DIY Sticky Interior Repair using Degreaser and Elbow Grease | FerrariChat

DIY Sticky Interior Repair using Degreaser and Elbow Grease

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Dec 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #1 Trent, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DIY Sticky Interior Repair using Degreaser and Elbow Grease

My 2006 F430 Spider has gone sticky, and not just a little. Most are so sticky that if you touch them your finger has a black tar on it that spreads with the same virility as napalm, just without the heat. My interior was great, just a touch sticky but very livable until it went to an unnamed south florida dealer for a header replacement under warranty. The car sat outside for 5 weeks awaiting backordered parts in the Florida summer heat and humidity. The car was returned cleaned but the interior parts had literally failed and melted to a black, tar like goo. There is really no recourse with the dealer, but leaving a 160k car outside, uncovered for 5 weeks in FL is disgraceful.

I realize there is at least one company that will de-sticky your interior pieces for a reasonable price. StickyNoMore for example. Please note that "reasonable" is highly subjective, but all reviews have been positive and this is labor intensive.

My main reason to DIY was that removing the parts to ship and reinstalling them after repair is a lot of work, so as long as I am committing to work, why not try and do it myself.

Now on to my DIY:
    ==============
    *Disclaimer: Results may vary. Do this at your own risk. Some unexpected things happened along the way. Parts break when you try and disassemble them. Do this at your own peril.

1. Wear blue nitrile gloves. They protect your hands from the degreaser and wash clean with a bit of water, much easier than skin.
    2. Remove each part from car. Some parts have hidden screws, etc, or require a trick. I will list a few:
    -a. Passenger door handle: You have to remove a screw under the pull mechanism, then remove the plastic surround first, this will expose a phillips that holds in the oh-***** handle.
    -b. The air vents can be removed by carefully inserting a flat head screwdriver under them in the center and pulling them evenly straight back. Some tabs will break, just use a bit of hot glue to reattach them. Some don't break off, but still have lost their foundation, I hot glued them as well. See pics.
    -c. The window buttons, park, hazard I cleaned in the car, fully mounted. It was easy and worked well. I see no need to remove them.
    -d. The door handles have a pull to open the door and wiring. I just cleaned the assembly in the car, by removing the one phillips screw and protecting the car with paper. Removing the screw gives you enough room to clean them just fine.
    -e. Radio knobs. Very sticky *****es. I removed them by just pulling them off.

3. Spray degreaser [ I used Greased Lightning, buy simple green or the like might work] on the items. Use your blue glove fingers to wipe it around for a minute or so. Wipe off with paper towel, and repeat until the paper towel is clean. *Be careful where you spray the degreaser. Don't go crazy. i.e. the air vents have lubed mechanisms and the degreaser will unlube them. Just spray where its sticky. **Always test a small part first.
    ***The degreaser will remove all goo, and there was no paint under the goo, from the passenger oh-sht handle bezel (see images). This was a metallic silver after. I painted to match using Rustoleum Automotive Black Flat Enamel (image).

4. Rinse parts with water to remove all degreaser residue.

5. Dry. It helps the parts dry faster if you are consuming your favorite beverage.

6. Assembly is the opposite of disassembly

So I only had one part that needed to be painted. The rest wiped clean. The part is the passenger handle bezel as shown. It took me all of 5 minutes to spray it flat black and get back to business.

Notes:
    ===============
    a. When cleaning buttons in the car, don't go cray with the degreaser. Just spray it on a paper towel, and then wipe the part. Let the chemical do the work! Then make sure to wipe a few times with a water soaked paper towel.
    b. Protect your leather. I taped surrounding leather
    c. You can remove your switches, help yourself, but did not seem to be necessary in my case.
    d. I also cleaned the AC control numbers and icons. They were somehow sticky as well. I just wiped over them a few times.

How long did it take?
    ================
    About 2 hours total, for all pieces:
    -5x air vents. I also hot glued the tabs as needed.
    -7+ buttons. Windows, parking lights, hazards, reverse, auto, top, rear glove box, etc
    -2x door handel assemblies
    -1x lower steering surround
    -2x radio knobs (I removed these for cleaning, they come off)

What were the side effects or unintended results?
    =======================================
    1. I lost the white text on the driver door handle "Lock" lettering. The passenger side was fine? I suppose the driver door was half gone to begin with.
    2. I lost the white arrows for the air vents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

lkstaack likes this.
  2. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Nice job and nice right up. I can't believe that only took 2 hrs? You must work fast.

I can't believe that the dealer put your car outside for five weeks. That's crazy. They should know better than that. Too bad you couldn't have them pay to have all your interior pieces redone.

