scud... am I crazy .. Driving over 2500 miles over 4 days | FerrariChat

scud... am I crazy .. Driving over 2500 miles over 4 days

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Driving over 2500 miles in a couple of days (9 and 11 hours each way) ???

AM I crazy ???

My buddies are going on their semi-annual mountain trip from Ft. Laud., FL to Georgia. The commute is approx.. 700 miles one way up (9 hours) and then goof around and meet up with some other friends, then 800 miles or so (11 hours) back. Spend a couple of days of sightseeing driving and then head back. They are trailering their cars and a couple of guys are driving up taking their other toys (corvette) vs. their ferraris. SO…… am I crazy to drive that distance in my car. The car has a little of 17,500 miles on it (2008 ferrari scuderia) The total commute will be approx. 2500 miles.

Have any of you taken your car for a drive for that distance??? What is your impression of driving the Scud for that amount of time ???

Now the question… I have 4 herniated disks in my lower back with 2 in my neck (for a total of 6)……. Any thoughts on what I should take or place in the seat to make the ride more comfortable ???

Your thoughts ???

2. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You only live once. Tylenol 3s for the back and ear plugs for the ride! Post pics please.

3. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    wow with ur back problems I think you're nuts.

The car should be fine tho.

4. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I know .... it does sound crazy .... but will be soooo much fun...

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Put the car in soft suspension mode & make sure you are not over reaching for the steering wheel. The seats are very comfortable on long rides, you just have to setup your posture/ergonomics the right way.

E.g. You should be able to have your elbows somewhat bent when both hands are on the wheel while still being able to rest your head on the headrest.

6. dlbehrns

dlbehrns Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Don't wait to fulfill your bucket list. Just do it.

7. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    you see, I never thought of that.... PERFECT.. I always drive the car in RACE mode

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You can have the softer suspension in any manettino setting :) thanks to Michael Schumacher.

9. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    You will be fine, in the soft suspension mode the car is quite comfortable.

I would do it.

10. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thanks everyone for your thoughts !!! I had the brakes flushed and all the fluids changed last week at the dealership.... she is ready to go :)

11. pandajoe

pandajoe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Just go for it. Take some prophylactic Aleve and Tylenol and have a blast.

12. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Take pics of the trip and post !!! Sounds like a blast

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have taken my Ferraris on cross country trips for years. Some were tougher than others.... 348 after 2 hours makes my right leg numb for example.

I have taken the CS on some extended trips and I find those seats perfect. I could knock off 1000 mile days with no problem in that car. The Scud is probably similar.

Having said that, you have some disc issues that would probably be tough in an 'S' Class.

If I were you, I would go. There is one thing you can't replace and that is the memories that you will have with your 'boys trip'.

14. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I have a Scud and I enjoy driving it, and driving it a lot, but I don't really find highway trips to be the experience I want from this car.. while I don't mind driving to an event 100-200 miles away, I'd rather do a longer trip in a luxury car or SUV.

Now I do have lower miles on my car and I consider my entertainment value for mileage driven and the depreciation you get with putting miles on a Ferrari, and a 900 mile trip would personally do nothing for me.

That being said, if you don't care and really want to do it, I'm sure the car would be fine.. Your back may take a beating IMO. But like others have said... you only live once! Go for it...

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robert- Take frequent breaks during the drive. Will give your back and legs some relief. Plus it gives folks at gas stations and rest stops a chance to ogle your Scuderia.

Good advice on moving the steering wheel back for an easy reach. More NASCAR than F1 seating position for comfort on long trips.

16. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    go for it!

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Go for it, just make sure you bring lots of ibuprofen and follow up with a consult with your neurosurgeon. ;)

18. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    You know of course your car will be basically worthless after as you turn 20,000 miles.....:) Then what if it rains? The car will probably melt :)

Drive the thing. People saving them for resale or for the next guy just doesn't make sense to me. If your that worried about resale then what is the fun of owning the car? Plus if you want a lower milage car at some later point, sell your current car and bite the bullet for a newer or lower milage car.

19. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yes, go for it. Do all 60-90 minutes a break and make some gymnastic exercises for your back, your body will be glad!

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'll take the "con" side. I don't find cruising on the freeway in virtually any fast low sports car to be much, if any, fun. Then again, going triple digits in a straight line doesn't do anything for me and is dangerous both to your freedom and wallet and potentially those around you.

And, in a scud or CS it's very loud. Too loud for me to sit there for hours at 3000 rpm (or whatever).

Very low fun to pain ratio...even if you say the pain is low, the fun is virtually nil.

Now driving on back roads and mountain twisties for a day, bring it on! Much higher fun factor.

21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Honestly, 2500 miles is a lot for a Ferrari, and especially for the scud. I'd be hesitant doing this in my scud because I know what it would do in terms of depreciation. Although no one else has said it, I'm guessing many scud owners would feel the same way. If you are already at 17,500 miles, however, much of this hit has already taken effect. I don't see a big difference in a 17,500 mile car and a 20,000 mile car.

As for comfort, I could drive the car all day. The car is very comfortable as long as you are on smooth roads. Of course, I have no herniated discs.

22. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thanks everyone for the comments.....

I am not concerned with the value dropping because at the end of the day,,,, my cars always have a ton of miles and I take a bath on them. It is just a given.. and I view the ownership as an adventure, not an investment.

I bought the scud with 13,ooo (Jan 13) and sold my Ferrari 360 with 33,100 miles on it (I had that car from 06 with 4500 miles on it when I purchased it).

23. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    I have to take the "con" side also. I live in Florida and while the weather is great most of the time, driving on most roads here is not. For a good part of your trip you will be on straight flat roads. I just came back from NC and I 95 through Jax is pretty rough (construction), I was glad that I wasn't in my CS. I plan on doing a similar trip next year and will trailer my car because I don't think I'll enjoy it (and not because I'm afraid of adding miles on the car). Whatever you do post pics and let us know where you went and what are the best roads. Have fun and be safe.

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I would say go for it, if needed protect the from stone chips and maybe put blankets on the floor( friend did this in his 599 GTO and found over a 2000 mile trip the car was much quieter)

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I am also on the con side. It just wont be that much fun in that car. Roads are flat and straight and traffic is slow most of the time.