Beat the Heat | FerrariChat

Beat the Heat

Discussion in '360/430' started by ZIP22, May 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    #1 ZIP22, May 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys, I wanted to share my experience with engine bay heat soak. Like you, I'm a fellow F-Chatter, that whenever possible, always try to keep my F430 engine bonnet up after a spirited drive, or after being stuck in traffic, during city driving. We all know excessive and prolonged heat to parts, no matter how well engineered, will deteriorate their reliability faster over time. Ferrari made it a point to engineer ways to push, or extract, heat from the engine bay using the following methods:

• bonnet top vents
    • muffler vent
    • diffuser vent
    • underbody NACA ducts
    • side sill scoops

All these areas help extract heat while the car is in motion, mostly effective at speed. But in reality, we drive our cars more "off" than "on-the-track". City driving is where these passive vents start to fall short of properly cooling down the engine bay. One of the reasons why the 458 Italia was redesigned for better cooling and the use of electric fans.

I have installed the Novitec carbon fiber engine panels and carbon intake system in my 430. I noticed that the parts would literally "bake" in slow traffic and more-so after shutting down the engine. I wanted to find a proactive to way to heavily reduce the amount of excessive heat in the engine bay but also:

1. not increase weight
    2. easy to install
    3. pull heat away from the intake system, as it's near the muffler
    4. extract more heat away in slow/moderate city driving
    5. extract heat after shutting down the engine
    6. help with aerodynamic ground effects
    7. “set it and forget it” type of installation

Just for kicks, I came up with something I call the "Cool 4RaRi" system.

Credit and inspiration of the name came from the kids that live in my block that always give me the thumbs up and say "Cool Ferrari!" whenever I drive past. :)

Luckily, the part of California I live-in has been in somewhat of a heatwave the past few weeks and I've had ample time for real world testing of its functionality and reliability. And as an added bonus more seat time of driving the FCar!!! I'm proud to say that the system works flawlessly!

In testing, I observed the following:

- the OEM transmission crush box is removed in place of a high volumetric efficiency fan with similar weight (aka NO weight penalty and is lighter than the 458 Italia fan)

- one wire installation from the cabin to the engine bay

- keeps the engine bay cooler as much as 100-150+ deg Fahrenheit

- system automatically stays on for up to 15 minutes after engine shutdown

- heat is extracted up to 600 cubic feet per minute!

- the extracted heat helps increase the low pressure area at the diffuser (a quasi F1-type blown diffuser) which keeps the car more planted at high speed

- I no longer have to worry about keeping the bonnet up after parking in public places :)

Best of all, only 1-wire is routed from the engine compartment back to the cabin. And only requires a total of 4 wires to easily hook-up and get it running! A Ferrari tech, or DIY person familiar with their Ferrari, can have this system installed and running in about an hour! If anyone is interested, I have an extra set that I offered for you in the for sale section as part of the development of system. Click below:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/447520-cool-4rari-system.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Two questions:
    Will this fit a 360?
    Any install instructions?
    Thanks
    Alan

3. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    #3 ZIP22, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Alan, the system should be easily adaptable for the 360. And yes, it includes full installation instructions. It's a relatively easy to DIY that's the most effective in results!

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm interested as well.

Can you post step by step install instructions please so we can see how difficult this is to install?

Dan

5. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Nice set up.

6. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    If you know how to remove the diffuser, rear underpanel, and drivers side ecu panel then that's 95% of the install difficulty level. ;) Which isn't difficult at all. We have sold over 10 systems already and a generous 360 owner is willing to try it on his setup as well. Stay tuned!

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the 360 installation.

Thanks!

Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Any updates on this? I'm very interested.

Dan

9. Malachiman

Malachiman Karting

Apr 4, 2014
    Japan / USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ditto.. My carbon within the bay is baking!

10. einbry

einbry Rookie

May 23, 2010
    Please PM me ...I am interested in purchasing a unit for my 430

11. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    Hi Ein, PM sent. :)

For the 360 guys, thanks for your interest but we are still trying to acquire a 360 for test fitting of the system.

We just fulfilled our 50th system. Systems have gone out to many in the USA, Australia, Asia, and many parts of Europe. Thanks for everyone's support!

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the update.

Perhaps start a Group Buy?

13. nsortor12

nsortor12 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2013
    Louisville
    When it's 100% sure that it can be fitted to a 360 Spider, let me know!

I'm very interested.

14. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Count me in as a 360 buyer also!

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am interested.

16. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Received and installed. Works perfect. I can feel how much cooler the engine bay is. I love the hot air exiting quickly once the engine is turned off and cooling the bay very quickly. I can actually touch my air box and not get burnt now. I think my carbon engine panels and air box loves this fan. Install took a little less than two hours inculding the time to get it on the lift. Must have mod especially at the price. If i had to be critical the mounting tabs seem a bit flimsy. Hopefully its ok.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the update.

Question please: Is your car a 430 or 360?
    I have a 360 Spider.

Dan

18. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Seems interesting. Just wondering, would it make sense when the car is parked to have the airflow going into the engine, allowing the hotter air to be pushed up and out the challenge grills -- in the normal direction of flow? If the fan exhausts out the back, given the size of the openings in the front and rear challenge grill, I wonder how much airflow comes across the engine on a 360. If someone wants to get really ambitious, a video of the mounted fan in operation, and a single smoke source placed at different locations on the front (upper) challenge grill, showing the path of the smoke through the engine bay would be WAY cool. :)

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I wonder too if its better to push cool air towards the engine compartment, or to draw hot air away from engine compartment for more efficient cool down.

Anyone know?

20. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I would think it may be as simple as reversing the polarity on the fan hookup, my instinct says down and out, pulling cooler ambient air across the engine and away.

21. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    this is a very simple DIY project, and parts are available on Fleabay and other places. The SPAL brand fans as used in the kit above are very good. Italian actually.

Funny, Porsche had this in place in 1985, with a temp sensor on the intake. :D

22. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    911's never had an electric engine bay exhaust fan, I believe you are referring to an oil cooler fan in the front fenderwell?

23. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Had 22 Porsches. I restore classic Porsches. If you are interested in the actual model in which this invention was implemented, look at the #2 intake on a 4,7ltr S2 engine 85 and up, there is a Behr temp sensor, which simply takes the temp reading of the engine (not the air in the intake) and switches on the electrical cooling fans. This loop is also active after the car is stopped to prevent heat soaking. :D

24. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I've only had 7 911's , but can you show me where in the engine bay, other than the heater blower, this fan is located? I believe you are referring to a 928.. Sorry for the confusion, but when you say "85 Porsche" I don't think of front engine cars.