430 Scuderia Pricing/Supply | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia Pricing/Supply

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zinger, Aug 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    It appears that the number of 430 Scuds for sale currently is a lot lower than say, a year ago. I remember last year around this time when it seemed Scuds were being sold left and right, anybody else notice this or give an explanation why?

Perhaps Scud owners purchased 458's, not really sure. It seems Scud pricing has also flattened a bit for the moment, lower supply could be the reason....??

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am interested in buying a Scud and have been watching the scud market for the last month or 2 and there are a fair number of them available across the country .. I am waiting to see what happens when the 458 version (whatever they call it ) comes out ... I am hoping the price softens ... I also see several 16ms on the market .. However I have no reference from last year . would be curious has the price softened or increased over the last year or 2...I am mainly interested in the Scuds vs the 16M .
    LarryH

3. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Zinger, your observation is correct. Prices have definitely flattened. Lower supply than last year. Perhaps improving economy , people holding on to cars longer or 458 is not suitable upgrade for most scud owners. I just sold mine , I haven't found a single car yet that can replace the scud. I am waiting to see how the 458 scud will be priced.

4. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Many of the scuds out there have had soo many owners, these cars really get around... I checked a few and one had 4 owners and another had 5!

I sold my f430 2 months ago and was planning to get a 458 coupe. I am contemplating a scud. I really dont want to get murdered on resale in a few years so the scud will probably be a lot safer buy. It seems a decent scud is in the mid 170's range buy price give or take miles, options etc. I just cant see the scuds going much lower than 150, maybe mid 140's if ever, unless the car has crazy miles etc...

Now the 458's on the other hand, they are going to lose $20,000 $25,000 a year as we speak, they are just now starting to hit the BIG depreciation hit, same thing happened to the 360 and 430's first few years out, then they dropped.

The scud is A LOT of car for the money, just hard to find a nice, low mile 1 or 2 owner example it seems.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THis is something I have noticed every car I have seen has had 4 to 5 owners which is a lot for a 4 or 5 year old car.. I see asking prices around 175 to 190 depending on yr and mileage. I personally would like to find a 1 or 2 owner car with maybe 5 to 8 k miles prefer a 2009.. with alcanatara interior. prefer one with some red in the interior ... just sayin....
    LarryH

6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I don't think the Scuds are going to drop much over the next 2 years or so. The replacement scud is going to be priced in the $330-350k range. They won't start appearing until next spring for the early ones , around the summer of 2014 for most. I find, the outgoing model usually firms up ever more when the replacement car is announced and for about a year or two afterward. I think you'll be pretty safe with a scud for a while. I don't believe they will be cheaper than the CS as some people think but rather sit just above them in cost.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not saying it's ideal, but don't be afraid of a car with lots of owners if you have records and a good PPI. My 612 had SEVEN owners prior to me. A scud with five would be about on track for that kind of turnover. What you look for then is solid routine maintenance and anticipate up to $10k in extra lovin' to get it well sorted. The difference between my car now and a car with one owner amounts to nil, but it cost me $9k to get her that way. The next owner will be the ninth :D I'd love to believe I'm going to keep her more than a year or two, but I don't.

8. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    #8 Zinger, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Like Piper said the multi owners is not always a bad thing, it all depends on how the car was kept and a PPI is crucial with these cars. But I agree with you, a 1 or 2 owner is ideal. It sounds like you and I would like near the same type of scud, many seem to be scuderia red but I still prefer corsa like my f430 was...

I dont think there is a single 1 or even 2 owner scud for sale at all from my searches, which is kinda crazy.

9. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    Ryan did u see that white Scud is back at FOW, the same one we talked about... looks like the bumper section that was broken is fixed, but saw another crack develop elsewhere.

10. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #10 m2g2, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    I know the 458 is a great car, so please don't beat me up...but I just simply love driving the Scud. I bought mine last year and bought it rather well. The dealer has offered to buy it back, full price...but. like Charleton Heston said, "...from my cold dead hands!" For my tastes and likes I have not found anything I would rather drive. Just me, others are certainly entitled to their own opinions.

I am the second owner of my '09 Scud, which I bought when it was still under the original factory warranty. I think this was somewhat rare from what I have seen. The original owner did not buy the car as a spec/investment...he bought it because it was what he wanted to drive. He put 9K miles on it in 18 months and then moved on. Those of you who are familiar with my car, its long list of rare options and the original owner know that this car was cared for and maintained at a level which would make a person with O.C.D. appear to be uncaring by comparison. I couldn't resist.

I have watched Scud sales over the last 18 months and believe that they are selling faster now than they were a year ago. Asking prices seem to be steady with dealers being a little less likely to negotiate price as much now.

In general, Scuds do appear to have a few more owners than the average F-Car, but CarFax can also be wrong. Depending on how title is taken by dealerships in the various states, CarFax may reflect 4 owners, two actual owners and two dealer trades/transfers. They also make mistakes: A Z06 I bought new showed an accident two months before the factory build date (the selling dealer cleared it up with CarFax after much effort). My Porsche, which I bought with 200 miles on it, showed 4 owners, all of which were dealer trades. Look CarFax reports over carefully to be sure what they are really telling you.

