Would you replace your F430/Scuderia with new 991 GT3? | FerrariChat

Would you replace your F430/Scuderia with new 991 GT3?

Discussion in '360/430' started by datax, Aug 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    As a person who enjoy track-days, I'm thinking if replacing the Scuderia with the new GT3 would be a good move. Would you guys agree? Anyone here doing the switch? A brand new GT3 with every options that I would like to have price out around the same as my Scud with 17,000 miles. And, the thing seems a lot of fun!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbJIZ83bdo]2013 Porsche 911 GT3 tested by www.autocar.co.uk - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfi__aUgfgE]The Porsche 911 GT3 - Feast for the Senses - YouTube[/ame]

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Keep Scud, add Lotus....

I will be doing a side-by-side comparison of my 16M and my S260 at a track day in the next two weeks. Will let you know how it goes....

3. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Ken,

Just so you know, all the allocations for GT3 are covered for pretty much 2014 in MD and N. VA. I'm on the list for one at #3 I believe but am still contemplating.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If you're absolutely looking to sell your Scud then I would. It's probably the most comparable brand new car out there currently for a decent price too.

Otherwise, I'd keep the Scud.

5. datax

datax Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    VA (Washington DC)
    Full Name:
    Ken T
    I was actually thinking of adding air cooled 911 initially because I like something that I can drive it to the track without worrying about miles or anything. Always feel Lotus is a bit too small and not safe. They are awesome and exciting cars tho.

I agreed to take my buddy's spot in Porsche of Mainline because he's also not sure. At #3 spot, you should take the delivery, enjoy it for few months then sell it privately if you still love the Scud. I think that car is going to be nuts (& I'm not saying it because I had previous generations of GT3/RS).

6. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
  7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  8. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I think you're more worried about miles and repairs than it being more "fun"... can't be that much more fun than a FERRARI Scud...

9. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #9 m2g2, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    If you were talking "track car" only, I might be intrigued by the thought. But considering all the reasons and purposes for which I bought my Scud, I don't think it's even close...no swap out!

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd definitely NOT sell it. I'd only add, and that would be a GT3 in manual. Im suprised about the many good reviews this new one has recieved despite its abandonment of the shifter.

That said, if you dont love the Scud, then its time to move on.

12. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Keep both

13. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Only if and when, the new GT3 can be ordered with racing seats and paint to sample.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Only way I'd do GT3 is if it were manual. Don't give a rats about a PDK Porsche.

15. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    New 991 GT3 will be an amazing car, BUT, I think you would miss your scud, hard to beat the scud driving experience!

We all are human and we get bored, you make the decision. Perhaps a GT3 would be a nice change up though..

16. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    I am looking into the new GT3 too. But I dont know ur financial means. In my case no way no way I am parting with my Scud. I will add the GT3 and most likely when i see the 458 speciale I might consider it too.

I cant see the GT3 anywhere close to providing a driving experience similar to a Scud.

The Scud will always be here.

17. Iceman23

Iceman23 Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Ruben Salama
    After having Porsche TT although not GT3, and recently buying a scud about 4 months ago, he'll no!!!

18. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    As a former owner of 997.2 gt3 and scud. I think scud fun won't be matched by new 991 gt3 even though it sounds almost Italian and great performance.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Obviously, how the car looks is not a consideration. ;)

20. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    I had lots of problems w my gt3s at the track and you have to keep it quiet w porsche. Can you spell oil leaks? Maybe this new one will be better but let others report.

Also the centerlocks are a drag needing special tools which you better carry if youre hundreds of miles from a dealer w a flat tyre, which i am frequently in WY, UT and NV.

21. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
  22. m2g2

m2g2 Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 10, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I owned a 997 TT Porsche and have driven a number of 997 series GT3's. They were all wonderful cars, but for me, all of these P-cars came up short in the vetting process or were subsequently traded in on Ferraris.

It had been 35 years since my last Ferrari and early in 2012 I was the proud owner of three P-cars. I found them reliable and fun...until June, when I made the mistake of listening to a 360 C/S's melodic symphony. By October, '13, all of the P-cars were gone and two Ferraris were in their places.

Just last night I was up in the local mountains carving a few canyons in my Scud and while doing so, I thought again about this thread. I now feel compelled to change my response in posting #9 from "I don't think it's even close...no swap out!" to "hell no, not from my cold dead hands." The mere act of driving my Scud casts a magic spell on me that I can't explain or resist. The 458's I've driven, while being amazing cars in all aspects, don't imbue me with that same magic and Porsches don't even come close.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Never. Ferrari is Ferrari. Porsche is not.

24. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    +1
    Get both if you can. Otherwise Scud all the way!!!

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    No Freakin' Way