the battery, but the battery maintainer (small one - Ctek) is for this new plug in. Also don't have the old plug in in the trunk ...

I already added a pigtail to connect the batter charger, that may be the best way to charge. But I can't use the Ferrari maintainer for the F430... it will perhaps fit the next Ferrari ;-)

19. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    I plugged mine in on Sunday morning and on Monday morning had the same thing. I disconnected it then plugged it back in and it went to green. Myabe it didn't change or pick up.

20. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    maybe they dont mention it but they do charge. My battery was dead a couple of weeks ago and it took the maintainer that came with the car 2 days to charge it back to full.

21. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I thought the preffered location for battery maintainer's was behind the drivers seat, there is a connection there and I thought that was preffered over doing it at the battery itself.

22. HighandDry

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't think it much matters. Just depends on what's convient for you.

23. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Do your maintainers cycle from green to red every few minutes?

24. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    I use a CTEK from eBay and have plumbed the connector straight into the bus terminals under the passenger side (UK) fuse box cover being the seats. The plug come out from under the cover. I don't leave it plugged but when I connector up it goes green after about a day. Opening the doors is enough to make it go orange again. Not seen it cycle as such. I should leave it plugged in all the time, but I don't really like the idea having it powered up for long periods unattended.

Lee

https://www.facebook.com/OwningAFerrari360

25. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well boys, I just answered my own thread that I started two weeks ago.
    My Odyssey is toast.
    Initially I thought I couldn't replace it with a MTP-91, since I wan't able to find the breather hose, actually there is one tucked away on the back of the compartment.
    Happy to report, the MTP-91 is quiet a bid lighter then the Odyssey, fits right in.