New Scud Owner - Have Problems - Need Help | FerrariChat

New Scud Owner - Have Problems - Need Help

Discussion in '360/430' started by dbonvillain, Dec 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    #1 dbonvillain, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My confidence is waning quickly with my local dealers capability to get my car back together after attempting a clutch install. Can anyone recommend THE guy in the country that does work on the SuperFast2 tranny? At this point I would like to try and contract in a consultant or something that can perhaps cast their magic wand on the situation and all goes better.

Basically I took delivery of my Scuderia...I bought it from a friend of mine and know the car. Knowing that there was like 20% clutch left and wanting to have my new whip sorted properly, I took it down to the dealer within an hour of ownership to get a new clutch/throwout/etc. installed. Having pre-set the appointment weeks before in anticipation of the cars arrival, I knew they had the hardware in there and we should be good to go.
    My first ride in it to get the 65 miles to the dealer was OUTSTANDING...seriously - the Scuderia is amazing...and honestly the tranny was one of the highlights. My last exotic was an 08 Gallardo, and the Scud is definitely a superior vehicle (well...at least I thought...at this point I am wishing I had bought another Lambo given my F-car ownership experience to date)

Well they swap the hardware for the clutch and when they are done - "it wont shift into gear". So at that point they (the dealer) are convinced is a failure of everything else surrounding the clutch - the actuator, the ECU, the F1 pump, etc. etc. Problem is - all that stuff was working perfectly a mere few minutes before so the likelihood that an ECU fails immediately on hardware replacement, or that the pump system that was working perfectly suddenly dies, etc. is unlikely logic in my head.

Flash forward a couple weeks following arduous troubleshooting and what we have is == a diagnosis of "we don't know", and now a blanked F1 ECU due to a reflash that didn't take and there are no more F1 ECUs anywhere in the world apparently (outside of the one my buddy is letting them borrow off his Scud to test why my car won't shift)...so even if they figure out what got messed up on the clutch install, the car still won't run cause there is now no ECU.

Needless to say I am not super stoked and growing more weary of the situation on a daily basis. At this point they have contacted FerrariNA in hopes of getting the ECU back to life - but that's end of next week at best.

Any thoughts on a hired gun that knows this stuff to come in and consult? (not sure any dealer would actually allow this)
    Anyone ever heard of some crap like this happening before? is it par for the course with Ferrari ownership and I should just suck it up?

Pics of the car that I 'think' I own are attached (creds to EGarage on the first one) - the little mini version is a replica of the car when it was on Gumball in 08...somehow I think it's the only one I will actually have at my house for several months...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Bittersweet congrats. That must be Knicks car.

I was giving it some consideration when it was listed at FofSV. What turned me away was a combination of knowing its history and the fact that the dealer was mentioning that something needed to be fixed before the car was to be delivered. I don't remember the details but I think the dealer mentioned something related to the transmission.

Hope it gets sorted out. It's definitely one of the most unique and beautiful colors on a Scud.

3. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    ^^ Yeah same car and thanks.
    I know Nic well. The driving it had doesn't/didn't scare me at all...I was with him for part of those miles anyway and I prefer a driven car to one with no miles. All it needed was a clutch/throwout bearing/rear seal...which I figure is standard fare given 17k miles on the clock and 'spirited' driving :) He had actually taken the car back from FofSV even before I grabbed it and was going to possibly keep it and do the service himself. Given the car and my familiarity with it, I didn't really mind coughing up the other 6-8k or whatever for a fresh clutch and whatever else necessary and just figured I would bring it to it's new home and sort it here...I just wish now that I had done that out there under his ownership... but I wanted to drive the darn car :)

Hell - I would be more accepting of the whole situation if it was 'off' in any way shape or form getting it to the shop...but the thing was straight butter and perfect...
    and even at this point - if anyone could say 'ah, well it's this part that has failed' but nobody can.

4. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As desperate as the situation may seem, I wonder if you can have the car taken to another dealership for another perspective on the fix since the current one can't pinpoint the issue.

I take it you're in Denver? Unfortunately I don't think there's another Ferrari dealer in your state.

Did the current dealer give you any type of timeframe on when they'll hear back from FofNA?

5. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I can not help you specifically on your clutch issue, just not enough information and I am no expert anyway.

However I will offer you some advice on how to handle the situation.

Options: (in order that I recommend)
    1. Have them flat bed it to another dealer. I recall an electrical gremlin that eluded dealer A, and dealer B nailed it fairly quickly. In the end the dealers workshop has a few techs, and the techs have a finite experience level. Trying another dealer or qualified Indi is not a bad idea to get fresh eyes on the issue. I would have dealer A refund your funds, or reimburse dealer B. That will be a bit trickier.

2. Just wait and be patient. Eventually they will resolve the issue, possibly with the assistance of FNA and/or Ferrari proper.

My guess at the issue?
    a. sensor damaged, mis-aligned, incorrectly installed
    b. shift actuator needs alignment, there is a special tool for that.

