Rattles after fitting Capristo 3 | FerrariChat

Rattles after fitting Capristo 3

Discussion in '360/430' started by fabo, Apr 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    After fitting Capristo stage 3 my exhaust rattles/squeaks until it warms up which is usually about 5 minutes of driving

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how can I get rid of it?

All the bolts and springs look to be secure

Thanks

2. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    fabo….

on my Capristo, heres what it was…

the can, main muffler…. sits to close to the REAR cross member and rubs against it…causin the rattle.

on mine they had to relieve the lower mount tube to allow it to go in farther to the O2 sensor. the 02 sensor would not allow it… so it had to be massaged into fitting better.

this allowed the whole exhaust system to sit with about 3/4 clearance from the rear cross member right under your deck lid latch..

the issue is… when the exhaust system heats up it EXPANDS about 1/2 inch…

i suspect yours is rattling at cold start up, and as it gets hot it expands and completely rides up against the cross member under the deck lid latch…

good luck…

drove me crazy on my Stradale… but once figured it out, and fixed, never an issue again!!

3. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    Thanks for the response

But I'm not sure if I have free same problem as you had?
    I have plenty of clearance on both sides and above the cans

Do you mean the underside clearance???

4. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Joe...

no... I meant behind the can where it is facing towards rear grille.. right under deck lid latch.

mark

5. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    hmm...I have plenty of clearance and no evidence of rubbing on the cans?

6. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have had the same experience just this last weekend in fact. I did not hear it before this weekend but I drove it the hardest that I ever have this weekend so I assume the pipes got the hottest they have since I bought it two years ago thereby expanding the metal and pushing against the cross member. Trying to decide what to do about it.

7. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    I worked out the rattle

It was the engine bay lid

When the exhaust gets hot it heats the lid which stops the rattle

Simple adjustment to the catch and WD 40 did the trick. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had to send the Capristo mounting plate to a machine shop to have the four slots elongated in the front, then cut small notches in the exhaust pipes where they slide into the cats so that when I pushed them in further, the notches would help the pipes to clear the weldments for the O2 sensors. Put it all back together and now I have over an inch clearance from the back of the can to the rear brace, so that even after fully expanding, it does not come close anymore.

9. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    Mine only rattles during cold starts - then the rattle stopped and I realized that one of the springs had fell off .....

does anyone have photos of a top view of the exhaust springs ? Mine don't seem to be perfectly straight ... does anyone else have this issue?

10. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    My guess is your installer didn't secure the bolt properly (spring shouldn't fall off) and it isn't straight because they probably didn't clean up the weld slag in the inside of where the o2 sensor is in the catalytic converter. My installer told me mine was crooked initially during installation because the pipe wouldvt slide in all the way due to weld for the o2 sensor in the pipe. He cleaned it up and my muffler is perfectly straight.

11. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Glad you got it fixed! If for any reason I could help with photos/experience for issues like these in the future, no one hesitate to reach out to me.

12. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    The exhuast tips are centered and straight on the exterior , but a top overhead view of the springs arent straight, is that supposed to be straight?