Sources for CS TCU? | FerrariChat

Sources for CS TCU?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dantm, Aug 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Any suggestions for sources where to find a Challenge Stradale TCU for a regular 360? Without getting ripped off?

Thank you

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    eric355 can provide one. PM him.

3. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    OEM item, or reprogrammed?

4. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Ricambi, but it is a little pricey. T Rutlands maybe. Eurospares seems reasonable.

5. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm getting one from Eric (it's on its way). It's from a Maserati re-flashed. I'm going to get the dealer to install if so they can transfer the clutch mileage and set up the PIS. Should I tell them what number to set it at or will they know?
    Thanks
    Alan

6. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    eric355 can supply TCU's reprogrammed with 196986 firmware. If you want a brand new 196986 then Eurospares are usually competitive for them.

7. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The PIS will be set by the dealership. The last time I had mine set, the dealer increased the setting (due to bucking at take off) then he test drove it, increased it again, test drove it, increased it again and test drove it. It ended up at "5" and he did not want to go any higher.

I am planning on switching out my TCU this weekend to a CS TCU and having it reprogramed. I will report back on how it goes.

8. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Does it actually make a difference between OEM and reflashed? What are pros and cons?

9. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    They will work the same. Same hardware. Once reflashed, same firmware. Sticker on the front of the unit will be different (e.g. F430 TCU), rather than Stradale TCU.

10. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Ok so it looks to me that the Maserati TCU + reprogram will be the more cost effective option with no drawbacks...

Any suggestions on what models/years are compatible with the 360 CS reflash? I thought that the 4200 model TCUs would be similar as the cars were built in the same years?

Can anybody suggest the Maserati P/N I want to look for?

Thank you.

11. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Better resale for OEM, reflashed I was quoted was the same $$ as Eurospares oem....

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you put in one of Eric's reflashed TCUs, you can drive it to the dealer and have them reset anything you want reset. Since the reflash comes from a good running CS, the PIS is already set to a usable value. Many owners have not had anything reset after installation.

Reflashed by Eric is way cheaper than anybody's new TCU.

Many Ferrari and Maserati TCUs use the same hardware. A Maserati 4200 TCU I recently had has identical hardware to the 575M HGTC TCU that will eventually go into my 575M.

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it possible for me to get a copy of the BIN file consisting of the 196986 firmware?

14. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Absolutely that's what I plan to do. If he sets the PIS to 4.5 which seems to be a default agreed value it's probably not far from my 4.6 current...

I already sent him a PM, let's see...

15. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Below is the master thread for the discussion. In there the hardware versions are discussed. CFC231F is one compatible hardware version (used in some F430 TCUs). CFC201F.05 and CFC201F.50 are a couple of others Eric said he has had success with.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/313830-challenge-stradale-tcu-upgrade-4.html

Eric may already have some TCUs flashed though.

I recommend to anyone fitting a CS TCU to get the PIS set at a garage with an SD2/3. It will optimise the shift performance. I iterated several values and evaluated them on test drives before selecting the final one and I could certainly tell the difference in speed and smoothness. 4.2mm is the factory recommended minimum for the CS and it is what my car is set to (I even tried down to 4.0mm and while the shifts were faster it was less smooth and there was some clutch drag). It's worth taking this final step.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CFC231F is used in the 575M, too.

Like I said, the advantage of Eric's reflashed TCU is that you can do the swap yourself and drive it to the dealer for optimization. You will lose your history doing that, though, so if that is important to you, let the dealer do the swap and transfer the history.

17. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    I can vouch for Eric, unit worked fine. PIS is set at 3.9 something on his unit which didn't work well on my car, too much kick still and not the smooth transition you expect from a CS TCU but still very very drivable , my tech had to up PIS to 4.7 made all round driving better, but boy even at 3.9 what a difference in changing gears, and I had the latest non CS version of the SW and Hardware before upgrading

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have a brand new Ferrari branded Stradale TCU in stock. It was a customer return. I will sell it today, and today only for $950 + shipping.

Call me directly at Ricambi America - 336-499-2500 x101

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This item has now been sold. Thank you.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Did not think that would take very long. Great price.

21. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Wow, someone scored a smoking deal on that one.

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but would re flashing the TCU in my maser gransport with the CS firmware make the crappy shifting in the maser be CS like?

Doable? How?

23. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    They sure did.
    Alan

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I'm looking for one as well. Anybody know of any available or reflash unit.

R

25. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I believe that ncjetskier has a brand new Ferrari CS one that he took back off because of bucking that the tech couldn't eliminate. You may want to PM him.
    Alan