Transmission light came on car will not shift past 2nd gear | FerrariChat

Transmission light came on car will not shift past 2nd gear

Discussion in '360/430' started by FLF360, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Drove my 360 after a week of sitting in the garage 26 miles later the car starts beeping and the transmission light came one. The car would not shift past second gear. It goes on reverse. Shifts to N,1st and 2nd. Also shifts down, but does not go up past 2nd gear. Any one know what it could be? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think you need to get it hooked up to an SD2 to determine what's going on. Will it shift normally in Auto?
    Alan

3. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Alan. I tried shifting with auto as well as manual... I'm new to this only had this car for a year and it has 27,000 miles...

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    So did it shift in Auto normally?
    Alan

5. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    It will shift normal from neutral to first and second and back down on both auto and manual... But does not shift up to 3rd on neither auto or manual

6. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is your speedo working?

7. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Yes, everything works fine... I turn the battery switch off and back on... Transmission light still on.. Test drove it... Reverse, first, second gear down shifts fine... Does not go above second gear..

8. Ferrari Spider

Ferrari Spider Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    North America
    I had the exact same problem last year, i thought it was the end of the world but turned out it was a sensor issue they ordered the part (around $250 + 1/2 hr labour) and the car was shifting normal again. I will try to find my invoice and give you the exact part number.

9. Ferrari Spider

Ferrari Spider Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    North America
    But if you want a temporary fix (i did this for about a month) but i dont recommend it, all you do is speed up to your normal speed and then put the car in neutral and then pull the upshift lever, the car will automatically shift into the appropriate gear according to the speed and then it will downshift from there without any issues but will not upshift again, so you repeat the same procudure again. I drove it this way for 3 hrs straight on the highway in 6th gear without any issues or damage and got it to my Ferrari dealer for service.

360HB likes this.
  10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I figured this out when I was on the freeway in stop and go traffic. It's the F1 sensor. The part is cheap, though they usually hit you up for a F1 fluid flush as well. The whole job is about $900

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think you are talking about the speed sensor. To change the F1 sensor it would be alot more than $900 with labour. This sensor is in the bell housing and costs $ 450.00 alone.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The clutch position sensor on the 360 and F430 can be changed, without removing the clutch, by a competent Ferrari mechanic The quote sounds pretty good, considering the clutch position sensor alone is $450 from Ricambi.

13. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont see how you would remove the two bolts that hold the sensor without spilting the transmission from the motor. Just so that we are on the same page part # 178060 f1 sensor kit for clutch position.The clutch assembly can still be together but you would still need to spilt motor and transmission to get at this sensor which is in the bell housing.If the part is $450.00 iam sure that with labour it would be alot more than $900

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was thinking this myself. Laparoscopic surgery at best from the inspection panel beneath the transmission.

Best I can think is that you unbolt the aluminum carrier frame atop the engine and leave the tranny mount in place. Then you unbolt the lower transmission mount/arm and the bolts around the perimeter of the transmission. You then slide it out just enough to get access and then replace it.. and then slide the transmission back together. You avoid the WYAIT stuff in there. I'd only do it if my clutch reading before the shenanigans was high, and the confirmation at the window shows ample clutch material left.

15. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    I called the Ferrari of Tampa Dealer today. Whe I told them my problem they said it didn't sound good, but they did say it could be a sensor gone bad and the reason the car does not shift past second could be the car going into safe mode.. I'm just worried it could be crazy expensive.. Just had some maintenance done and had a cracked motor mount replaced and it was I've $6K... Ugh.. Thank you all for your responses

16. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Hey - please make sure to give us an update on what the problem was, what it took to get it solved and how much it cost.

I think it will help a lot later on when someone else is using the search function.

Good luck and I hope it will be a less than a $1000 problem!

17. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    #17 FLF360, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael, Curt- Brian Crall has stated the clutch position sensor can indeed be R&Rd on the 360 and F430 without removing the clutch. Cannot do it on the V12s, but you can on those two V8s.

armedferret likes this.
  19. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Terry
    I never said anything about removing the clutch..this sensor is inside the bell housing # 178060 and costs $450.00 alone.To change it would cost more than $450.00 in labour thats all i said. we are not talking about the same sensor.You still have to split the transmission from the motor to get at the two screws that hold it.and labour would be alot more than $450.00 to do that.

20. FLF360

FLF360 Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Wanted to keep you guys updated.. Got a call from the Ferrari dealer on the diagnoses... Bad gearbox sensor that needs to be replaced... $859 out the door... Thank you all for your input

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Whew! That's almost free in the world of Ferrari!

22. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow
    Your lucky it was not the $450.00 sensor inside the bell housing. Which of the two outside of the gear box sensors was it?.The $288.00 dollar electro sensor or the cheaper $113.00 dollar angolar sensor?

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Yup, we are talking about the same sensor, the clutch position sensor.

24. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Terry
    Maybe you can tell me if they have some laparoscopic surgery method?
    Because i sure would like to know how they get the two flat head screws that hold the sensor inside of the bell housing with out spilting the gear box from the motor. Even if it's just a few inch's for only $400.00 in labour.?

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- You need to ask Brian. All I know is the clutch position sensor can be swapped without having to do all the labor intensive parts removal.

JSP likes this.