Larry, good luck in you search. I hope you find the exact car you want.

11. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Yes, I saw FOW has the white scud back in inventory. The car is in average condition at best, and the F430 Daytona Seats with non matching stitching to the rest of the interior is a negative as well.

The black scud FOW has looks like a nice spec, not sure about history or condition on that one.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I guess I am one of the fortunate few to have been able to land a true 1-owner '09 Scuderia. I am the 2nd-owner of my Scuderia, and have kept a constant eye on Scuderia prices (even after buying mine 2 years ago, I know it's a very bad habit), particularly for 09s and from what I've seen, the prices haven't changed much at all from last year.

I do notice that for-sale-Scuderias are not sitting as long as they did last year...many have consistently sold in under 3 weeks and/or are never re-listed.

I bought mine w only 1,100 miles on it...I'm at 8,600 miles now, and it is still my favoritest car. I sold my MP4 in Taipei recently, and will be putting the funds towards a 458 Versione Speciale or a Mercedes SLS Black if 458 VS disappoints.

It's a great era for supercars we're in! There's an abundant sea of amazing options to choose from!

13. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Exactly...

BTW...are you going to post any new vids of you terrorizing the bay area in your Scud? Great viewing!

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Black and gold? If so, I believe they sold that car about a year ago. Saw it back in the service bay last week with a deep, deep scrape lower right front bumper.

15. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Sorry to hear that you sold it!

Me too! I got a PRISTINE one owner scud (me being the 2nd owner), '08 corsa red, US carbon, BATA from a texas oil tycoon. Currently 5900 miles on the clock. Took me 6 months to find it. I think there will always be some deals on some not so perfect cars around the $150-170k price point w/ stone chips, poor history, & relatively higher miles, but the well documented, pristine condition, low mileage cars have held their value over the last 2 years. F430GT pricing model still applies IMO given that the cars on the market now have more miles and wear and tear.

If you've had the chance to drive a scud, you know that it's the best bargain for a supercar out there. The experience is unmatchable for the money.

Take your time and don't settle.

16. m3doc

m3doc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2008
    I saw the one at FOW and it is a very nice car, but I wanted to have leather seats. I've been following the market for a while as well still looking for a black/black with yellow calipers. Looks like people who have the scuds are holding on to them because it seems like there are fewer of them available for sale.

For those in the same boat as me, good luck and I think the biggest thing I've learned is to be patient

17. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
  18. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    #18 datax, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    That's mine! Bought it May of last year. Hit the curb few months ago. Need to repaint the bumper at one point.

Owner replaced the seats for better comfort. :) He also added the aftermarket audio stuff. Btw, FoW appraised my Scud somewhere in the 150s :( I do have a lot of miles due to the fact that car is too damn addicting to drive! Drove 458 but the price difference and level of excitement it offers seems not worth it so ended up keeping the Scud. Put 10k miles last year.

19. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Seems like you are really enjoying your scud and driving it, thats fantastic! I am going to be patient and wait for the right car to pop up, I must admit though, since I sold my F430 coupe the spot where my Ferrari was in my garage is very lonely!!!!

20. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Folks driving these cars only that amount of miles in 4-5 years is almost criminal! I have put over 5k miles in just 7 months on my Scud and am only the second owner. If/when I sell it, it will likely have a grip of miles (heck at 23/24k it already does in most peoples eyes...but it's still the best machine I have ever driven). Wonder what an 08 with 50k miles on it will go for in a couple years???

21. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I was on the hunt for F430 for a few months and one day Jonathan at FoW asked me if I wanted to take the Scud out for a test drive. I didn't look at an F430 after that day. I couldn't get over the sound, drive, visceral shifts, etc etc etc. I wound up buying the 09 Nero Daytona from Jonathan at FoW and couldn't be happier with it and their service! Only issue I had so far was the battery tender that FoW replaced for free. It's the best car I've owned and I drive it every chance I get!

22. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Race ya to 50k miles!!! Winner get's a bottle of the world's best chocolate milk? :)

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Damn I wish I had room for it, garage or wallet. I'd make you an offer. I've loved black and gold all my life. Stood and stared at it quite a while last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is why I simply never drove a Scud or 458 while owning a 430. Ignorance is Bliss.
    As a matter of fact, I staved off trading for a 16M for about a year - now I look back and say I should have done this a long time ago. The right 16M came along, and I traded my 430 without even test driving it.
    The Scud/16M is eons ahead of a 430.

25. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    Car is pretty solid. I bought a power normal warranty but didn't get to use it last year. Very very exciting to drive. It is like Challenge Stradale on steroid and gearbox with 60ms shifts make the car even more special and exciting than CS and 458. I always wanted to own a Ferrari with bare minimal interior (just like F40s) and Scud is the closest thing within my budget so I bought it. Very happy with the purchase. Car is a BEAST with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and good alignment.