What to look for when buying carbon fiber. A consumer information post | FerrariChat

What to look for when buying carbon fiber. A consumer information post

Discussion in '360/430' started by Carbonio, Mar 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    I was motivated to make this post based upon an experience I had a few days ago. Not knowing my background in CF a guy at a car show invited me to have a look at his Ferrari that he had just kitted out with a lot of aftermarket carbon. All proud he showed me his car and to my horror I could not believe how BAD the quality was. Now this is not me being picky but rather I was concerned because the owner was happy with what visibly was a product that was significantly inferior to a properly made part. He raved about how the company was great to deal with but as I poked further I realized that he had been duped and he did not know it.

As a company who takes pride in making high quality parts, and as a long time F-Chat sponsor, we wanted to make this information post to help those in the market for carbon parts make informed purchasing decisions by showing what to look for and what questions to ask when shopping for carbon.

When buying you must be sure to deal with a manufacturer or an authorized dealer of a manufacturer. The industry is full of re-sellers who merely add parts to their ‘catalogue’ with no first-hand knowledge or manufacturer support.

Things to look for on the parts:

Straight away look at the part and look at the pattern of the carbon. The weave should be STRAIGHT. You should not see waves in the carbon as this is a sign of poor workmanship, poor processes or both. Quality parts are made from pre-preg carbon that has been skillfully hand laid and autoclave baked under pressure to ensure the strongest and lightest part possible. The weave will often be the first sign of this.

Most carbon parts are clear coated to bring out the look of the carbon. Cheap parts look like they have a thick ‘candy shell’ coating of clear. This thick clear is an almost instant give away to cheap carbon. The clear will cloud or yellow and is very prone to cracking especially at stress points. Quality carbon parts have multiple thin coats of clear applied that are hand buffed between coats. Although much more labor intensive this gives a deep shine that is very durable.

Things to look for from the vendor:

Does the vendor show images of THEIR PARTS INSTALLED? Again you should be buying from a manufacturer or an authorized dealer for an established manufacturer. There are a lot of sellers out there who show one or two pics of a part shot on a table. In most cases they have never fitted a part themselves and in other instances they have NEVER held a part in their hands. They buy the parts from an offshore vendor with no product support and no recourse if there is a problem. Even a copy of an OEM part needs to be trial fitted as there are a lot of tolerances that can only be tested on a car.

Does the vendor supply installation instructions with the parts they sell? Even the most basic of aftermarket parts should come with some sort of installation instructions and or a product care guide. After having spent a lot of money it is not nice to get a box with a part in it and nothing more. Established companies spend a lot of time making sure that a product is market ready and give their customers the tools to make their purchase experience a good one even after the inventory leaves their premises.

I could go on at length on this subject but I think the point is made and hopefully will spawn some constructive discussion. I will also add that there are some excellent vendors out there that have lots of experience and offer top rate customer support. One of these is fellow F-chat sponsor MAcarbon who offers excellent carbon offerings to the aftermarket.

At Carbonio we can proudly say that we are directly involved in the design and manufacture of all of our products. We test fit prototype and production parts to cars and we do durability testing BEFORE we offer a single unit for sale. All parts come with installation instructions we wrote from our own first-hand experience, are serial numbered and fitted with tamper proof holograms to show their authenticity, and carry our unlimited mileage guarantee backed by a company with over a decade experience in the industry.

When looking for carbon fiber for your Ferrari price should always be a factor but there are many other considerations to bear in mind to ensure that your purchase is everything it should be.

We hope this thread will be of help to anyone looking to upgrade their ride.

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Great pointers. There are a lot of hydro dipped CF looking parts floating around. These are usually stock parts that have been "dipped". The quality ranges from good to really bad but none compare to the real thing.

3. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Hydro clad or hydro dipped CF look parts should not be confused with what we are discussing here. This post is all about real carbon fiber and not carbon look which is a whole field of its own.

For those who do not know, hydro cladding is a process where a decal that contains a finish (in this case CF but could be just about anything) is floated on top of a bath of water. A part is then immersed through the decal which transfers itself to the part taking up all of the nooks and crannies of the surface. Hydro cladding is as similar to real carbon fiber as gold paint is to real gold. It only fools the least knowledgeable of folks much like some people mistake a Mustang for a Ferrari because they both have a horse on the front.

Back to the topic at hand we just want to have customers look for the right things and ask the right questions when buying real carbon. There are all kinds of quality levels out there and the prices are not always an indication of what you are getting. This is why customer education is important.

4. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry. I wasn't trying to confuse anyone by straying off topic. I only brought up the hydro cladding because I've seen people get duped buying on line thinking it was the real deal. The points you made about the patterns will definitely help to sort out the real deal from inferior products. Thanks.

5. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very informative post. Thank you.

So is the weave and finish of the carbon driver zone so many of us have in our F430 a good indication of what other OEM and Carbonio parts should look like? Or is that area simply "cosmetic" carbon which is different again from quality engine bay and diffuser carbon?

Sorry for the naive question but I don't have any other examples to draw upon.

6. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    There are no naive or dumb questions except for the ones left unasked.

Regarding the carbon Ferrari uses they actually mandate the same construction and finishing methods for interior trim pieces as they do for parts that appear in the engine bay or on the exterior of the car. For this reason the parts are all treated the same and therefore will look the same and to answer your question it is the level of quality to expect from OEM, Carbonio, or any other vendor.

