Scud Brakes Glazed Over ? | FerrariChat

Scud Brakes Glazed Over ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by slapahoe, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slapahoe

slapahoe Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    Guys,

Washed the scud with just soap and water while cold, pulled it into the garage and it sat for a month or so. Next trip out brakes making noise and severely limited stopping power. I searched all the scud braking threads and attempted the various bedding procedures for the pads as suggested. Half way through the recommended stopping sequence I pulled the car over to inspect for any wear and found the grease fitting on the front caliper leaking and flames from under the pads. needless to say I limped the car home and am taking it to the shop. Hope I haven't damaged anything. I checked the rotors for any stress cracks and all seem fine. Hope it's just a new set of pads required. Have any of you experienced similar problems? Thanks in advance..

2. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    Grease fitting??? You are likely referring to the bleeder screw- it looks like a grease Zerk fitting. If it is loose, it will puke brake fluid onto the pads/rotor and with enough heat it will ignite and burn quite well...don't ask me how I know! I would get a metric box wrench (probably a 10 or 11mm) and turn clockwise until snug...don't hog on it. While at it I would do the same at all four calipers as they all might need a snugging. You will definitely need to have your brake system purged/bled with fresh fluid. Probably will need new pads for that caliper as well. May consider doing all four corners while you are at it.

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Grease fittings? Are you referring to the caliper bleed screws?

4. slapahoe

slapahoe Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    Yes it was the caliper bleed screw that was leaking

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brake fluid makes a pretty good lubricant, as you discovered.

6. vaporhat

vaporhat Rookie

Jul 31, 2006
    How many of the rotors were covered with brake fluid?

7. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Brake fluid will also damage the paint. It is like a paint stripper. Be sure to get any possible splash cleaned up quickly.

After tightening the bleed screw as suggested, clean the screw and calipers with brake cleaner spray. Brake fluid is hydrophobic and attracts water. If not thoroughly cleaned, the parts will begin to rust or corrode.

Not exactly sure what to do about brake fluid on the CCM rotor. I would suspect that cleaning them best you can with brake cleaner spray, wiping dry, and then rebedding the brake pads should be sufficient.

8. slapahoe

slapahoe Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    Just the front left

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Suggest to look up "brake fluid hygroscopic".

10. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Did you mean to say "homophobic"?

11. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad

Oops! Autocorrect strikes again.
    Brake fluid is hygroscopic: attracts and absorbs water.

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Funny thing is that hydrophobic is a valid term, but kind of means the opposite...

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Works for rabid critters.

14. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    I did the de glazing sequence. Granted, I didn't do nearly as many runs or all the way to zero, but I did 7-8 50-60mph down to 10-15mph. I think it is better but still when I hit the brakes, the pedal feels hard and no feeling.

Is this the common feeling? I guess I should just bring her in and get checked.

15. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like hydrophilic. A strong affinity for water.