Purchased my first Ferrari - 430 Spider Manual | FerrariChat

Purchased my first Ferrari - 430 Spider Manual

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dave430, Jan 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi guys,

I've been a long time lurker and finally pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on my first Ferrari. I grew up with Ferrari's in the family with my Father having a 348, several 360's and a 360CS.

After having an Aston Martin V8 Vantage earlier this year followed by a Jaguar F-Type V8S, I finally decided to go for it and purchase a yellow 430 Spider.

I bought the car from a main dealer here in Orlando and as I'll mention shortly, they've been absolutely exceptional to deal with, better than I could have ever imagined.

Car is a 2006 Spider 6MT Yellow/Cuoio with a $260k sticker!
    Carbon brakes,
    Carbon driving zone upper and lower,
    Carbon engine bay,
    Carbon sports seats,
    19600 miles (now over 20k)

I was actually after a 360 but my wife suggested we should stop at the local Ferrari dealer on the way to the mall (how often does that happen?). Turns out the dealer had just taken this car in and it has a great record of service from independents and the local dealer. It had just had a service done and had 4 new Michelin PSS' fitted a few months back as well.

Now, the car had an issue picked up on the 62 point inspection regarding the 6th to 5th syncrho. The local dealer agreed to take care of everything on the inspection FoC and stripped the box down a couple of weeks after I took delivery of the car. To their and my surprise, turns out it was beyond repair and the car needed a whole new gearbox!

I'm awestruck as the dealer offered without hesitation to cover the new gearbox in addition to the other items. I'm hugely grateful to the dealer for this as a bill of that size would have been crushing to me. The other bits are rather minor but in all they replaced the gearbox, engine mounts, exhaust brackets and exhaust headers. Their only request is that I pay for a new clutch as it was weeping oil and they didn't want to place a new gearbox into a car with a potentially bad clutch.

I plan to drive the car quite a lot, probably in the region of 5-10k a year as I truly believe if I'm going to spend this much money, I may as well enjoy it while I can. I figured if I bought a car with reasonable mileage on it already, it's not going to hurt me so badly when I bang on another 15-20k miles!

I look forward to being part of this community and I welcome any thoughts/opinions you may have.

Again, a huge thank you to Ferrari of Orlando for taking such great care of me, you have a customer for life now.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/404/g7zz.jpg
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/547/voga.jpg
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/703/qgpd.jpg
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/716/g48s.jpg
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/534/i32t.jpg
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/23/ccbr.jpg

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Awesome, Giallo!!! Love the color and congrats on such a nice ride!!

3. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Wow. Thats a keeper. Congrats!

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's fab, what a colour.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    That is beautiful. Giallo on most cars would be a bit daring in my view but on a Ferrari it is really striking. Love it! Good luck and drive it in good health.

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats.was this the one a member was selling not long ago.best color yellow and racing seats.

8. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Love the seats...

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic! Congratulations! I love the racing seats! So much nicer than the electric seats that were forced on us in subsequent years.

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Congratulations! I was not sure about the yellow with Cuoio, but it works well and looks fabulous.

I bet you can't wait for the harsh winter to be over so you can drive her? Oh wait; you are in Orlando, where it is perpetual driving season!

You should make it out to the Celebration Car show, its the best one in FL IMO. Should be in April, looks like the set has not been updated for 2014 yet.

Welcome | Celebration Exotic Car Festival 2013

12. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone.

Trent, I'm there every year actually, Tampa Auto Club brings a good selection of cars along. We attend most of the Festivals of Speed events too.

I'd love to drive it but it's stuck in the shop waiting for headers. Ironically it takes longer for headers than for a brand new gearbox!

13. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I waited 3 months or so (can't remember exactly) for my MK2s. The factory was damaged in the earthquake in Italy, or maybe it was just their vacation season. Got to love the EU where they basically shut down for vacations.

Maybe just go straight to Fabspeed (or capristo). Sounds better, no pre-cats, less chance of catastrophic failure, and noticeably more HP and TQ even with stock ECU.

14. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I read your story before I bought my car. That's a long wait!

They're saying it won't be that long thankfully so I'll just leave it with them. At least it's not hot outside currently so I won't suffer your fate. That said, I've done most of the sticky switches myself using your guide :) only have the passenger door to do.

15. Aorta

Aorta Karting

Nov 17, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jared
    Love the interior!!! Nice ride!! Congrats!!

16. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I love that car! Great interior, 6MT, and racing carbon fiber seats! The holy trinity:)

17. Bailes16M

Bailes16M Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bailey Smith
    I believe I used to know this car when it lived up here in Jacksonville, you chose a beautiful car. Congrats!

18. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is indeed from Jacksonville. Hopefully no stories I should know about!

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think same car that i saw on ferrari classifieds

20. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Congrats!! always nice to hear the excitement from a new fellow 430 owner - and the right color too!!

I still go out to the garage just to look at her every day after 10 months...

21. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    Dave,

What a nice car. Good luck and enjoy it!

22. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    That's a beauty. Drive it in good health.

23. Hilgram

Hilgram Karting

May 31, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I'm in the same boat as Bailes16M. I knew the owner of this car while it was in Jacksonville. Apparently he went through some records and found that, with options, this is a one off 430 spider. It's the only one in Giallo Modena with dark tan leather interior in Manual.

Enjoy the car! I'm sure it's an absolute beast to drive

24. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 Labman, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    She's a beaut! Welcome and enjoy your new F car. Good luck!

Glad you are a subscribed newbie member. You will find the information on this forum invaluable and the willingness of the members to offer helpful advice is unparallelled.

25. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #25 Dave430, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm eager to get her back. All I see in my garage is an empty floor right now!

I feel very lucky to own such a beautiful car.

I was certainly surprised at how well optioned the car was. Interesting that it's the only one in this combo. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the brand new gearbox soon.

I figured I should subscribe as it has already been an invaluable resource to me. I've used Trent's guide to "desticky" all my switches as well as fix the trunk popping up and the side mirrors. Hopefully I won't have need for any more of the fixes for quite a while, though it could have been significantly worse had my local dealer not stepped up to the plate.

I have a couple more pics from a couple of weeks ago too. My Father actually bought a red Ferrari 430 Spider a few weeks before me so we took them to a local cars and coffee.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login