Many dealers are system level troubleshooters as opposed to component level troubleshooters. i.e. they may want to replace the $15-20k F1 "system" as opposed to identifying and repairing the actual faulty <$1k piece.

6. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Info on the 430 F1 system and alignment tool can be found in the worksop manual at D6.08 CENTRING THE GEAR SHIFT-SELECTION ACTUATOR LEVER (FINGER)

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Workshop.htm

You can use the 430 workshop link, besides being "superfast2" its likely the same.

Page 389 in the PDF Workshop Manual F430 Spider.pdf

7. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Given the holidays it will be end of next week at best...
    One of my bigger concerns right now is I think the only reason they are hitting FNA up is to try and revive the ECU that is now bricked. And despite the bricked ECU, the actual issue still is not solved.
    Even with the good ECU it isn't actually selecting the gear. All the tranny hardware shifts manually fine - but no love through getting it to do it electronically. The troubleshooting logic they are using appears to be sound (and I am not a mechanic...so what do I know...cept I do my fair share of troubleshooting complex problems) as they have been isolating components and eliminating them as culprits...problem is they are running out of components to isolate and there are still no solutions and nobody has provided any clarity as to who exactly is paying for the weeks of diagnosis on what should have been a relatively straightforward service.
    (my other fear currently is that even if everything gets figured out and solved, if FNA can't revive the bricked ECU - then the car is down for 45+ days waiting for a new computer based on failed troubleshooting procedures)

sorry for the venting on f-chat...but it is cathartic as I have no other outlet for discussion cept to just wait indefinitely

8. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Thanks Trent. Agreed on your logic there too (and reading the shop guide now...the techs are gonna hate me :)).
    There is a great Indi guy up in Boulder but he doesn't work on the modern cars. Todd with the Lambo dealer is an awesome tech and going to do some asking around too. Given my geography, I may be out of luck on another option for a proper dealer - and honestly the guys there have been very nice and it's not like it's the only Scud in town and other local guys have a lot of faith in their capabilities...so I am trying to not grow negative feelings towards them overall.
    I know I am eating some delays due to the time of year, which I will just have to suck up...but dang man - I really wanted my Fcar for christmas with a big bow on it. The weather sucks and I couldn't get a grip of great driving in anyway...but based on my limited time behind the wheel so far - ANY miles on it are GREAT DRIVING :)

9. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have any suggestions for an ecu fix, but I did have a similar problem with my Scud a couple of years ago engaging gear. The fault was a (the?) valve in the e-diff. Apparently, when this valve fails, it prevents car from engaging any gear.

Not sure if the symptoms were same or not, my car was just stuck in neutral and wouldn't go into reverse or first gear. Had to be flat-bedded to dealer and that's what they told me. Don't think my car was the only one with this problem. Kept the car another 5000 miles with no further issue.

Hope this is helpful rather than adding confusion as I know it would be rather coincidental for this to fail at same time.

Best, Paul

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Small world..

I actually have a Scud in the shop for over a month I tried ordering that ECU for, but your shop got their order in first. LoL

With that said, your shop already has one of the best technical resources available, the factory and it's technical advisors.

They would have to have opened what's called a " Red on Line " when your car came into the shop. That in turn opens the line of communication between the dealership and the technical department. ( They just have to use that option )

For what it's worth, the car we have in the shop is doing the same thing yours is, just without the previous clutch work...

S

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #11 freshmeat, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    As someone else put it, Knick's car had 9 lives; I guess it's down to its last one now.

It is a beautiful color combo, just needs some exterior carbon & this ecu thing fixed and it will be amazing. Best of luck!

Edit: Sad to hear you didn't get it with the custom x-pipe! That thing was crazy!

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    There are only two men I trust with the ferrari, Richard and Fernando at http://www.competizionecars.com

They have sponsored and put out a winning F430 race team and will at a minimum talk to you about options and possible solutions. People ship their Fcars to them from all of the country. They are also sponsors here on Fchat with a huge reputation.

Best of luck!

13. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Meh - like I said, I am not worried about Nic's car, it's use/miles/etc...The Scuderia's seem stout, so if it's through 9 lives, I'd say it's got a dozen or more in it. Honestly I may be more concerned had it not been so perfect during my initial drive before the service. This is something else besides the ecu - had they not bricked it during diagnosis, the ecu wasn't the issue (albeit - it is now :))...but I figure they will get it solved. As long as we figure it out and I don't pay a grip or go without the car for an eternity for a silly mistake it will all be okay.
    If it's the e-diff system - that's a replacement of the F1 pump system right? (given - I hear that's not inexpensive...but at least it would be identified and sorted relatively quickly and easily)

14. Sandoval

Sandoval Karting

Jan 25, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On the bright side it's not May-Sept. and you're not missing 80 degree sunny days! When you're back up and running you should come on some drives with us. Don't stress you will be on the road before you know it. Good luck!

