S-Line Motorsports XXX-Pipe Group Buy Info | FerrariChat

S-Line Motorsports XXX-Pipe Group Buy Info

Discussion in '360/430' started by dbonvillain, Nov 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbonvillain

dbonvillain Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    The group buy for the X pipe is on for the next few weeks. Site is up with the edited cart - S-Line Motorsports Scuderia XXX-Pipe and you can use the code HolidayGroupBuy_XXXPipe for the discount. They are doing a flat $50 shipping in the continental US and can quote international shipping as necessary. All the systems will be done and out the door by the 15th of December and both deposit or pay-in-full options are provided on the page.

I will get Dave to update me with a list of who has locked in their system and keep it updated here. Happy to drive down and take pictures or whatever anyone wants as well.

Hopefully we will have dyno results from someone else here shortly as well, but my car is going on next Wednesday and we are running a baseline with a stock system as well, so outside of being a mile up in altitude, it should give an idea of gains either way.

Hit me up if y'all have any questions or issues. (Feel free to hit Dave and S-Line directly as well)

For reference - the Autofluence article with Alwins car - The Perfect Ferrari F1 Sound | Autofluence

and what it sounds like wailing at wide open throttle Scuderia S Line Motorsports F1 Exhaust Fly-By - YouTube

2. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    1. Are their any resonators, mufflers, or valves or just straight thru pipes?

2. From 8 feet away, directly behind the car, what are the dB's?
    a. At idle
    b. At 4400 RPM

3. Are the OEM exhaust tip shrouds still used or does this exhaust protrude thru the rear body panel where you directly see the tips?

4. Any CEL's

5. Do you have engine bay temperature comparisons for OEM vs this exhaust at the key points where the CF discoloration occurs? (Above headers along the frame rail, rear sides next to the OEM muffler pipes, coolant reservoir)

6. Will you have comparison dyno graphs available for review prior to the termination of the group buy discount?

3. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    1. Not really - although that center X chamber acts as some kinda resonator, just not in a traditional muffler sense.

2. Dunno. We haven't run a dB meter.

3. OEM (or whatever aftermarket you may have like Alwin) tips are still used.

4. No CEL...it's just a cat-back, so I can't imagine any of the systems with catalytic converters in place throw CELs do they?

5. Not sure any of us have run the stock temps vs. this, but everyone that has them on (including myself) says that it's not as hot back there. Also the system sits much lower - as in away from the CF - than the stock unit.

6. I certainly hope to :) Provided all the moons align, mine will be on the dyno in a week.

4. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    PM sent.

5. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    How long will the group buy discount be honored?
    How many members actually have this unit installed and what do the rest think about this unit so far?
    Is there any problem with fitting with the regular or polished stainless vs. the ceramic coated since Edward was having some problem with fitting of his ceramic coated unit?

6. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    Honored till the first part of December. Any later than that and they probably can't get them shipped in time for everyone.

I think 4 or 5 folks have them in addition to me. They can chime in.

My experience with fitting (given, I have a prototype on currently and it's ceramic coated currently, was originally raw stainless) was that we can get it on and off in < 10 minutes. But definitely would like to hear from others experiences...I think most folks have it in polished form.

7. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Thanks. Would like to here from the other folks who already have this unit installed.

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    dbonvillain and I were the first two to install this setup.

It is without a doubt the best upgrade I have ever made to my Scuderia. As highlighted in previous threads, I had several criteria in my personal pursuit for the perfect system:

&#8226; Reduce the engine bay temps to prolong the longevity of my carbon panels. We all know the oem exhaust is a heat soaker of a unit. I had the Kreissiegg system in the car prior and that one generated even more heat than oem! Suffice to say it wasn't on the car for long

&#8226; Reduced weight. This thing only weighs 14lbs! Compare that to the oem unit of 49lbs!

&#8226; F1-inspired pitch. I wanted that clean, crisp shrill that only F1 cars can produce and this delivers! Other unanticipated but notable positive side effects: actually quieter in the cabin than stock especially on wot, and no droning or gurgling like the oem unit. I was looking for the perfect note, not just sheer volume!

&#8226; Reduce low rpm throttle hesitation. Yep, that's gone...from a standstill the car no longer hesitates when you apply the throttle

As for hp gains, it wasn't a priority for me. You can only park the car that much faster with the small gains off a catback system =) If you want to transform your Scuderia into an F1 madhouse, this is the setup for you. Once you've installed it and done a few runs, I guarantee that you will be left scratching your heads for living with the terrible sounding oem setup for so long.

Hope that helps.

9. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Thanks for this detailed info. Any comparison between this unit vs. the other aftermarket units (i.e., fabspeed, Tubi, etc...) in terms of weight, sound, engine bay temp, price, etc.?

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I have only heard Capristo, Fabspeed and Kreissieg in person. The specific construction specs etc are readily available on their respective websites.

As far as sound goes, Kreissieg has the highest pitch and crispest note, Capristo a close second. Fabspeed's sound is deeper and gurgly...I did not like that one at all.

It's worth noting too that Fabspeed's is the only one with an x-pipe layout, both Kreissieg and Capristo are valved systems w mufflers etc. so the weight is considerably heavier than an x-pipe, unless you get the full titanium Kreissieg setup which I had before. Prepare to pay 5-figures for that setup...I got mine at wholesale which was still 5 figures.

11. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Thanks!

12. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is $4500 the discounted price? Also, although the tone is higher, is it significantly louder than stock?

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Yes, it's unequivocally louder as well.

