F1 behavior on a 360 | FerrariChat

F1 behavior on a 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by tsasu360, Sep 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Hi, I've had a 360 for about 6 months, driving it today and it dropped to Neutral.

Pulled car to the side of the road and shut it off, tried to start it back up, starts ok but will not go into any gear.

Now, here's the strange behavior:

-- there's a check engine light as well as a F1 transmission light (solid F1 light)

-- pulling on the down paddle or trying to go into R produces a slight 'clunk' somewhere in the back, maybe the F1 actuator?

-- pulling on the up paddle does nothing

-- pulling on both paddles kills the engine

The car starts and idles fine, is in N with the F1 solid light and the check engine light on (previously both were off). It moves back and forth ok pushed so it is truly in N.

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ahh the F1. I'm so happy I have a 3 pedal.

It's probably clutch wear. The system does that to preserve the clutch and prevent overheating as I understand it...
    Bad news is you need an SD2 to tell you what the computer thinks is going on. If up in the air you can open the access panel beneath the clutch and take a manual measurement of clutch thickness.

4. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Clutch wear is 20% worn, so 80% remaining. PIS is 4.5.

The transmission fault light went away overnight with the car sitting (and no reset of battery, etc.)

Strange?

PS yes I should have gotten a 3 pedal car ;_)

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Could have possibly been the clutch position sensor. Even with good clutch life if it erroneously tells the computer the clutch is too low, you get no engagement of clutch. ONly way to tell is with a computer hookup.

6. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Anybody renting out a scanner tool? :) Willing to pay...

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Maybe you'd get a suggested garage to contact if there was the slightest clue as to where on Planet Earth you live !

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Agree with above. Tell us where you're from. I'd love to presume N/A means North America.. but even then its kinda vague.

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Nobody will rent you such a valuable machine. You need to take it to someone who knows how to fix it.

10. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Sorry I should have been more specific -- Providence RI. Understood on the rental -- just thought I'd throw it out there.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ferrari New England is right up the way... about a half hour away.. that's always an option.

For an independent.. perhaps ask around on the New England board. They'll be able to hook you up with a reputable shop.. Sorry can't personally recommend anyone

12. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    I know the FNE guys, problem is I've never gotten out of there without a $5K or more bill for misc things. Nothing bad, they are experts at what they do but also probably one of the most expensive dealers in the country.

Is it not strange that the F1 fault would go away on its own? Where is the fault stored in the TCU?

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not sure if it's written on the TCU memory or if the Bus transmits it to the main ECU memory.. just not sure.

Fault going away on its own... wouldn't be the first time. Suggests its intermittent abberration versus true fault. Can't be sure though. :( Get an indy.. maybe stop by and get a read and then say "NO!" -or- "I'll think about it" when they want ot do work..?

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David is very, very good and has an SD2. ~100 miles from you.

David Feinberg
    Ferrari Service of Bedford
    19 Tolford Hill Road
    Bedford, NH USA 03110
    (603) 493-1696
    Ferrari Service of Bedford

15. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Agree with Taz, get in contact with Dave. He has an excellent reputation..

16. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Thanks guys -- I'll look into it.

Separately, does anybody know whether Ferrari uses standard CAN to communicate with the different components on the car? If that is the case I assume the CAN database can be obtained and with enough reverse engineering knowledge somebody can write up their own debug tools? Thoughts?

17. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    It's been tried by several people and companies, and it's a huge, expensive undertaking owing both to the way the CAN is configured and the way you diagnose these cars. It's not plug and play, getting the error codes is just a fraction of the story. There are pages and pages of parameters used by us during diagnosis and unless you know what you are looking at you will do more harm than good.

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
  19. tsasu360

tsasu360 Karting

Sep 2, 2013
    Full Name:
    Tomas M.
    Thanks -- I am very familiar with this protocol and know experts that write diagnosis programs routinely. I was just wondering if Ferrari uses the same protocol or if they use something else (or encrypt messages, etc.)

I'm sure it's no easy feat to write even a limited debugger.

20. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Durametrics were trying and I believe they gave up. The market is too small IMO to make it a viable proposition.

21. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    My problem is similar to some extent...leading down the path of the gearbox sensors as the next step to look at. Will post updates here and in my thread as I get some resolve.

PM-ed you on local dealer and independent options and my experience.