360 belt service interval: 5 years with newer Kevlar belts? | FerrariChat

360 belt service interval: 5 years with newer Kevlar belts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by M. Brandon Motorcars, May 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    #1 M. Brandon Motorcars, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
    Yes, another belt service interval thread. :)

I'm having a discussion with someone about 360 belt service intervals. Now, I know about the Ferrari service bulletin stating that for the modern V8 cars, the belt service interval is 3 years/30K miles.

However, I just got information from my very trusted independent Ferrari technician, as well as the local Ferrari dealer, that with the newer Kevlar belts available, the belt service interval is 5 years/50K miles.

So, if a car has the newer Kevlar belts from the previous belt service (i.e. the service was done within the last few years since the newer belts were available), is this true? Does anyone have any official Ferrari documentation on this?

Edit: Before I posted this, I did do a search on this topic. I still posted because I cannot get a definitive statement on this, if a definitive statement actually exists that is. :)

2. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    The problem with the belt service isn't only the belts, but the tensioner bearings as well and while you're in there, there's the water pump that needs to be looked at for leaks... In the end it's all about preventive maintenance. This is not your run of the mill chevy or something where you can get a motor around the corner... They don't make the 3.6 ltr engine for the 360 anymore, so I wouldn't advise doing more than 3 years between belt services... BTW, nowhere is it mentioned by Ferrari that you can stretch the belt service to 5 years with Kevlar belts . Their WSM as well as the owners maintenance manual clearly states that the belt changes are required every 3 years.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What new Kevlar belts? Part number different from 184986, which replaced 181610 over a decade ago, and was introduced before the technical bulletin was published in May 2004? 184986, which does have Kevlar, was introduced around the 2002 timeframe and at about the same time as the new Kevlar belts for the 575M, part number 184688. Ferrari published two bulletins on those belts after they were introduced, and one says 5 years for the 575M and the other says 3 years for the 360. 360 belts live in a much harsher environment than the V12 belts on the 575M and 612 and rev 1000 rpm more.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I change my belts every 7 years. And guess what.... When you hold the old belts next to the new belts, they look exactly the same! Of course there are people who will argue that the belts should be changed every 3 years or less! Some people don't drive their cars and still change the belts. Some people just wait until the miles are at 30,000 or 50,000. This is an age old debate. If you search the forum this topic along with the "clutch" topic, these threads are always the biggest

5. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    1+

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just driving around for an hour or so and parking it. There is so much heat soak to the entire engine bay and surrounding structure that I think it took at least 4 hours for it to cool down. This is with the engine bonnet up! Of course it's warm where I live maybe about 86 degrees but still I am amazed how long that puppy stays hot after a drive. This is another reason to stay on the prescribed belt regimen, heat cycles and heat soak to the max.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I do 5 years. Just because I want to.

I also believe if you look long enough at the sky at night, you'll eventually see a falling star...

8. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    If you talk to a good mechanic who has worked on these things for a long time you will hear that the problem with the belts and needing to change them every three years is from sitting more than anything. When one part Of the belts sit in a pinched or curved position where it's stressed more for a long time and then someone gets in and tips through the gears after it sat like that for 6 months and drives it like they stole its put in a harsh situation. Drive it regularly and I've talked to numerous guys around here who do 5 years on the normal belts with no probs. sitting kills it more than anything

9. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Earlier this year I looked at a one-owner 1999 360 with about 15K miles that had the original belts on it. I think the guy was crazy to push it that far, but it does say something that the belts and tensioner bearings can last that long.

I ended up not pursuing the car because of other issues.

10. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Just done belts and tensioners on my 2000 modena, not sure how long ago was done previously but both belts with the driver side more, were stretched .... my advise ? I would follow the Ferrari 3 years intervals !

11. dcarroll95

dcarroll95 Rookie

Aug 7, 2014
    Just got a low mileage car driven just 2000 miles since last belt change 6 years ago in 2008. Took it apart first thing and found the driver side belt was so loose I couldn't get a harmonic reading. Passenger side reading was low too at 60Hz when it should have been 100Hz.

Yes it had a Kevlar belt code dated end of 2007 on a June 2008 install.

It takes only a few hours to inspect it each year when you change the coolant so that's my plan. Belts every 3 years for me too.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    100hz??

Where did you get that spec?

It's wrong by a whole bunch.

13. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'll have to check the manual later, but I thought the math is an an aggregate of both "branches" on each bank at ~100hz equaling 190-220hz.

14. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I had a 99 360 with a hair under 20k miles, that was on stock everything (besides Fluids)........... 14 years! People are nuts

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I look at it this way. You can shell out a small amount of money every three years or gamble and possibly shell out for a motor rebuild when the valves meet the pistons.

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm wondering, has anyone considered a belt-to-chain conversion? Not sure how difficult this would be to achieve, but it could be worth it if you were going to keep the car a long time and were otherwise planning to replace the belts every three years.

17. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It's a Ferrari, not a Ford. Follow the maintance schedule, that's what I do. My 2 cents...

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is talked about every time someone says the word "belts".

Cheaper to buy a 430 than convert/butcher a perfectly good car

19. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I guess that's why I did. ;)

20. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Not just the belt that has to be serviced regularly back there. Cam seals also tend to need to be changed every other major service, so you are not buying anything by never doing belt changes.

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I had a few reasons why I went with a 430 vs a 360 and no belts on the 430 was one of them.

That being said, I know me and I would probably replace between 3-5 years if I owned a 360.

22. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    To my knowledge with the service history I have my car has two belt changes in 15 years and 29k miles (last changed at 21k and 2012). I'll probably go with the 3 year interval as my left bank cam seal is weeping (so that lasted 15 years and 29k miles) otherwise I would go with a 5 year interval. Not bad enough so was advised to change out at next belt service which will be next July.
    Alan

23. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 Black360, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below is screen shot from the FWM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 Black360, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The screen shot below is from 19July2011, but there are many other examples. I was told that the service manager at FOQ later retracted his statement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- That is the sum of the two branches on each timing belt, not the sum of one branch from each bank. One branch from each bank would make no sense at all since one at 20 and one at 200 would give you what you needed.