CAPRISTO BRACKETS - ON | FerrariChat

CAPRISTO BRACKETS - ON

Discussion in '360/430' started by Steelton Keith, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Just picked up the 430 with the Capristo exhaust brackets replacing the cracked factory brackets. This problem has been cited previously here. I thought it a timely reminder to check your brackets for cracking and breaks. Happy Motoring...Keith

2. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Could you please link to a thread with instructions and photos for where to look and how to tell if the brackets are good or bad?

If there isn't one, maybe do us all a big favor and add some instructions and photos here?

Thanks!

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    This is good advice. Both sides of mine have been replaced twice. Once with warranty, the other without.

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #4 Trent, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did not do a DIY because it was easy and the directions were good.

The one grey spot in the directions was the Nut and Washer that holds the bracket to the frame. The washers go between the bracket and the frame to space the brackets out a few millimeters, then the teflon locking not goes on top. This is a little counterintuitive, because usually the washer and nut are together.

There is a space between the black bracket and the frame.

Image = 1000 words.

Nuts = Blue

Gap = RED

*One more note; the threads and nuts that go through the springs are a USE ONCE item. The threads deform as they are tightened to lock the nut. They can't use teflon locks on that pert likely because of the temps. So tighten slowly, if you have to remove the nut, you will need 4x new nuts and bolts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    I ordered and got mine too late to install them in my car before winter storage. Will have them placed in the spring.

My factory brackets had also broken (again) after they had already been replaced once under a service campaign. Saw no point in giving Ferrari a third time to get it right.

6. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    #6 mountainman3520, Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks for posting a photo. Unfortunately I don't know what the bracket looks like or where it attaches so its tough to understand whats going on in the photo.

I took photos of the same area on my F430, left and right sides. I believe I have the stock brackets. And it was just purchased as a CPO from the Ferrari dealer so they should have checked to make sure they were not broken.

The construction in my photo does look different. How is the Capristo bracket different and better?

Does anyone have one of the brackets uninstalled that they could post a photo of?

7. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    It is not the Ferrari brackets that break! The factory brackets don't allow the thermal expansion of the exhaust to fully take place, this leads to thermal stress in the system and the headers themselves become damaged. This can manifest itself as simply a poorly seated header with increase in noise (particularly at start up when everything is cold) right through to the breakup of pre-cats and these being sucked back into the engine with catastrophic results!

8. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #8 Russell996, Jan 26, 2014
    Photo shows how much room to move the Capristo sprung mount system gives to help eliminate stress from the thermal expansion of the exhaust system.

The photo is a Capristo on a 16M but the idea is the same, except in this case it goes one better by mounting the bracket to the gearbox rather than the body, so the whole exhaust / engine assembly is free to move independent of the body.

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Is it advisable to put the Capristo brackets on a 99 360 or is it just the 430?
    Thanks
    Alan

10. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
  11. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Who told you that the Ferrari brackets don't break? Mine broke twice.

Granted, it's better that the brackets give way than the manifold break but either is a possibility.

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I wasn't aware the brackets themselves are also prone to breaking, well another reason to fit the Capristo version. ;)

13. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    #13 mountainman3520, Jan 26, 2014
    I did a bit of research to better understand.

Here is a link to the product on the Capristo website. This is for a regular 430 (not scud or challenge) with the regular muffler, ie not an after market exhaust modification.

Ferrari 430 Bracket Kit for OEM muffler

Unfortunately Capristo does not have the installation instructions available for download. Does anyone have them that could post them?

I'm thinking about ordering the parts but need to evaluate if I can realistically install myself. If not, and I need to find a qualified installer, then it might be better to not have already bought the parts as they may not want to install customer provided parts.

14. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #14 Trent, Jan 26, 2014
    Learn how to master the Ricambi site. It will pay dividends because it has the exploded views of nearly every inch of your vehicle.

Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini Parts - Ricambi America, Inc.

Then also download the workshop manual from: All Ferraris

You can DIY this project. Not much chance of really screwing something up.

DIY level: 3 out of 10. You need decent tools and some auto experience. I recommend air tools for the nut spring bolt systems. (air ratchet), or thick forearms.

1. The old exhaust brackets bolt to the transmission and are discarded. (In attached image; Blue, Yellow and Green)

2. The new brackets bolt to the frame in the rear as in my previous image. The support techniques are different from OEM to Capristo. Its not just a bracket that looks just like the OEM with some springs. It was reengineered.

3. The OEM Nuts (#40 in image) will need some TLC and liquid wrench, WD40, or other help because they have been heat cycled 1000 times and will not be likely to move.

4. The install is very easy using just a metric socket set. But here are the stickers
    .a. Nuts #40 frozen (as mentioned)
    .b. After the capristo brackets are installed you MUST realign your exhaust tips, unless you get lucky. If you put spacers in to prevent them from moving, maybe some hard foam, you might be lucky.
    .c. If you have to back out the spring loaded nut-bolt pair because of .b. you will need new nuts and bolts because they are the destructive type (or were when I installed mine), where the threads lock by destroying themselves.

15. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    Where is the best (deal) place to pick up these Capristo brackets? Thanks

16. Brannon

Brannon Rookie

May 28, 2009
    University Park
    Full Name:
    Brannon
    Do anybody know if these really work? I understand the concept, but have there been any failures with an all stock system and these magical brackets. My mechanics all three don't seem to have much faith in them. I'm replacing my headers with gen 2 on my 430 and I'd like to minimize this costly recurrence.

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I had a date once send me home with blue nuts..

18. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    $550usd is the lowest I've seen. I doubt I can post the link, so use google and you'll find it soon enough.

19. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    I just installed these on my new to me 430 spider took about 2 hours, I confirmed with the factory that the "washers" are not washers but spacers to be installed behind the bracket.

Pretty easy install, worst thing is getting the exhaust bolts free

20. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Could someone please post or link to photos of installed Capristo brackets on a base 430 from a few different angles? This thread starts with a photo of installed brackets but from an angle where the attachment to the silencer cannot be seen. Thanks.

Does everyone prop something under the cats when installing the brackets to keep them from dropping?

21. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Great, could you please post photos from multiple angles so we can see exactly how it went together? Also, please summarize your install steps.

Thanks!

22. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes. Pictures and write up please. Want to tackle it myself.
    Thanks in advance.

23. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I see them no cheaper then $655. Did they go up in price? Some posted in the past that the part should cost $550

24. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    check ferrari life there is a step by step Diy that I used. only thing to change to the list is make sure the spacers are under the bracket. the write up there is really good. Google is your friend!

25. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I was pretty disturbed that when I asked Capristo for a pdf copy of the installation instructions they said something very similar. They recommended I read that same Ferrari Life thread! Apparently there are no installation instructions for their $700 bracket that should cost $100?

Disturbing.

I expect clear instructions including sequential steps, plenty of diagrams/photos, explicit torque values for all fasteners, and methods to verify correct installation. Please get on it, Capristo!