14. fracman5

fracman5 Karting

Nov 8, 2009
    The most important question: Do you still get flames from the exhaust at top rpm and overrun??

15. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    The price is 3800-4k with the discount - depending on finish options.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'll have to agree with most of freshmeat's comments.

The sound is incredible at WOT. and yes pretty quiet in cabin when driving conservatively. I almost wish it were a bit louder.

I did ask my installer if heat shielding is necessary, but he said no.
    Let's be honest, 10 or even 20 HP gain on a 500+ HP car will barellyyy be felt. To me it's negligible.

HKEboy may be able to add more comments....he has the exhaust as well.

17. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    HRF Scuderia did before and after dyno pulls with his new system. I believe he is posting the results tomorrow. I saw the HP plot...it was, let's say, unexpected :) But Plastique is right - I think I feel the throttle response more than the HP gains...the car is pretty darn fast

18. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    $4500 or even $3800 for that amount of piping seems really high... Where is this exhaust manufactured from? If from Taiwan or China, you can probably buy direct for a third of the price....

19. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hmmm...the fact that the system is more quiet frightens me a little. I prefer to have a louder exhaust all around the rev range if I go aftermarket. The part that frightens me is that I would be spending the $ to only want to get rid of it and find something else that will be loud enough for my tastes. Exhaust trial and errors can get expensive.

So when everyone says it's "quiet", especially in the cabin, is it only under a certain RPM range? I guess I get it if it's below 3K or 2500 RPM. But once it hits 3K RPM I'd want to already have heard an improvement (read "loud") over the OEM setup.

I don't always hit WOT so if loudness (compared to OEM) only comes in during the higher RPM range (6K+) then I'd have to give it some more thought. I was just hoping for a system that would be loud (without drone) even from start up.

Those currently with the system please chime in.

On another note, how many have already taken a spot on the group buy? How many spots are left (was there a cap)?

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #20 sherpa23, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    This is actually a joint project between S Line Motorsports (Dave Jones) and Two Create Fabrication (Teague Oliver)- TWO CREATE FAB. On every Ferrari that I own and have owned, I have needed something specially made or adapted for each car and each time, I have gone to Dave and Teague and they have consistently blown away my expectations. The workmanship is world class, and I don't say that lightly. The quality of the welding, fit, and finish is better than anything else I have seen on the market in these applications.

Also, I have had to do some unique things and each time, I went to Two Create. On my F40, Teague took my Michelotto LM exhaust and welded in custom O2 sensor bungs for it to work properly on a street car. I also disassembled the wastegate and gave him the parts that I needed machining to dial it in as required. Think about how much trust I have to have in someone's skills to hand over parts like this. He has really earned it. Everything he did was so high quality, I can't really do it justice on here with some words. I also had him do the suspension on my 308 GTB, and other things as well.

Long story short - if I had a 430 or Scud, I would be all over this group buy as it would be for quality unequaled anywhere and would be an excellent value.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Let me clarify, I think the sound is proportional to RPM. Below 3000 RPM, the S line is quite civil. Above 5000 RPM it does start to scream. Also, I am in a 16M and my stock exhaust was unplugged - it really was too loud at low RPM - perhaps annoying due to drone.
    S line has little to no drone.
    Other point is that my experience thus far has been "in cabin" driving. I really need to video someone driving my car to hear it from the outside - any volunteers?
    I will try to do some fly bys this weekend, as seen in Top Gun.

22. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    #22 dbonvillain, Nov 14, 2013
    Easy888 - My reference on 'quiet' is based on the stock system with the valves plugged so the pipes stay open all the time. In my car, you almost couldn't carry on a conversation at 5k RPMs in that configuration without yelling. With the S-Line - that is not the case...so 'quieter' may be relative cause it's a loud ass exhaust - like it sets off car alarms in the parking garage kinda loud. But perhaps more 'refined' is better terminology?

safe to say - this system is not quiet. Just not obnoxious in the cabin (like the stock one with the system open)

23. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    hmmm...well like Sherpa said- they are hand-made systems down the street from me. When I said I could go take pics for folks, I wasn't flying to a factory in China.
    And the statement overall seems a little outlandish - I haven't seen too many Chinese exhaust systems for my Scuderia for a grand floating around as I searched for one for my car. Does such a thing even exist?

24. dbonvillain

Dec 2, 2012
    Boulder
    #24 dbonvillain, Nov 14, 2013
    HAH - there is a Decibel meter app on the iPhone :) Anyone know which one is any good? and if you guys really want me to run it before the car goes down to my buddy's place in SanDiego for a couple months - I'll do it this morning.
    I wish I had a stock one so I could check the dB on the stock system with the valves open at 5k RPM in the cabin so y'all could hear what I mean.

(okay bought one that was rated as the highest by a 3rd party for accuracy...I'll grab some dB readings just for giggles (in an hour or so anyway, it's too early for the neighbors to fire that thing up)

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #25 freshmeat, Nov 14, 2013
    Please re-read all the feedback from folks who have this setup:
    It's quieter from inside the cabin because there is no more droning. If oem sounded like a jet from outside then this sounds like 3 jets with a higher pitch to boot.

And for those of you who are being complacent about cost, find me another setup w the same weight savings and F1 pitch and I will pay you triple the price of that one. I have looked and waited for over 2 years, even had the world's most expensive Scuderia catback system (made by Kreissieg) at one point and there's nothing else that sounds like it period.

You want cheap and gurgly go get fabspeed. Made in Taiwan.