I have an lumpy idle, figured out a pattern and I would like to hear your thoughts. | FerrariChat

I have an lumpy idle, figured out a pattern and I would like to hear your thoughts.

Discussion in '360/430' started by up4speed, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I posted a quirk with my car a while ago. Every few weeks I noticed that the idle became lumpy while I was at a red light waiting for the light to change. It was so infrequent that it confused me. Well, I just confirmed a pattern today! I realized that after I fill up with fuel, it happens at the first red light I come to. After putting a mile or so on the car it doesn't do it any more, until the next time I fill up again. It will always run smooth and strong when driving at any speed, this problem only happens when the car is idling and stopped.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what may cause this behavior? Now that I know that it's consistent and I know when to expect it, it's not too big of a deal. However, I would really like to know why. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Do you typically fill up right after leaving the house and is the station close? If so, try running the car and then filling up after it's fully warmed. Seen issues like this with leaky fuel injectors and never reaching full temp.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I usually drive it at least 8 miles before I fill up. If its Leaking injectors, why would it be any different from stopping any other time, then restarting?
    If it is leaky injectors, would a bottle of techron help?
    Do you think it has something to do with the gas cap? Maybe a pressure issue when it's opened. It doesn't sound right to me, but I can't think of any reason why removing and reinstalling the cap would affect it.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Makes me wonder if when you fill it completely if

1) you're getting some fuel being drawn into the evap system with full fill
    2) the solenoid valves are closing with full tank, leading to erratic idle

I usually don't fill mine all the way up, I think the evap system on these cars functions better with fuel below the top. I spoke with a friend who has a mini clubman, she had an evap solenoid valve go when she topped off the tank. Makes me wonder if its something similar.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmmm, that sounds like it makes sense. I do want to add that I never force fuel into my cars. After the pump shuts off, I stop pumping fuel in. I know it's bad for the charcoal canister to do that. Wouldn't all are cars do that if that was the issue? I'm sure I'm not the only one to fill up my car? I'm sure there is even those that force more fuel in after the pump stops the first time.
    Curt, if that is the issue, what can I do to fix it? (Or at least confirm it?)
    Other than filling it to 3/4 of course. Lol

6. rotaryrocket7

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    What I heard re:the injectors was that while cold and in closed loop it can flood them out and if you have a small leak it'll result in a hard start when not warmed and then an erratic idle until warm. Techron may help, in my case I had them remapped by RC engineering and the issue went away.

The evap suggestion makes more sense, especially if you're not having any long crank starts after filling up.

Best of luck and report back!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- A 12 oz bottle of Techron is $12 and worth a try. Cannot hurt and cured my rough cold start problem.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks guys, I'll try putting in a bottle of Techron. I'll also change the spark plugs just for good measure. If I change them, my car will have the new designed plug, plus I can also eliminate any possible incompetence from the dealer that I bought it from. They did a compression test when I bought it, so I don't trust that everything was torqued properly etc.
    I'll get back with the verdict after I use up a full tank with Techron.

9. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make sure you get the bottle with Techron. Chevron makes a different, much less effective product in the same black bottle. One has Techron the other doesn't.

Techron was the only product that fixed a fuel guage problem in my C5 Corvette. Now the only fuel I put in my cars is from Chevron since they put Techron in all fuels.

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the heads up Rob.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn't use up enough gas to put the Techron in yet, but the more I think about it, the more I fear that it's the intake manifold gasket. It has an inconsistent idle, and I just thought about something else now. When the car is idling and I stab the throttle quickly to about 4,000rpm, once the accelerator is released, the car drops to about 500 rpm's, then stutters and goes back up to about 1,050 RPM. I think it did this the whole time I've owned he car and it hasn't gotten worse.
    What do you guys think?
    By the way, here is a video of the car idling after a cold start. It is a little high, but it settles down after a minute or so. Look at the unsteady RPM's. If need be, I can also get a video of the way it drops down after I stab the throttle momentarily.

Cold Idle - YouTube

12. rotaryrocket7

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If you've got a manifold leak grab some ether (starting fluid) and spray small amounts around to see if you get the idle to move, if it does, viola, your leak is found. or, I think you can smoke test it as well (don't qoute me on that as I'm a bit more "old-fashioned" :)

Either way it's easy enough to find out and then at least you have a path to correction.

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes Matt, that's a good point, I'm going to try and find it with some starter fluid. Not knowing if it has a problem is really bugging me.

3 questions:

1- Is the starter fluid trick a 100% indicator, or is it possible that it can be leaking internally and not sucking air from the outside, therefore the starting fluid may not make it rev when sprayed on there? If I spray around each runner and the idle doesn't change, can I be certain that the intake manifold gasket is fine?

