just got 360 :) | FerrariChat

just got 360 :)

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360ian, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #1 360ian, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys - just got a 360 rosso / manual / chrema - loving it but just a couple of questions if I may.

I may have got the manual "clutch click" occasionally - seen references on this forum, just wondered what it is and what trouble / costs I might expect :(

The other query is (as attached photo) my guages are the readings when the engine has been running at idle for approx 20 mins in my garage (only double doors open - so no front airflow to car) - are these readings ok ?

Many thanks for any thoughts / replies

Cheers
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Looks pretty normal to me, at least in a hot climate. I'd keep an eye on the oil pressure, and if you run the car hard in hot weather further lowering the gauge at idle maybe getting a lighter weight oil in there... There is a good write up of what is normal in the service manual.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Could be normal, proof will be when you actually get out and drive it in the breeze so you can see if the water temp goes down and as the car revs and goes under load the oil pressure should move around a bit. Mine can be as low as you are showing here at idle. You will want to make a habit of keeping an eye on the oil temp when you get to driving. If you really want to pamper your car and also follow the recommendations in the manual you wont let the RPM's go above 4K until the oil temp is up. I think it says 150 degrees in the manual which is up near the quarter mark on the temp gauge.

Lets see some more pics and you might consider filling out your profile a little more so we know where you are in the world too! :)

4. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    congrats...

but might I ask...why are you idling in garage for 20 minutes??

temps look fine...

5. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Lighter weight oil in warmer climate???

:D

6. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Why would you be running the car for 20mins at idle in the garage, or anywhere else for that matter?

7. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    ...details details.

8. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    details details...

9. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Well, details or not, running hard in warmer climate you want a Heavier Weight oil, not a lighter..... up from 5w40 to 5w50 or 15w50 as an example.......

:D

10. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    yes, i saw my mistake pretty quickly... :) anyway, I swap the appropriate direction up to a 60

11. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Im running 10w60. Warm climate. No Winter.

12. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Guys - apologies haven't done my Profile yet, but am in London UK and still grinning.
    Mark - reason for static garage test was to create a "warm climate" scenario (where only 12 Deg C ambient here in UK currently)
    Kevin and cm2 - will get more piccies as soon as poss - thanks for ref to the manual - will get reading....

Cheers
    ian

13. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Enjoy and please post more pics!!!

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Normal readings at idle. Drive it and oil pressure will go up. All normal.

15. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Hi Ian,

I am in the UK as well (Kent) and would make the following observations

1. Don't let your car sit and idle as you have suggested, far better to drive it and get it properly warm to avoid any potential of moisture build up
    2. My 360, once properly warm, has oil pressure about the same as yours at idle
    3. Water temperature looks a little on the high side, could be just down to no air flow through the rads but even when stuck in traffic, compared to mine I think maybe the fans should keep it a bit lower than what yours is showing. Might just be worth checking fluid level and condition of rads and, that both fans are kicking in properly (easily audible at front of car).
    4. Oil temperature seems OK.

Remember though, the dials are not 'gauges' as such, they are not precisely calibrated but are just indicators and will vary slightly from car to car and environment to environment so you should expect a different reading from other people.

Cheers

Arron

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    as above, readings look fine.

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 on all points.
    The only comment I have is regarding the water temp gauge. That should be the highest it should go, and that's approximately the moment both fans should have kicked on. If you idled it for 20 minutes (not good for engine), the fans more than likely should have cycled on and off several times. The first cycle should have started after approx 10 minutes assuming you started with a cold engine. After the first cycle, if left idling, they should have kicked on every few minutes. If this sounds accurate, then all your gauges seem to show perfectly normal numbers.

18. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Numbers all look fine, as others have said its unwise to leave the car idling in the garage for too long without driving, I have a 430 (same basic car and principals) i drive the car after a few minutes idling and keep revs under 3 to 3.5rpm and try not to labour the engine, usually after 10 -15 mins you should be good to go!!!

Above all welcome to the club, and enjoy in good health.

19. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Wow - what a Forum,
    Thanks to all of you for detailed advise and info - hopefully get to have a run later today, can't wait........:)

Will also check the "clutch pedal click" I think I am getting and has been mentioned on Forum and wondered what it was / likely problems

Thanks again

Cheers
    Ian

20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    My water temperature on 90 degree F days will run just above the hash mark between 140 and 210. When sitting in traffic it will get just past the 210 mark and then the fans cut in and it drops to where yours is. Having said that the temperature sending units have been known to give erroneous readings.
    Your oil temperature and oil pressure seem about right.
    Alan

21. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Spurious readings on a Ferrari!!!! - Never.......

22. Breakup

Breakup Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah looks normal. When mine sits in traffic on a hot day will get up to 210 on the temp sometimes slightly over, but the oil press will look low like yours. When I start moving at up to about 40MPH temp goes down. When I'm pushing the car, it oil press kicks up to 120 and temp is down to qtr line.

Hope that helps.

23. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks again for responses chaps - had a great run out yesterday - gauges followed all your experiences above, fans kicking in at just on 210 etc, very pleased.
    The "clutch pedal click" does happen but rarely, so will keep an eye on it - just wondered if anyone new what this "problem" might be for 360s, thanks

cheers
    ian