Good luck

3. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    nice work! i did something similar on another car using paint thinner. tried alcohol and it wasn't strong enough.

4. newbwrx

newbwrx Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    PNW
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another great write up Trent. Thanks for sharing your insights and experience.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 up4speed, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Did the dealer "promise" you that they were going to put the car inside or cover it during the hot weather?

In one of my prior posts, you really bashed me when I had a problem with a "Florida dealer" not following through with their "promises" when purchasing my car. You then supported them, and not me, when I had the issues with them. I have to ask, why is it "a disgrace" that they left your car outside when they didn't even promise you anything? (if they promised you, then I have to agree fully with you). It really sounds to me that my situation should have been MORE of a disgrace...no? It seems like your situation is more carelessness, or an oversight. My situation pointed more towards dishonesty and deception. I am pointing out my observations, and have to wonder if maybe everything seems more dramatic/serious when it is happening to that person that is affected by it. I have to wonder, based on your posts related to my thread, that if the same issue happened to my car, would you have said "get over it, just fix it. These cars get sticky buttons, you should expect it, no car is perfect"?
    I'm very sorry that this happened to you, it really stinks, but I had to comment on my observations.

By the way, on a brighter note, nice work correcting the issue. I'm sure most of us will have to do similar work on our cars at one point or another, and this may help us. Thanks.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    florida heat kills all buttons. every newer car my parents have, has the same issue. the cars that do not exhibit this problem are the vintage ones where the knobs are aluminum, hard plastic, bakelight, etc. guess they knew a thing or two in the old days !

i am surprised that car manufacturers persist in using this type of material. surely they do hot weather testing around the world and realize what happens. and it cannot be a cost issue since plain old plastic would be better in the end.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    awesome tutorial
    nice work!

8. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Perfect timing! My window switches were getting sticky.

9. Supreme360Swag

Supreme360Swag Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Peninsula bay area
    Full Name:
    Allan
  10. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    #10 rob4092xx, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Great write up! Like you, I am a little bothered about how much it costs to have these sent out and refinished. I am sure the work is fantastic, but spending $1,000's to have them done just doesn't seem reasonable, especially when so many have done themselves it without much effort. Seems like all the work is in removing the parts...not refinishing them. I have even thought about starting to do this refinishing for others myself considering the profit margin there seems to be!

How did you keep the degreaser from getting behind the window switches, mirror switches, etc.?

Which pieces did you spray paint and which looked good enough after removing the goo?

Did you have any sticky issue before the car sit in the sun for five weeks? Have you had any dash shrinkage issues?

I recently refinished my F1 Paddles and must tell you..they look so much better than when they were right from the factory. I used a spray paint called "Hammered" by Rustoleum. The hammered finish not only hides fingerprints, imperfections in the plastic, etc., it looks really nice! The entire project took about 15 minutes from start to finish. Would hate to see what it would have cost me to send them out for refinishing!

Took about five minutes to remove the paddles, 1 minute to wipe them off with rubbing alcohol and five minutes to spray them. The hammered finish is super durable. There is not way they will ever scratch!

This is the paint and color I used:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29

atpcfiaim likes this.
  11. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I forgot....did you refinish the steering wheel column surround as well?

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Well for some parts removal was easy, like the air vents. But to remove the door handles would have been another hour or so to remove and reinstall the door panels. So lets say in general removal/reinstallation is 50% of the work.

I used care.
    1. Spray degreaser on paper towel, not the switch.
    2. Rub gently as not to make the degreaser leak into the switch cracks
    3. Repeat 1) and 2) until paper towel is not getting black anymore.
    4. Wet a fresh paper towel with water and do the same to remove residue and clean up.

This is the same for any switch you do not de-install. Just use a little degreaser. Soaking the part is not necessary.

Only the top part of the passenger door handle. In the images, its the only part that you can see a metal color during cleaning. Its an oval metal piece with two holes about 3" x 2" x 1.5"

Yes, they were a "little" sticky and I agree they would have failed at some point as all 355, 360, and 430s will eventually. But it was just tacky and did not leave my dates fingers with black tar smudges that only gasoline will remove.

My F1 paddles are aluminum. Yours were plastic with a coating?

Not really. I needed the car for a date, so I just half-arsed it with a quick wipe down. The column was so bad that even carefully inserting my key would leave tar somewhere on my hand. So I cleaned up a bit, like 5 min, but I will revisit it with a disassembly and good clean next week.

13. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The paddles are aluminum with a black coating. Mine started to chip so I took them off and sprayed them. Didn't have to sand them down since the hammered paint hides any imperfections. They turned out GREAT! I am going to consider spraying all of my pieces when I refinish them.

14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Thanks for sharing.......I'm going through this right now with my 355

15. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That's a really good write up, and I'm glad it worked for you.

I did mine using oven cleaner/simple green and dishwash to rinse, which yeilded the same results. I did lose a 'LOCK" word but I bought a label maker and made one.
    It worked really well and you can't tell.

I was thinking about sending the parts away but I thought the price was pretty high to be honest. I have no doubt it would have been better though...........maybe.

Shame on Ferrari for continuing to use the same materials.

16. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Trent,
    Very nice write up as I will be doing my 360 soon.
    I don't understand why manufactures repeat bad choices.
    What happened to constant quality improvement?

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    If you want me to swing by and help you with the first few pieces let me know? As I recall you are in the general Melbourne FL area.

Dont throw rocks around here, many reading this have been married two or more times ;) (not me personally)

True, very rare now a days. I see it only in a few fields;
    1. Superbikes
    2. Mars rovers (+1 to NASA)
    3. LiPoFe batteries (LiPo to some. These are the ones used in Hybrids)
    4. Younger women (could just be the ever changing contrast)
    5. Cellular telephones; we sure have come a long way from the Motorola Brick aka DynaTAC or 8xxx series (you know you had one), but I dont miss the DynaTACs $3.00 / minute!

18. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #18 yronZFF, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great job Trent! I stripped and repainted (or left bare) or replaced with carbon fiber, everything sticky in my 430, except for the 2 long vents by the windshield. Have you figured out the best way to do these? I'm not sure if they can be removed without removing the dash and there's not much room for cleaning them in place.

As far as your steering wheel column surround, the VIN plate is stuck on with very sticky 2 way tape. I initially just taped the top of the VIN plate to protect it during stripping, but it was easier to just remove it since the paint under the VIN plate was also sticky. When done, you can stick the VIN plate back on.

I also wish I knew about Greased Lightning because the surrounds were a bear to strip with Easy-Off and brake fluid!

19. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    So my reverse button looks gunky. And sticky. What exactly becomes sticky a coating of some kind on the button? The degreaser removes it leaving bare plastic?
    Will I lose the R on it when degreased unaggressively?
    Thanks

20. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    1. I dont know exactly what the coating is, likely a polymer but feels like plastidip.
    If I had to guess the polymer would likely be:
    ByWeight%...Chemical
    30%............VM&P Naphtha
    18%............Hexane
    15%............Toluene
    5%..............Methyl Ethyl Ketone
    26%............Resins
    6%..............?

Ferrari uses it on some of their sunglasses and their watch boxes if you want a sample to test with that is not part of your car.

2. The "R" is painted, and in a recess. It should still be there when you are done, but if not you can re-paint it because it is in a recess. My "R" was 100% post cleaning.

3. Once the "sticky" polymer coating is removed, you will have bare paint, not plastic, or at least so it seems on my button.

4. Posting a before and after pic here would be cool.

21. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do you guys think this problem is created by direct sunlight, heat (no sunlight), leather cleaners/conditioners or what? My 2002 doesn't have any sticky issues but I am concerned about the summer heat here in Phoenix. Won't ever drive it in sunlight during the summer months....too dang hot! However, it will sit in my garage where it gets super hot inside. Thinking about running my a/c in the garage this summer $$$$$$$$.

22. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Based on the fact that the goo is on all areas of the sticky part, those toward the sun, and those areas that are almost always shaded I would say direct sunlight is not the sole contributing factor.

Here is my guess;
    1. Heat (direct sunlight will directly increase heat)
    2. Age
    3. Humidity

I do not believe that car care products are part of the problem, nor do I believe that car care products will help prevent the issue.

I do believe that every 360 and F430 will suffer from the "sticky" surface issue at some point

Happy thoughts!

23. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    Ok. Good info. When I get to it I will post before and after pics.

24. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anyone else have a 360 with perfect buttons? What have you done or didn't do? How is your dash...any shrinkage? What part of the country are you in?

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

It has nothing to do with sunlight. I open brand new Ferrari boxes with plastic parts that are *ALREADY* sticky. Yes, you read that properly. Brand new, already gross and sticky. Even if its the fault of a hot warehouse in Italy, its still *way* too early. The last one I specifically remember looking at was a 360 mirror switch holder with a stamped date code of 2010. Fresh out of the box, it was goo.

We send them (before even shipping to a retail customer) to stickynomore for refinishing.