430 owners. Weird noise from front | FerrariChat

430 owners. Weird noise from front

Discussion in '360/430' started by blackbolt22, Apr 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My 07 is making a strange noise and it has been isolated to the right front wheel by my friend who walked/ran along beside car as I rolled along in a parking garage.

It is a metallic clanking noise as if aluminum is hitting against aluminum. Almost like you were hitting two pieces of aluminum together every few seconds or dragging a piece of it along on the ground and it was hitting something else. Nothing out of the norm on visual inspection. I'm not a mechanic so I haven't pulled the wheel.

It seems to be getting worse or I've become more aware and it's driving me crazy. I only hear it at very low speeds when the car is rolling . Intermittent as well. Clutch engaged or not. I have a 3 pedal. It has been there for a while. It doesn't affect anything other than being annoying. No pulling, vibration etc at speed. Braking fine.

I now remember F of Ft laud. identifying a noise from front end a couple of years ago when in for service. They didn't have time to diagnose problem. I didn't hear it at time. I was more concerned with rear noise coming from broken exhaust brackets.

I'm going to see my indy mechanic first. Anyone else had this problem?

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
  4. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    My first thoughts would be to check that you don't have anything stuck in your tyre treads. Next I would check to see if the noise goes away if the brakes are gently applied.

If both those fail, I'd be looking at the suspension.

5. Ferrari Now or Never

Jul 13, 2012
    Simi Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Linsey Orr
    Also check to be sure you don't have a small stone wedged in the brake caliper. I've had this happen occasionally and it usually results in a scraping sound until the rock either falls out or is ground away by the brake rotor.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This happens and its frequently a worn out bushing.

7. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    I had a noise--it was sway bar bushings--put some grease on them and clanking gone!

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Thanks for all input. I'm taking to my indy mechanic first thing in morning. I'll have him check the sway bar bushings. It's none of the others. Or at least I don't think so.

Will update when I find the cause.

9. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    My scud had the same problem. Same verdict as Joegnsx ;-)

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    But good of you to be alert and attend to any weird noises. Never take safety lightly.

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My guy has had it for three days now. Will check in first thing tomorrow. I told him I wasn't in any hurry.

12. guidwire

guidwire Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    Granite Bay
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Any update on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. But not good results. My indie replaced the lower sway bar/ball joints bushings something like that on both sides. I really didn't care as long as the blasted noise was gone. $700. Same effin noise persists. I'm taking it back to him in the morning.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Didn't you already have Hill Eng. ball joints? What did the sway bar links look like? Not many other things left. Arm bushings or shocks.

15. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    Just had this with my 360. It was the wheel bearing.

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes but wouldn't wheel bearing cause wheel to vibrate, pull to one direction or another, etc.? Plus it seems as if I would notice it at different speeds.

I dropped it off yesterday morning.

17. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Not sure what was done on your car but my noise was as you described. I put some grease on the sway bar between it and the bushings. 2 bolts on each side--$2 for grease--30 min work--others have done the same. Noise sounded like something much worse, but it was not! Too bad you are not closer to Tampa--we could try it on yours.

18. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

Did you need to remove the wheel to get in there? Or is it not necessary to do so?

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Ready for this? The right tire was taken off the wheel and lo and behold, a few plastic pieces were found inside.

They were part of a tire installation tool !! Can you believe it? I won't even tell you who changed the tires last time.

Now it makes perfect sense. I could only hear the sound at very low speed. Centrifigal force held the pieces against the tire at higher speeds.

My indie says the sway bar bushings were worn but were not causing the problem obviously.