Winter/2nd Car Decision | FerrariChat

Winter/2nd Car Decision

Discussion in '360/430' started by spourreza, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Need to get a second car and originally my order of preference was:
    1- Cayenne S
    2- BMW X6
    3- Range Rover Sport

Well, I just test drove the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and could not believe the performance. 0-60 in 4.6s and launch control!!! At first I was hesitant about spending $74k for a Jeep but the SRT is insane. Nice substitute when I can't drive my 430 spider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Fastest 0-60... Also fastest $70-40k in its class. I wouldn't do it. Priced 50% too high from day 1 regardless of performance..

3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    All nice wheels, found a lot of 1st year issues on the Jeep....people loving it but more
    than usual problems and dealer time.
    I ended up getting a Audi Q5 TDI diesel, love it, awesome torque in town for
    Around $50K well equipped. Not near as fast as the Jeep SRT, but you would be
    surprised at the useable torque.

Or wait for the P-car Macan twin turbo.

4. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    I have the new GC limited Jeep and it's a great car
    Unbelievable car and has every option on it...Much better than my wife's 2014 model ML350AMG

But don't tell her

5. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Personally, I would go with a used Mercedes G550 / G55 .

6. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I recently picked up an Audi SQ5 for my wife. It's a much for fun car than I thought it would be.

7. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Agree...went back and forth between the Diesel and SQ, that SQ will show up
    a lot of sports sedans, even sports cars, 0-60 is 5.2, and big brakes, loved the
    SQ brakes.

8. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    wow, with all of us performance nuts, I am shocked that the SRT is not unanimous! What I liked about it is that you felt like you were still in a sports car (you almost are). Also, car was very tastefully built - no cheap parts. Better than Cayenne S and 1 sec faster....

9. skip737

skip737 Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Lodi, New York
    Full Name:
    WJH
    I recently replaced our winter car, a 2001 BMW X5 4.4i V-8 with a new Porsche Cayenne GTS. I absolutely love it. Great power (420 hp) and fabulous brakes. The GTS has the
    Turbo body without the complexity and expense of the turbo. I outfitted it with 20 inch OZ wheels with Michelin Latitude XIce 2 winter tires for winter use. Great choice. Absolutely no problem with the worst upstate New York winter in 40 years. Also another big bonus is that I am averaging over 23 mpg. Not bad for a 4600 lb. SUV. I cannot believe that anyone would ever pay $74k for a Jeep. P.T. Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute.

10. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    #10 spourreza, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    These are good points but put the brand aside for a second and compare the performance of your Turbo vs SRT (carbon brakes, HP, etc..). SRT is ways apart from Porsche. Brand won't sway me because most premium brands out there including BMW, Audi, Porsche and MB have gone totally mainstream - they have diluted their image. Take it from someone that drove a 911 for the past 15 years, it killed me to see cars like the Boxster and Macan get built. Not the same companies as they were 10 years ago. The SRT is built in a completely different think tank than the rest of the jeeps along with the Viper. But these are very interesting counter arguments but buying the "brand" isn't a deciding factor for me. Would you have bought your Turbo if it had a different label? But if performance is a factor for you, show me one truck that can outperform the "jeep" SRT...who is the sucker?

11. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I would NEVER buy a new car. Let the first owner take the hit and then buy it. The last car I owned (for 14 years!!!) was a Jaguar 97 XK8 Coupe. List was something like $70K -- I paid $46k.
    I guess if money is no object then be the first owner and take the hit for someone else.
    Alan

13. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I would go with the Cayenne S or preferably a GTS (that's what I have). If your all about performance, a Cayenne Turbo S. The Jeep may be quicker in a straight line, but the Cayenne you can drive like a sports car. Believe it or not, I took the Cayenne on a rally and was keeping up with 911s on the back roads. My 3rd Cayenne and I wouldn't look anywhere else for an SUV.

I drove a 2014 Cherokee (non SRT) about 3 months ago. They look very good, but it felt like driving a Ford Explorer and I was not impressed especially for the price that they wanted.

I drove an X5 a couple of times and was less than impressed. A good friend of mine has the Audi and it's nice as well, but didn't have the sports car feel of the Cayenne.

