In pursuit of a 430 Scuderia...hopefully | FerrariChat

In pursuit of a 430 Scuderia...hopefully

Discussion in '360/430' started by singletrack, Mar 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1 singletrack, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gents,

After getting more seat time in the 430 Scuderia this past weekend, I came away pretty certain that this is the next Ferrari for me. There is only one problem - I *should* not afford it! Ha!

I'm also up to my eyes in current car projects, but I am simply in love. I love everything about it - exterior and interior. Basically the deal is that I'm waiting for 2 big deals to come in, which could land me additional disposable cash allowing my wacky brain to pull the trigger on one without feeling like an overspending-****. So hopefully in 6-18months I will be posting about my new scud - we shall see ; )

Background - currently drive a modified BMW M3 (09) and X5 (12 - diesel), and "modified to the original desires of Enzo - I hope" 78 308 GTS ; )

I've also driven the MP4-12C, 458 Italia. Although I'm quite sure I'm faster in both the 458 and the MP4, the scud was made for me. It would mainly be a track car for me...maybe tow it behind the X5 for travel events down the coast; drive it a bit near my house and the local track - 45mins away.

I also LOVE the 458 and think it is probably the best all around car of its kind ever made, but connect way more with the Scud. I am not a fan of the MP4 overall compared to the alternatives, but it is an amazing and terrifying machine. But it really does lack the soul people talk about IMHO vs the 458 or 430 Scud. Even when I had it at 10/10ths I felt like the car was driving and I was riding...really weird sensation. Amazing car though don't get me wrong.

I'm going to start my research now in my spare time and try to educate myself. Thanks in advance for everyone's contributions. I've been blown away by the 308 forum and am looking forward to this journey one day soon.

Picture of the black Scud I drove. I highly recommend Exotics Racing btw. If you have decent skills the instructors will not only let you go all out, but they may actually make you a better racer depending on your level of ability. If you have no skills, then you will definitely get better! Or, get thrown off the track! ; )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    +1 That has been exactly my experience at ER. I fell for the Scud there too (drove many of their cars back-to-back on a few occasions there when sorting out what I wanted in a sports car). Some here disagree, but for me (my sports cars choice has zero DD criteria) trying them on the track provided me with exactly what I needed to know about them...

There is a beautiful silverstone scud for asking price of $188k in the f-chat classifieds right now. IF I was after one, that would be the one...(I don't know the car and PPI as always). That said, if you intent to track "a lot", I would look for a higher mileage, more basic one, perhaps a 2008 for closer to $150k range. (a few have sold there over the past few years).

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good luck on your search, and thanks for the tip re: ER. I haven't taken my scud to the track yet. Maybe I should get some practice with their scud first. ;)

BTW, I've owned my scud for several months now and absolutely love it. I'm sure you will too.

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice!

The latter is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm not really hung up on color, options, etc - that I know of yet ; ) So a basic one would be fine. I do not care *at all* about miles as long as they are quality miles and the car is solid. Ok, I don't want a 100k mile scud, but 30k miles will not scare me. In general, I try to never buy any first MY cars. Still have to do my research on issues here : )

Thanks for the info!

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Do it! Especially if they are accessible. It's a fun, technical track also - at least in Vegas.

That's awesome! What do you use it for mainly? Any *surprise* shortcomings in terms of comfort or daily driving? I've *only* driven them on the track! Ha!

I have to make room in my garage. Now that my wife knows I'm serious, she said sternly, "I'm not going to lose my stall am I!?"

Hahahah...no honey.

6. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    not to many scud left out there, supply and demand is kicking in, Scud prices are jumping right up,

7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I agree good ones with low mileage and good records especialy favored color combos are demanding a premium. I know I paid towards the upper end of the spectrum but don't regret it one bit it is a very unique car and unique experience.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No doubt - rightfully so! I'm very flexible though and not hung up on details though so I'm hoping there is a one hundred and fifty thousand dollar "bargain" out there for me. LOL. That sentence will never sound normal to me - ever.

9. Ross_L

Ross_L Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I did Exotics Racing years ago and it was a lot of fun. I did 20 laps in a Gallardo and 20 laps in a 430. I don't think the 458 was out yet. I was 100% sold on the 430 after that! My friend went with me and managed to get the Scud and after hearing it pass me on track I had to have one! Fast forward 4-5 years later and now I have a Scud :). It's the best car I've owned so far.

