Driving in the mountains with people you do not know their driving ability | FerrariChat

Driving in the mountains with people you do not know their driving ability

Discussion in '360/430' started by RobertM, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Driving in the mountains with people you do not know their driving ability ???

I am planning on driving up to the mountains and there are a couple guys that I do not know regarding their driving ability…

So when you drive with people you don’t know or trust,,,,, do you let them stay in front of you ??? or do you stay in front of them ???

some might have exotic cars and others might not ...

2. Fatty

Fatty Karting

Jun 5, 2010
    Australia
    I let them stay way in front, but hang back a few car lengths (enough to slow down/avoid/stop).

Had an incident a while back, where a driver in the pack, road-raged another driver sticking to the speed limits. Underestimated his own driving abilities and smacked right into a hillside (showering the road with dust, rocks, earth, etc.).

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I go the other way, I leave them for dead once we get to the mountains.

After a few miles I can generally see what they are up to pretty quick. I would rather be out ahead and wait for them and if they don't make it, go back and help pick up the pieces, rather than take a chance in getting caught up in the mayhem. But that's just me.

4. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    2 interesting concepts.... the only issue I think, that being in front and them trying to keep up might be an issue when they do catch up.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. I'd rather be in a position where my gopro can catch the mayhem and laugh.. than have a nitwit rearend me.

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well keep a long distance between cars, lessens road rash and also lessens the chances of an accident, some people if there is something close behind them feel pressured to drive beyond their own capabilities and this can lead to a very dangerous situation.

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    find a race track, if you want to push the limit or compare yourself to others.

8. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    If you are the best driver there then be at the front if not I'd stay at the end. I wouldn't want to be the middle of a Ferrari sandwich.

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Driving in convoy with others is always dangerous, I'd say setting off at 2 or 3 minute intervals is best.

10. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I'd hang back.
    If you're in the front driving fast... the others will likely drive faster to catch up. Not good if they have fewer driving skills or a car that's not as ready for mountain driving.

As was said earlier, if they do catch you... what will you do, drive even faster?

I'd stay in the back and let them race off and catch up with them later.

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    +1

12. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Stay back, you don't want to be driving on public roads with people who have something to prove - sometimes it does not end well.

13. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS
    Add one more vote for starting behind those where you're not sure of driving ability and/or demeanor.

I'd also recommend covering passing etiquette when everyone meets up and before you’re in the mountains. That can help prevent both someone feeling pushed to drive beyond the level of his/her abilities as well as any frustration with slower traffic.

14. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Stay behind...a day behind.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It is my understanding that the most experienced are in the back. You all arrive together, by design.

16. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Australian Pursuit. That's taking touring to a whole new level....

17. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Too funny!

If I had genuine track experience and skill and I was very familiar with the mountain road, I would likely stay way out in front. Other than that, I am way in the back taking my time... safely.

18. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Depends on the number of cars and how much forethought goes into it.

I make an annual trip to US129 - usually in my track prepped 240Z. Sticky tires, full cage, purpose built. I push myself to 70% of my ability and keep the runs tight with only one other driver - and with pre-brief. Speed increases = so does the gap.

Larger touring groups and day events - same thing, different approach. Reiterate basics - no crossing double yellows, keep your head about you, it's fun and non competitive, maintain distance.

I've done this for years with many groups, cars, and in different parts of the country and have only seen one incident - as vrsuregen suggested - from GoPro video later in the day. Went to the dragon a few years back with some Subaru guys. About 30 seconds of watching some serious ass-hatery I broke off with another buddy and met up late in the day with the group. Lo and behold someone plowed right into the face of a mountain - but not before a solid 3-5 minutes of footage showing this guy crossing the doubles multiple times, crossing the white solid, dipping tires into the dirt, late braking, late corrections, etc. It was bad.. but he learned his lesson, got the car fixed, and is still a friend today!

Start on the track and show some common sense on the street. It can be done safely - just feel it out and talk it through - worst case, just bail and have fun alone. :)

19. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I stay in front, but I have had as others mentioned cases where people behind me drove over their ability to keep up. I solved this:
    1. Have a pre-drive meeting where you tell people that they need to drive at their ability and not crowd the people ahead
    2. Plan a midway stop (or more if a longer trip) so people can reshuffle
    3. Tell them where the midway point and end point is so they don't crowd you for fear of getting lost

20. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008

Brilliant!

21. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Like you I go to US129 at least twice a year for a couple event. I have been leading the "aggressive group" for many years now. Before each day I meet with the people that are going to be in my group and go over the basics, (no going over double yellows, blah blah blah). Two things I've started doing the pass two years that has helped my group. We all stay at the Fontana Lodge, and I have everyone one meet me early so we can sprint down to the Dam and back. This gives everyone an idea of what they're in for and allows me to get an idea of the experience level of the other drivers. The other thing I do is stress over and over again to leave your ego behind. If you feel like you're being pushed too hard jump off onto one of the "pull offs" and join the back of the pack.

In all my years of running this group I've had zero accidents and only one person get a ticket. I have had to sit down and have a serious discussion with a few people. Generally going over techniques that would help them not drive like a fool.

I've been to track events and prefer them. Like Rnye I don't drive anywhere near 100% on the roads.

Edit: Not a Ferrari driver yet. Just a lowly SLK55, but if I had a 360/430 I wouldn't change a thing. :D Be safe and have fun!