2- What is the proper torque for the intake manifold bolts, I can't seem to find the spec in the shop manual. I would like to make sure that the bolts didn't loosen up a little.

3- I know propane in an unlit torch can be used to find the leak also. However, I don't have propane, I only have a Mapp gas torch. Can I use Mapp gas instead, or should I just get the starting fluid to be safe?

Thanks!

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just got back inside from spraying propane at all the gaskets areas on the intake manifold. I used a long tube on the torch so I can get right in there. There was no noticeable change in the idle. I guess that's good news.
    I will try the Techron and new plugs, then report back. I'm thinking that the behavior that my car is showing is probably normal, and I'm just over reacting...who knows.
    I attached two videos of my Tach. First one is with a cold engine. It shows how the RPM's drop to about 500 when the throttle is pressed and released. The second one was after approximately 5 minutes (after I checked the manifold). In that one, you will see that the RPM's no longer drop once the car was warmed up a little. Is that normal behavior for these cars?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egob5AkPy1E]Ferrari 360 Rev with cold engine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Y-Id7N3kc]Ferrari 360 Rev after running for 5 min - YouTube[/ame]

15. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Not normal IMHO. Here's a video of a cold start in my car at 46F. I don't blip the throttle like you did but I do drop it after building revs. At 0:20, you'll see the rpms do dip the very first time I touch the throttle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlpsy_nK3s]Ferrari 360 cold oil pressure problem - YouTube[/ame]

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hmm, if anything, that video seems to support that my car IS normal...
    The Tachometer does sway exactly like mine does, which makes be feel better. Also, I would like to point out that if I build the revs gently, even with a cold engine, the RPM's will not drop like they did in my video. I'm pretty positive that if I did the same thing that you did, my car would have behaved exactly the same way.
    If you get a chance, when the engine is first started cold. Just stab the throttle slightly, Maybe up to 3,000 rpm max, then release it abruptly. I wonder if yours will then be the same as my car?
    If that is actually not normal, do you have any ideas of what it could be?
    Hopefully Techron and a set of plugs will be the solution if in fact it is a problem.

17. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I agree the lumpy idle seems to be normal. I was thinking more about the rpm drop. Happy to try a quick stab and let you know.

Of course, there's nothing that says my car is right, either. :) My IR thermometer revealed that the exhaust on one side of the engine warms up more quickly than the other. Problem? *shrug* Who knows?

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good point.

19. joeyof355

joeyof355 Rookie

May 24, 2012
    Next time get a F355

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- On all late model Ferraris, the intake manifold bolts are very lightly torqued and tend to loosen from vibration. Retorquing to the correct value in a pattern starting from the middle to the outside, like a cylinder head, may help if the Techron concentrate does not help.

The problem is bad enough that I have my techs torque the intake manifold bolts at every annual.

21. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    360 manifolds typically don't become loose like the v12s. The gasket failure is due to crap gasket material that gets baked in the v of the engine. If it only happens when you fill it, you could have an issue with the charcoal canister or associated system. Only someone who knows how it works properly and who posesses an sd2 can diagnose this properly. Ignore posts about injectors etc....

22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info. I'll mention it to the tech next time I take it in for an inspection.

I'm pretty sure that the gasket is not damaged, but I'm reaching for ideas because I'm not convinced that the car is running the way that it should. I don't feel that there is any huge issue as of now, but I would like to take care of it if there is in fact an issue, even if it's minor.
    As I said above, my best approach as of now is to just let the tech know about my findings when I get the state inspection done.

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow Joe.....OUCH....
    I saved my reply to you so I can post it independently from the others.
    Hmm lets see, I'm complaining about a "possible" problem here. One that shouldn't be a big deal once it's diagnosed properly (if there is even a legitimate problem). Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things if you think about it, right?
    Now if I were to complain about a bad header, a cracked buttress, a headlight that doesn't go up, bad coils, backfiring issues and maybe some other things...THEN I may be able to see your point. ;)

Touché!!!
    See you at our next Cars & Coffee :)

Love you buddy, thanks to you I'm driving a fine piece of machinery! Now we just have to give my brother that nudge ;)

24. pormike1

pormike1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2013
    Corpus Christi TX
    I (hope) don't think you have a problem. My 2002 Spider sounds the same and just had a major service at Norwood in Dallas. James said everything is fine.

25. mfennell70

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    As promised, cold starting my car and blipping the throttle a little bit. My rpm does not drop below 1k.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2dAEZp6AE]Ferrari 360 cold start gentle revs - YouTube[/ame]