10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Just be careful cars in that range usually are stories cars. This website is a great resource of info when you find the car you like check back here just to do your due diligence and do a PPI

11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Or just higher mileage...these cars are now 5-6 years old and several will have over 10,000 miles even if driven a smallish 2000 per year...the relatively unused ones with 5000 miles at this age are still going in the 190k range...so a 15,000 mile car will be 170k range and, if there is one out there, a 20-30k mile car like the OP mentioned he wanted would be 150k range without being storied (which I think of as wrecked and repaired or prior rental or heavy tracked, not simply driven a few thousand miles per year.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

You are funny, and wrong. Scud prices have held steady for the past couple of years. Which is impressive. But, they have not and are not "jumping right up".

Try joining reality, it's nice over here! (Or at least post some examples to support your conclusion)

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Just noticed your comment about avoiding first model years...I tend to agree with you...but, I would not worry about 2008 scud in that way...for two reasons. First, we are 6 years on and there haven't been any issues with the cars that arose early and were solved in later cars (some will say the carbon hazing issue got better in later cars, but that has not been what I've seen). Second, the scud is obviously a 430 with mods and thus based in technology that had been out there for years (e-diff is the one exception and there have been only a few issues with those).

Other than owners having to accept carbon hazing and headlight "spidering" and that F1 is a wearable part, these cars have been solid.

14. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    It is true in the UK, there aren't many out there and prices have been level for 3 years and now starting too move up. (maybe not jumping - yet!) ;)

15. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Once you get one, bring it out to Road America to stretch its legs out! I instruct there and that track is too much fun in a car like that... when that time comes around hit me up!

A vid of me in the Scud from last year at RA...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRXU9IoiHgY]430 Scuderia at Road America 8-4-2013 - YouTube[/ame]

16. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Where are all the clowns that said the scuds. in 2 to 3 years are going to be worth 100k and lower , they wish , i see the scuds. going up and up every year there only 2000 build in the world , supply and demand that what they all said 3 years ago ,

17. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Single track,
    Put my 08 Scud up for sale again.. Its in the classifieds...

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

I don't know, I never saw anyone say anything that stupid and if they did I would expect those with functioning brains to have laughed or discounted it. Similarly your comments on this topic over time have lacked a footing in reality, so yours are similarly treated.

None of us know where prices are going from here. They have been basically flat for the past couple of years. That is, again, impressive. That's all I've got to say on this topic, so I'll join others in ignoring your biased, wrong and speculative remarks.

19. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Haha, i also laugh every time i see his comments. But surprisingly there is some truth to it. Two examples of scud asking prices above historical levels (and the pricing guide): fuirano57's 08 for $195 and this resale red perfectly spec'd 08 with 6000 miles asking $199. Prices have definitely held steady and do seem to be increasing for perfectly maintained, non storied top examples with low miles.

Ferrari 430 Scuderia | eBay

20. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Prices are not "jumping up", but they are rising for clean, low mileage cars. Black cars seem to take longer to sell (and are commanding lower prices accordingly).

21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Which cars have sold for higher than the pricing guide we have been using?

There have been 1-2 that I'm aware of that have sold above guide in recent months and also some that have sold below. That's just as always of course, the market doesn't drive to any exact price, prices vary. If you (or anyone) has evidence (more than one or two data points) that the market has changed, I'll be interested to see it.

Right now, there is that red 08 above guide asking, and there is a silverstone on F-chat classifieds for under guide. And a few others on either side.

For anyone saying prices are rising, please provide facts to support.

OTOH, if you are suggesting that you believe prices will rise in the future, then just say so. I believe predictions are hard to make, especially as they relate to the future :)

22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That red one is awesome. One variable in the pricing formula that I've always wondered if it would ultimately hold is the premium for 2009 cars of $10,000. I agree with the formula that the USCF package is worth a premium, but what about a car like this 2008 that has the package? I've always thought that perhaps someday the market wouldn't differentiate between 2009 and 2008 cars with similar colors, miles and carbon. Either way, that 2008's asking price is "above guide". We shall see where it sells...

Its also becoming painfully evident in the sales data that RESALE RED is a very real thing :)

Its somewhat sad that the other colors (white excepted) don't move as quickly or perhaps even hold value as well. And heaven help those with non-standard colors and "odd" interior colors and combos...those are flatout painful to sell...

23. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    i agree 100% on that note ,but a few years back when the 458 were comming out everyone that own a scud were getting hit big time on a trade in for a 458 everyone was losing and saying the scud were only worth as much as a 360 ???

24. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    I'm letting mine go right at pricing model value. 2008 Grigio Silverstone, black with red accent interior with 14.5k miles.

25. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    just remember a Scuderia is as fast as a 458 around Fiorano....and a whole lot more special