battery tender and door seal | FerrariChat

battery tender and door seal

Discussion in '360/430' started by vlagana, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vlagana

vlagana Rookie

Apr 12, 2013
    close to Laguna Seca
    today is the 1st time I'm using my factory battery tender on my F430. I am passing the cable out through the lower corner of the passenger door. I am concerned that prolonged use in this manner will result in a door seal deformity resulting in an increase in air noise when driving my car
    has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.
    ps i searched the forum and did not find anything.

vic

2. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Just put the window down 1/4 inch and pass the wire there.

3. gum3

gum3 Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Bath, OH
    Full Name:
    Todd
    FYI both factory tenders I've had for my Scud work poorly at best. I've had better luck with a standard 1.5A tender. Hopefully I've just had some bad apples- good luck!

4. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    I wrap a handkerchief around the cord so it doesn't damage the sale or paint

5. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I would have thought that would make matters worse (per the OP's concern). I just drop the glass a ¼". I've also heard that the Ferrari tender is not very good.
    Alan

6. chengf430

chengf430 Karting

Mar 8, 2013
    This is exactly what I do.

7. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Wire has been under the door in my 360 for three years with no ill effects.

A lot less chance of the wire or some connector part hitting anything inside or outside the car.

Good luck and enjoy!!

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    +1. I like to keep these things as close to the ground as possible.

Actually, I'm more worried about the door seal pinching the damn wire for the CTEK I have, rather than the wire deforming the door seal. Maybe I need to wrap my wire in that area with electrical tape as a preventative measure...

9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Absolutely no problem using the corner of the door. Have done so for years without any problems what so ever. I have done the window approach and for whatever reason some one like the wife snags arm full of groceries. Never any damage,but the thought always arose. Your call, but lower is fine, tuck the charger behind the wheel.

Docf

10. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have two factory chargers (one where the connection is under the bonnet, the other is a Ferrari-branded CTEK) but I don't use either. Instead I use the 7-amp CTEK (I know, that is overkill, but it was the same price as a 3 amp unit). I run the CTEK wire out the lower front corner of the pass door of my 360, it has not deformed the gasket at all.

11. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    And remember to move it before driving off. :)
    Alan

12. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #12 PbPedis, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

I pass the wire under the door on my 08 430 never had any sealing problems, it is impossible to drive off with the tender attached as the car won't start.

As an extra precaution to remind me I fasten the red branded bag which the charger comes in around the top rim of the steering wheel using he Velcro flap as a reminder flag that the the tender is still connected.

14. chillo

chillo Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    East Yorks, England
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Under the door works just fine for me!
    Ps
    I'll be around Harrogate later today so keep an eye out for me :D

15. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    Under the door for last 5 years no problems , also display on dash shows picture of battery on tender and car won't start when connected so no chance of forgetting it .

16. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Decided to move it permanently to the vent in the front bumper. Had to streatch the cable all the way in front and put the connector so that it is available via the right side vent. Works great and no worries about cables or nothing. Calculate about 1 hour to complete the whole procedure.

17. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Chillo: family day today so will probably be in town later, keep an eye out for a Ruby Red BMW X5 M50d with a 2 ..M number plate.

The weather is pretty good over here at the moment, the sun is shinning but its still cold, have fun, mind the traffic in Harrogate as all the roads are being resurfaced for the Tour de France and its chaos with closed roads etc - not good for Ferrari dry clutches etc.

Enjoy the Stray!!

18. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I'm gonna move my wire from the trailing edge of the pass. door to the leading edge of the pass. door. I didn't know about that little tip. Thanks!!!

19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    So true English as I did not mention over the years two destroyed Tenders. Not mangled,but enough to screw up the electronics inside the Tenders.

Docf

20. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I usually drop my passenger window about one inch just enough to pass the wire thru. In that way I don't have to worry about the door seals.

21. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    since its in the garage when the charger is on, i just lower the window all the way.

22. vlagana

vlagana Rookie

Apr 12, 2013
    close to Laguna Seca
    Thanks for all the input regarding my post. Sounds silly but I like keeping my windows up to trap the smell of the leather. smell is intoxicating I love it!!