I picked the Cayenne because of it's tow capacity which is 7700 lbs with the factory tow kit. I tow my 30' Scarab in the summer and will be towing my 360 with an enclosed trailer as well. If you buy used get a 2009 or better. Not sure of the tow capacity on a jeep. I know the old SRTs you could not tow because of how the exhaust was routed.

I would be on the fence with a Jeep, I don't think that the build quality, fit, and finish is there vs the Audi or Porsche. Seems like I'm not the only one:

Track Tested: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 vs. 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

14. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Does your DD have to be fast? I have a 430 for that, my DD is a Cayenne DIESEL. I can tow my ATV's to my cabin in WV, go out with the wife on a Friday night, in style at 30mpg. Now 0-60 is about 35sec, but so what.

Careful on the Jeep SRT-8, you will resell it fast, but at a price.

15. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Thanks for this. Interesting. The 2014 SRT is now 4.6s and 8 speed tiptronic with Brembo carbon brakes - big change from 2012. I am searching for a more recent comparison on the internet. Thanks for this, its a good article though.

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    It seems like people have to talk you OUT of buying the SRT.

You've given a reason why the Macan isn't a contender. But, I'd recommend a hard look at the Audi Q5 / SQ5, if the body size fits your mission. If not, well, a Supercharged RR Sport is pretty awesome. Good luck.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ever so humble.

18. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Obviously the fastest to 60 is your priority, you like the SRT,
    find a used 2014 SRT now/when they show up. You pay $20K less and
    have the car you want.
    Drive the new Macan before you do, a recent article had it sniffing
    the heels of 911's on the track.

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Nice..don't hold back! Why buy that Jeep when you can spend $150,000 on a Porsche SUV that is no faster and has less interior room. Of course, I wouldn't call Cayenne Turbo buyers "fools", but I have shopped those at 50% of sticker after 4 years...or of course one could get a similarly equiped V6 Cayenne for $74,000 too...interesting choices...I wouldn't call anyone that buys any of those a fool though...for me, I've shopped Cayenne vs. Jeep twice now and both times bought a Jeep. I really like Porsche (have owned two) and certainly can afford the extra $ for the Cayenne, but the Jeep was just better for me...and far cheaper than comparable model of Cayenne. Call me foolish too then.

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    One of the funniest things I've done (literally LOLing) was getting driven by the insructor in a Cayenne Turbo S at the Porsche driving school for hot laps. There were four of us and the car was defying the laws of physics...IIRC the instructor said the SUV was only 1 second slower on Barber track than the 911S. I took his word for it.

Still...I have a CS for track days and a maser spider for weekend gettaways...the SUV is for, well SUV stuff! So, I keep getting a jeep and don't take "track performance" into account when buying an SUV...I think many of us own a sports car (or two or more) and an SUV. I doubt many of us track the SUV :)

21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The new GC is very impressively solid and materials are vastly upgraded and fit and finish is well above other US cars and close (if not on par with) Porsche and Audi imho. The reviews of the newer one's (not the one in your link) back this up.

22. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL!
    Get the Porsche. I got Cayenne in a GTS version, and do not miss my 911GTS - much:(.... as an every day driver. Fun to drive, and the 8 cyl sounds great once you pin back the exhaust flaps.

23. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    #23 spourreza, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Just drove the GTS demo an hour ago vs SRT. Sorry, anyone that says the SRT can't be tracked is nuts. The car feels like more of a sports car! Bought SRT. Some may feel better having a Porsche emblem but I have been there and done that. And I do have a ferrari! SRT has Carbon brakes, hemi, better center of gravity, launch control, 8 speed paddle shifter and a much more advanced interior ...SRT felt like more of a sports and very well grounded. The car actually felt faster than my old 997. Those that don't agree should try the car. Thanks for everyone's feedbacks and opinions! Very useful

24. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Congrats ! Pics/color ? Any discounts on those ? A guy on the Viper forum just posted
    that he picked up a $140k 2003 Viper GTS for $99K ......1/3 off....

25. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

I have a late 2012 BMW X5 M50d as a daily driver and I love it - 100% reliable, 0-60 in 5.3 secs nearly 400 bhp and 550il/ft of torque and 30 mpg average.

This triple turbo oil burner really is something else, M suspension, adaptive ride and 6 pot big brakes from the X5M.

Sure it's no sports car but as a monster everyday car with snow tires for winter it takes some beating.