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Aaaah fun. Not sure about the intricacies of the Scud F1 system, I would agree that it *sounds* like something simple that was not fitted properly when reassembled. We've all done it when reassembling a complex group of parts, only at the last minute to go "darn" when that extra screw is on the floor when its done. My bettin' money usually isn't on the ECUs.. I'd go with a misplaced sensor, connector, or misc. system that is interlinked like the EDiff. But I'm just an armchair internet mechanic with 20/20 hindsight vision. ;) Most repairs I've experienced were usually simple things at heart that took a ton of time to find.

On the good side, once you have this sorted it's going to be rock solid for a very long time. :)

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #16 freshmeat, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Thing is FoSV didn't know what the problem was exactly either & were going back and forth on whether to buy the car, in the end they backed out at the time. My scud was keeping his company for quite awhile, for some warranty carbon replacement bits from Georgia, then someone inadvertently nicked my plexiglass-glass hatch and they had to order me a new one! All in all my car was down an agonizing 2 months for seemingly simple cosmetic stuff and was his close bunk buddy.

I too was seriously considering trading my scud for knick's but after some discussion I walked away...i know, i know I'm a pu$$ay, just didn't have the gonads to take on the risk+work+going down to an 08 from an 09. I love that color combo though, so much so I caught myself frequently still thumbing through pics for weeks after the fact lol.

I really hope this scud gets back on the road! Keep us apprised of the journey, good luck!

17. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Thanks dude! It will be back I assure you...and if it's anything like it was in the 60 or so miles I have gotten to drive it so far - it will be SPECTACULAR! :)

18. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    If it helps, my 09 Scuderia has been over 2 months at a dealer, with F1 shifting issues.

I was at a racetrack (Sebring), and the car was shifting fine. Then on my 2nd 25 minutes session, the car started mis-shifting (going to N then to the intended gear). Back at the garage after my 2nd session, I noticed the car would not go on reverse anymore, but all forward gears were working fine. After my 3rd session the car would not go into Reverse, and no forward gear except 1st.

Car has under 14,000 miles.

My car has a new e-diff control valve, new F1 solenoid and new F1 pump installed in May-July due to e-diff errors on the dashboard since April.

This last time, no errors were displayed on the dashboard.

The first diagnose, my TCU (transmission control unit) went bad. I'm still puzzled on how a small computer would fail on its own, not being a mechanical part, and being isolated from humidity and heat.

FNA shipped a new TCU but it came with no programming, later on the same new unit reprogrammed was installed and the car started shifting again, but it will not align the clutch, and shifting was harsh. Currently everything points out to a faulty F1 actuator (the bulky part next to the transmission), and the cost of the actuator is mind blowing.

As of now, the car has accumulated over $25,000 on repairs related to the F1 system just this year. I have been talking to F430 Challenge owners and they do not experience this type of failures, so I'm afraid that the SuperFast2 might be just a SuperFragile2, and I cannot justify $25,000 bills (not including any transmission maintenance, or clutch replacement) every 15,000 miles.

Unfortunately, these automated single clutch transmissions did not evolve well since their introduction back in 1996 with the BMW SMG, and they have been silently replaced with the dual-clutch units now popular with most brands.

Personally, I don't like the mute and numb feeling on the DCT, but I don't like the $35k bills either (if I add clutch replacement, and frequent transmission oil changes, to the actuator and sensors replacement cost). There are no Scuderias with manual transmissions, and there are no Scuderias with a DCT, so I'm going to wait for the next 991 GT3 RS (with a manual tranny), or expect the used price adjustment on the 997 GT3 RS 4.0.

At least my car is in good hands, with the best Ferrari dealer I have dealt with so far (Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale), and with great technicians.

My ideal car: a 2009 Scuderia with steel brakes and a manual transmission.

19. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    ^^^ wow, really sorry for your experience...so I guess it does make me feel a 'little' better? Perhaps worse :)
    Good part on my side I suppose is that neither I or Nic were experiencing anything weird prior to the service...sounds like yours was acting funny on its own.

20. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Thanks Ronnie. I'm trying to be optimistic right now :)

21. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    F430GT: How does that experience change your thoughts on the Scud's reliability, if at all?

22. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Love the shop images;

1. The oil drain pan, all dirty and old, looks like money with the Ferrari sticker on it.
    2. The transmission dolly has clearly been used backwards enough times to promote them to inscribe "430 Facing Rear" on it ;)
    3. Beautiful and unique color on your Scud

23. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    ^^ thank you sir. Here's to figuring out what is going on with it in the new year!
    I was freaking out a bit before, but I know it will get sorted and will be even more spectacular than it was in my first taste. Looking forward to cruising with you local guys when they get me sorted (at least when being on a bike isn't appropriate :))

24. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    If you trust Sloans used pricing, those 4.0s are going nothing but UP...they'll cost more than the Scuderia did when new here pretty soon maybe :)