430 Scuderia first experience on Nordschleife and couple questions | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia first experience on Nordschleife and couple questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kislik, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    I've got nice piece of 430 Scudria last week and drove it directly from dealer to Nordschleife on autobahn (700km one way) and made c/a 35-40 laps. I have to mention that my previous cars were Nissan GTR (modified) and M3 CSL (modified).

I have to say that this machine is very special. I'm happy that I did not chose 911GT3 as it's kinda common. but..

- it is EXTREMELY noisy inside. Way louder than GT3RS. First day on the ring I had to buy ear plugs and use them even on my way home on highway. Loud engine, exhaust, wheels, brakes, aerodynamic. You can hear it all, a lot. For an hour trip it's fine, for 4 days and 2500 km it's not.

- it accelerates way faster than GT3RS

- ceramic brakes I feel are not much sensitive it's nearly all or nothing. I can hardly feel how much power goes on brakes from pedal. on the other hand brake pads goes off very slowly.

- suspension and tires i feel are more street than track. My previous CSL was faster through corners than this (of course my first time, means it will go up but not that much). have somebody here tested different tires? like Michelin CUP etc?

- seats and seating position is far from perfect. I'm 183cm tall and it force me to have my back down so I'm quite far from steering wheel. If I set correct back angle my head is too close to roof. any chance to lower the seats?

thank You for your comments on the seats lowering and tires, thank you

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head room. Make sure your seat bottom is in the lowest position -- it is height adjustable (need to remove screws to do this).

3. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    perfect thanks for info it's adjustable. will check this it seems it's quote high for me, really hope to get them lower

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Search for posts from F430GT - he has posts on brake pads, lowering, and tons of track-setup info. I bet you will find all or most of your answers in those posts. Stock pads are not up to the task at the limit - as with most street cars.

I'm 6'4 and don't have an issue with seating position...have long legs.

Shortcut for you : )

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/24558.html

5. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for sharing. Do you still have your E46 CSL? Pics pls...

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    The steering column is also telescopic so you can pull it outwards towards you.

As for the ceramic brakes, you need to get them into temperature before you get the nice feel+sensitivity...when it's cold, there is no bite.

7. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    steering is clear I did that already. I believe brakes were more than on temperature. still is way less sensitive than my steel alcons on csl

8. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I track my 430 Scuderia on a regular basis and I moved from original pads to PAGID RS29 last year. They are a little bit noisy on the street but much better on the track. Today you can get PAGID RSC1, specially made for our 430 Scuderia brakes. If you are still on originals pads, I would change to RSC1 before you cook you original pads and risk destroying the disks, something most Scuderia owner only do once ;-)

If, or maybe when, you need new disks you can check out SCICOM. They can bring them back to life for a fraction of the cost of new...

SICOM EUROPE - CCM Refurbishment service - SICOM Brakes - High performance ceramic braking systems - CCM brakes

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Johan, have you replaced or refurbished your rotors yet? BTW, I just picked up some RSC1 pads.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great info; thanks!

Is there a simple way to determine if the existing rotors are cooked?

11. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hi
    Please report back your thoughts about the RSC1.

No I haven't tried SCICOM yet, but I guess I will have to before the end of this year. Most of my Scuderia friend has moved into steel disks but intend to go back now that SCICOM showed up. Steel seems to be the economical choice but they are supposedly not as good as ceramics, that's. I know steel are used in racing, but maybe they need better cooling to work...

12. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The disks wont cook, the pads will. When the pads gets overheated and "melt" they eat into the disks really quick. When the disks are done, you will feel the rugged surface, they are normally smooth. Take a look at the SCICOM site...

13. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    #13 Kislik, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

do we talk about same system? do you see the screws on this picture? I don't see any to change the seat position
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014

Good info for the rotors. Anyway I asked in Pagid and was told that R29 compound is not ok for CCM disks. I used them on CSL with Alcons and it was great. I was suggested that Pagid that made new RSL compound which should be similar to R29 just ok for CCM. I have a set on order already

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Will do once I install the pads. Steel is an economical choice but is also heavy. Personally, I don't want the additional rotating mass.

Interesting, your seat is different. It looks like it is a bottom mount seat whereas my seat is a side mount seat supported by a bracket having multiple holes that enable height adjustment. You could remove the rails and mount the seat directly to the floor panel. This may give you an extra inch or so of head room but would prevent forward/rearward adjustment of the seat.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Will do! Thanks again!

17. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have the same seat as you, that is seats without the ability to be easily adjusted. I posted a thread a while ago about this. The adjustment was probably something you needed to check in the list when the car was ordered.

I removed the seats and mounted the rear as low as possible and raised the front slightly. I now have plenty of head room and seating position is great.

have tried to find a adjustment solution that can be retro fitted but since there is no side mounts on the seat i haven't found any god solution. If you come up with something please post it here ;-)

18. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    PAGID recommended the RS29 until they released RSC1. I have been on RS29 since I bought the car and they work great. But I will probably change to RSC1 next time.

19. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014

yes that's exactly what i need. put the back lower and front little higher. If there is some room I'm sure my mechanic can do it easily. I don't need to adjust it often, once is enough. Iˇm happy to hear that there is a solution on this seats as this point is killing the experience.

20. Maxi_Z

Maxi_Z Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Monaco
    I used rsc1 on carbon barakes and then fitted some brembo racing steel brake kit with pagid rs29.

The rsc1 are ok but they are not giving a lot of initial bite and become glazed after some
    track use.

The pads that can be used on the std brakes on the scuderia are pagid rs19 as the rs29 should only be available for the rear and I tried them on another scuderia with ccm and they bite a lot and the disc wear it s fine.

If you want the brakes to feel much more like racing brakes that bite a lot use the rs19
    the rsc1 feel similar to std pads.

21. Kislik

Kislik Rookie

Apr 20, 2014
    yes that's exactly what I'd like but to be sure it's not too aggressive for my ccm rotors

22. Maxi_Z

Maxi_Z Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Monaco
    The front rotors of the scuderia fitted with the rs19 at around 19000km look almost perfect even after some track use.

My ccm rotors were slightly worn after using the rsc1 on the track.

If you look for older post you will read that the std pads would worn the rotors more than track pads when used agressively on the track and I think that the rsc1 are more similar to std and that means that the rotor will wear more when used with a pad that overheat or glaze than with a pad that is used in it s correct temperature range.

Maybe I was too hard on the rsc1 when bedding in but even if they don t overheat and feel like a good sport pad they really do not bite as you would expect from a racing pad.

I fitted the brembo racing steel brakes with rs29 and they brake well but the rs19 on the std
    rotor really bite the same then I did not try them on the track but would really get those if you want something that feels more racing.

Also use some good brake fluid and you can get some goodridge hoses if you want as they are the same model of the normal f430.

you could also fit carbonio paddles that are the same shape as the challenge but in carbon and they are nice for the track and some semi slick tyres.

You can get pzero trofeo r or michelin pilot sport cup 2 in std size or upgrade to 245 in the front using std rims.

Michelin pilot super sport are also a very good tyre but of course not a semi slick tyre.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just ordered up the Pagid RSC1's via iND, so I will have some impressions to post after the first track day - 5/23; pending any issues. Can't wait!

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am back from 3:rd track day this year and I am still on RS19/RS29. Completed 65 laps yesterday with zero issues :) The pads start to show some wear and I will probably have to change them soon. After the good results I have had with the RS19/RS29 I will most likely use the same combination again...

25. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    RS19 front and RS29 rear? Why?