scud weight reduction and horse power increase | FerrariChat

scud weight reduction and horse power increase

Discussion in '360/430' started by southpaw802000, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southpaw802000

southpaw802000 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hi guys,

wondering if it is possible to make the scud a bit faster through weight reduction and adding power. I have had the car for 7 months and im already a bit use to the performance of the car and want to make it faster. I am looking for opinions on what the best route would be for persuing making making this car faster and what the recommendations would be for going down this road. If money is no option what is the best route to go? I don't want to supercharge the car. I have seen the power package from fabspeed and assuming I go that route and start the weight saving and am looking for advice for what the best route woud be. Realistically how mush weight can be pull from the car without actually making any insane mods. Please let me know what your recommendations would be. The fabspeed package is intriguing but I don't want to deal with CEL issues and that is concern of mine. Thanks in advance for any advise, looking for the best way to make the scud faster, If its really not possible to make the car quite a bit faster than I may just with for the new speciale, I am on the list for that car and know that will be faster. Just looking to see how much more can be done to make the ultimate scud. I enjoy a carzy loud exhaust and just insane power so looking at how far I can take it and what the costs may be.

2. Justin1970

Justin1970 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011
    doesn't underground racing do a twin turbo package?

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are you looking to track the car, or have more power for drag racing/straight line?

4. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    I believe the Capristo full system (headers, exhaust, etc) with the heat shields improve the acceleration/power quite a bit while also decreasing weight. F430GT was the expert on this but he seems to be in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Good luck!

5. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
  6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  7. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Yeah - if you really want it fast fast - then UGR for a good 45-60k can make it blisteringly quick.
    But it's already a pretty fast car :)

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Tool kit & useless puncture repair kit will save you a kew KG

9. southpaw802000

southpaw802000 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks a lot guys for the comments, I really appreciate it. Maybe I should just start saving my money and buy the new speciale. Im already on the list and at least on paper it looks like it has the power im looking for. Lots to think about, but I feel lucky that I have these types of problems, ferrari's are the BEST!!!!

10. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I think that changing the wheels and tires to a much lighter set up will be the most noticeable weigh saving measure that you can do. It will change the way the car acts under acceleration, deceleration and cornering. Any time you can save weight on an un-sprung rotational mass the effects are felt much more so than changing weight on a sprung mass (supported by the body of the car).

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Some obvious weight saving measures, whit my estimate of total weight saved (please correct me of wrong):

Lithium ion battery (-/- 10 kg)
    Full AM exhaust (-/- 15 kg)
    Wheels: BBS F1 (or RI-D; which is even lighter) (-/- 8 kg)
    Radio/Speaker delete (-/- 8 kg)

Total weight saved: +/- 40kg, maybe 50kg max.

You can save some more weight by buying the CF Scud parts (diffuser, sills, engine compartment, rear deck, boot lid) but weight savings will be limited and expensive.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    conventional wisdom: 8kg wheels = 16kg body

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

This has been my project for the last 18 months.
    Car started at 1360kg standard on empty fuel tanks and washer bottle. Used race scales for accurate measurements.
    It is now 1300kg and as a result of the full Capristo exhaust system has a claimed extra 40hp and 60nm of torque. My goal was to not diminish the comfort and usability of the standard car and keep it looking pretty standard.

It's a law of diminishing returns and exponential increase in dollars spent the further you go into it.

I have found the biggest gains and bang for your buck as follows:

Lithium race battery- - about $3k with charger. Weight 4.2 kg versus 21kg lump Ferrari used in the 2008 cars. Some later cars used an ultima red which weighed circa 15kg

Full Capristo exhaust from manifolds to titanium exhaust tips- weight saved 24kg

BBS FI wheels- look great and save 8kg. They are also wider and allow bigger tyre fitment. People forget that the larger tyres weigh more and your weight saving (depending on tyre choice) is largely negated. I went for Pirelli Corsa R tyres and overall weight loss was about 3.5 Kg from memory.

All the original optional carbon fibre equipment offered by Ferrari. You can spend huge dollars to get the rear engine cover, diffuser, side skirts and a few other odds and ends. Weight saving is about 12 kgs from memory.

Then I had some customer carbon fibre front and rear bars and a front boot lid made in carbon fibre. Not a lot of weight to be saved as the originals are very light anyway. By the time you make the custom stuff fit well and look pretty enough there isn't much weight saved.

I put weight back in by adding the 4 point seat belts with appropriate mounting brackets. Probably 5kg at most.

Last things I have done are have custom foot plates in carbon fibre made to replace the aluminium checker plate which I think looks ugly. Maybe save 1.5 kg, haven't weighed them yet.

Final weigh in soon should see it under 1300kg by a small amount.

You could save another 10-15kg by going to full race buckets and ditching the standard seats. That would compromise comfort and usability too much for my liking. Ditching the air conditioning and using 430 Challenge doors and windows would bring huge savings. Don't recommend this for safety reasons on a road car.

That's my experience so far.

14. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    any tested batteries other than the optima red top to use on a scuderia?

15. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Yes, a member has used one of the Braille Li-Ion batteries without any problems.

16. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    any thoughts about the porsche Li-ion batteries

17. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#17 360C, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    thanks for the replies. Appreciate your help

19. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    What is the part no for the optima red top battery

20. Jappo

Jappo Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I'm 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 182 pounds so I know what the cheapest option is :)

21. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    A diet....

22. Jappo

Jappo Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    On the nail :)