We have been lucky in our business to do a fair bit of work for the OEM and their standards are very specific. What many people fail to realize is how important the labor and finishing component is to making a part in carbon. Good raw materials are a minimum requirement but if those materials are not handled correctly then all of their quality cannot make up for a lack of skill by the builder. Imagine two suits made from the same high end fabric but stitched together by two tailors of very different skill levels.

7. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well after reading that I'm convinced. The only F430 carbon components I can find on the Carbonio website are the air box covers. I'm interested in carbon engine lid louvres and a rear diffuser. Do you make those to order? I'm assuming everything ships from the US and there is no UK agent?

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    For the F430 we sell a limited offering including airboxes, shift paddles, and our rather popular cup holder upgrade. Where we try to differentiate ourselves is that we hold inventory and do not make parts to order. Nobody likes to wait so we pride ourselves on being able to ship purchases quickly. At present there is no UK agent that would hold inventory so the fastest way to get parts is to order directly.

Regarding the engine lid louvers I can recommend the ones from fellow Fchat sponsor MAcarbon as I know they will be good.

As for the rear diffuser the only quality offering I can be sure of is the OEM Ferrari. Again as discussed at the beginning of this post there are a lot of vendors online who sell a diffuser for the F430. Most are shown just photographed on a table or sometimes an image of a car fitted with an OEM diffuser is used to represent the product. I know matter of fact that most of these offerings come from one or two offshore vendors and having seen those products in the flesh I can confidently say that their quality falls far short of what should be acceptable for the Ferrari owner.

9. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fair enough. Thanks for your honest assessment.

10. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    I would like to ask. Why do no 3rd party manufacturers of cf parts make 360 air boxes with the correct coupling. Other than OEM, which are eye watering expensive, all others use silicone pipes and jubilee clips.
    430 ones however have the correct coupling.

11. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    How do you view the quality of Ferrari factory parts?
    I've seen weave very far off and the thickness of the clear seems inconsistent

12. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    What do the different weave patterns look like. Anyone have pics they can post?

What is the standard Ferrari pattern?

JN

13. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #13 captglen, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    Does anyone have pictures of the Valence Carbon airboxes?

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    How long does the work last? In other words putting this in the car, specifically door sills, is there a wear issue ?

16. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for posting the pics of both types of carbon fiber patterns side by side. You can definitely see the difference between the two.

17. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Carbon fiber is still considered an "exotic" material but as time goes on it has become far more accessible. We feel that anyone purchasing a carbon fiber product should be aware of differences in quality.

18. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    The factory airboxes have the flange to the MAF because the MAF on the CS 360 is a different part than the standard 360, the standeard 360 is a slip coupler.

19. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    There seems to be a lot of talk in the forum lately about carbon fiber so we thought we would revive this thread to make sure that Ferrari owners looking for carbon on their car had the best information available to make informed buying decisions.

Note that there are BIG variations in carbon fiber out there and that buyers need to be careful to ensure they get parts that are to the standard of their prized possession. The original post and subsequent comments should aid in this process.

20. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    +1000

Sometimes it matters.
    Sometimes it doesn't.

It always matters on a Ferrari unless it's just for weight/strength on a race car.

21. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Hi gents, this write up is probably more pertinent today than ever.

Definately a good read for anyone looking to add carbon fiber to their car.

22. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

hi, can you tell the quality of a carbon fiber part with confidence just by looking at a hi-resolution picture of it? Or you have to see it in person and hand feel it?

23. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Photos normally only identify the worst quality of parts. Things to look for is how straight the weave of the carbon is and if the surface looks uniform and free of obvious flaws. Away from that it can be hard to tell how good a part is until you hold it in your hands.

In this industry a lot of confidence comes from established manufacturers who offer comprehensive information pre-sale and knowledgeable service post-sale based on first-hand product knowledge and experience. We at Carbonio re-iterate that we are involved in every step of our products from design through to final testing and do so before the first one ever makes it to the customer.

Don't be afraid to challenge other suppliers as to why they do not have comprehensive INSTALLED product photos on EVERYTHING that they sell and in addition installation manuals. If they have done the necessary product testing this info should be readily available and part of their marketing materials.

24. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #24 txitalia, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Great points, all. Identifying 'false' carbon fiber is a serious problem with the industry.

The two main types we have experienced so far have been the 'cheap' ones that are made of fiberglass. Then the 'manufacturer' adds a single layer of carbon fiber on the outside of the item, then clears it in place.

This allows the item to be 'cheaper' to make and it allows the manufacurer to claim they make their items out of 'real carbon fiber'. The only clue the defrauded customer has is to compare it to the original metal item. Of course, the fiberglass/carbon item is lighter than the metal item (the front hood for example) it replaces, so the customer got an inexpensive carbon fiber item, so they are happy.

The only way to tell if the item is fake is if the item gets damaged. Then the underlying fiberglass will be revealed and the customer thinks all carbon fiber is like that or they realize they have been ripped off.

25. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The second method of fake carbon fiber is a new item; dyed fiberglass threads. Weave a sheet in the same pattern as carbon fiber and you will never know the difference - unless it is weighed directly next to carbon fiber.

Again, the fiberglass is lighter than the original, so the customer suspects nothing. But once the customer feels the same item in real carbon fiber, there is no going back.

The only giveaway is price. Cheap carbon fiber products are just that; cheap!