Limp mode no throttle? | FerrariChat

Limp mode no throttle?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jagbuff, Feb 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Track event today with the CS and after a couple of lap the car decided to pack up. I was shifting at 7k rpm in 4th and all of a sudden, transmission light and ASR comes on, transmission goes to neutral, engine is sputtering at idle, no throttle response. RPM needle shows 7K rpm despite idle. Turn ignition off, try to restart - ASR strike through and red transmission light - car sputters but will not start. Wait for end of run group and tow back to pits, disconnect battery and let cool down. Car starts and idles fine, but ASR strike through and red transmission light still present. Car shifts to 1st and reverse and will creep forward and back but no throttle response and revs counter show "0". Pulled the generic codes and P0600 (can bus communication error)

No fluid loss, temps all ok, engine sounds fine. I assume there is an error with the transmission and the ECU/TCU has gone to crawl/limp mode. Anyone experienced something similar? I wish I had an SD2...

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sorry for your troubles. Comms error on Can bus could take a while to track down I imagine. Guess it could be anywhere. Any possibility of physical damage to be found? Perhaps a stone got flung up somewhere? Maybe a sensor or wire got taken out somewhere?

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #3 Jagbuff, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    For the benefit of owners that may encounter a similar problem in the future.
    It turns out that the CAN bus issue was related to one of the engine ECU dying, which explain rough idle (4 cylinder). The problem was diagnosed and replacement part was $3300. Fortunately, I happened have two spare new ECUs that came with the CS exhaust package that I bought when I decided to put the exhaust back to stock. It's not exactly "plug and play" and as config firmware had to be copied from the good ECU to the new ECU. Used the opportunity to tighten up the PIS on the clutch. Pick up is excellent with very little slippage, tight shifts and only 6% wear. Feels like a new car!!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bad dash, ABS control unit, bad TCU or bad Motronic can set a CAN bus error and cause malfunction and error warnings in all listed systems.

5. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Thanks for clarifying - certainly the only way to diagnose this error is an SD2 and someone that knows how to use it!