For those in the market for a red gated 360.. | FerrariChat

For those in the market for a red gated 360..

Discussion in '360/430' started by vrsurgeon, Jun 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I guess this fall in the Philly area.. bear in mind the car you're about to buy has gone through this:

I Took My Ferrari To A Drag Strip In Rural North Georgia

I recommend you price in a clutch.. in the near future.

Stoopid = Drag racing your 360.

SUPER STOOPID = Putting video of it online for the next buyer to see!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    A few runs down the 1/4 mile with a mild launch and proper shifting should not wear the clutch significantly, these cars aren't Corvette Z06's, but they're not made of glass either.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought his shifts were pretty good!

I like this guys attitude, he is having a lot of fun with his car and has the stories for a lifetime already.

Was he in Sport Mode and AST off? The launches seemed to stutter a little and I didn't see a lot of wheel spin. Is that normal?

4. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What an idiot for enjoying his car.

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The aren't exactly drag racing cars. Come to think of it; I've never seen a F car at the drag strip

6. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmm, Philly 'burbs looking for a red 6 sp. That's me!!

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just watched the video.
    Anyone who is afraid to do something like that, shouldn't own a 360. Seriously.

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    He did other horrific things to.

-Drove it on a 200 mile long drive.

-Let friends drive it.

-Put it on a dyno to see how much power it was actually putting down.

The horror.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm fine with people doing what ever they want with their cars.

I predict its on the market by years end...

I'll let those who are actually putting money on the table decide if they want their future car driven by "friends" or taken to the drag strip...

I stand by my recommendation. Esp. how this dovetails with the larger number of rebuilds reported with manual transmissions.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    If you are AST off and you hit it hard, there is nothing but smoke from the tires.

11. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Larger number o manual 360? Rebuilds....please advise

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

12. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I typically don't refer to activities that I'm fine with as "STOOPID" and "SUPER STOOPID." That's just me, though.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I do. All the time. :) Especially when its not my car. :)

14. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    The guy who wrote that story writes for Jalopnik. He bought his 360 in January and has been having a blast with it. He even drove it 500 miles home when he purchased it out of his city.
    I wouldnt blast someone for driving their car on a race track. The video was somewhat entertaining to watch and showed what a lot of people dont see or experience at race tracks... a Ferrari. Some can say why buy a Ferrari to let it just sit in a garage or meet up in a parking lot for coffee once a month?

15. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Eh?

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Doug DeMuro is also the guy who proved that his Ferrari can't pick up babes. So, keep that in mind when you weigh his analysis of the car he personally owns.

17. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Dude ran a 14.0 with it? psh.....

18. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    He claims to have missed a shift on that run, I think.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There was some really good dialog in the discussions after the entertaining article. I learned a few things and a new term...Mechanical Compassion!

..."Drag racing is an abusive sport, and has no place for "restraint" or "mechanical compassion"....

..."With a 103-106mph trapspeed he could run as quickly as 12.80's, but it would be a lot of work and might not be possible with a gated shifter. Doug's 60 ft. time is probably in the 2.2 range. Sticky tires and good launch technicque might get it into the 1.8 range. Every tenth in the 60 ft. reduction generally results in 2 tenths (combined) of the quarter mile. Four tenths off the 60 would result in 8 tenths total taking the car from a 13.6 to a 12.8 or so. "...

..."It's very hard to keep from blowing the tires off. Your 90mph trapspeed would actually drop a bit if it hooked (same thing you saw with Doug's times/mph), but that's enough for a mid to low 14. 1.8 probably couldn't happen, but 2.0 could on a decently sticky tire and that .384 x 2 =.768. 15.66-.768= would be a 14.89. Preloading the shifter when you shift can help. Running a street tire down to about 22psi can help. Going around the water and backing in can help (water from the fronts not coming off in front of the rears). Just enough burnout to get smoke coming off the tires is about right. Disconnecting the front sway helps. Looking down at the end of the track and going DEAD straight helps. Holding rpm at 3000/4000 etc. and keeping your foot steady as the clutch is quickly (but not sidestepped) released...the hood will lift and only then can you smoothly -(but quickly) apply gas pedal after the tire has hooked is a trick you can use as well. That last one requires a lot of practice."...

also in the dialog Doug mentions that he is trying to get to a proper race track and give it a go. I cant wait to see that article!

20. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    agreed :)

21. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hey guys. I know this thread is old, and I'm the jerk who is resurrecting it, but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who came to my defense here (which was everyone but the OP!).

FYI, I have done a lot of very exciting, and very interesting stuff with my car, and it has been a total blast. Owning a Ferrari has been a dream since I was a kid, and I'm happy to finally be able to fulfill it. For some background: this car was among the cleanest in the country when I bought it -- reasonably low mileage (but not undriven), 6-speed manual, very late model, with full service history, red over tan with absolutely no issues of any kind. I put some tires on it and I've put 5,000 miles on it in the last 9 months. It has fulfilled that childhood dream.

As for the way I treat the car: I've been an F-Chatter for years (longer than OP!) and I know what to do and what not to do with the car. My drag strip starts were beyond easy, as I didn't want to break anything. You can tell that from my awful quarter times. I rarely exceed 4,000 rpm, and I baby it a LOT more than I should. But I wanted to drive this car, and document the actual process of owning a Ferrari, and I think I've done that pretty well. No apologies!

For those of you who want to read more about it, here are all the columns. A few of them include videos. Go nuts! And for anyone in the Philly area who wants to meet up -- by all means, shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]). As for those who might not buy the car because I've driven it -- I probably don't want to meet you anyway... and I certainly don't want to sell you my car!!! :)

Why Yes, You Can Drive a Ferrari Every Day
    Would You Rather? Lexus LS460 vs. Ferrari 360
    Everything Is a Little More Difficult When You Have a Ferrari
    Here's Why a Used Ferrari Is a Smarter Buy Than a New Porsche 911
    I Took My Ferrari to a Dyno to See How Much Horsepower It Has
    I Took My Ferrari On a 200-Mile Mountain Run With 15 Other Exotics
    Here's Why I Let All My Friends Drive My Ferrari 360 Modena
    Sorry, Men: You Won't Attract Women Just Because You Have a Ferrari
    Here Are the Biggest Drawbacks of Owning an Exotic Car
    Would You Rather? Porsche Cayman S or Ferrari 360 Modena
    I Took My Ferrari to a Drag Strip in Rural North Georgia
    The Ferrari 360 Modena is the Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned
    Getting Gas is the Hardest Part of Owning an Exotic Car
    Here's What Happens When Two Women Drive Around in a Ferrari
    I Got Paid $1,000 to Park My Ferrari On a Movie Set
    Here's Why Philadelphia is a Terrible Place for a Ferrari
    Here's Proof that an Exotic Car Won't Melt in the Rain
    Here's Why You Should Never Drive a Ferrari in Manhattan

psych0hans likes this.
  22. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I see no problem with this either on a manual car. On an F1 transmission, however, it'd be a dfferent story.

23. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and stories with us, we all could do with a little more light heartedness, these cars are meant to be enjoyed and shared with others. Keep up the good work and humor!

psych0hans likes this.
  24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Booo hooo hooo.

The mean OP called you out on your "year long project". So I take it you're selling it now?
    Hmmm.. OP didn't predict that.

As I said.. the buyer will make the determination on the "celebrity ownership" and its being a famous car and all.

Perhaps you can make a video of it?

25. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hey Curt. There's no need to get nasty!! I really like this forum, largely because unlike other forums (cough BMW M3 cough) I've always found that owners here tend to really help out one another. I'm sorry if you're offended by what I've done with the car; I really didn't plan on keeping it parked in the garage. I bought it to enjoy, and I've enjoyed it. If I lose money because of it, so be it. I recognized that risk when I bought the car, and the enjoyment I've had will more than make up for any financial hit.

I see that you live in my favorite city in the world -- I bet we have more in common than you think. Send me an e-mail! We can sit down the next time I'm in Charleston. My treat. But maybe we'll go somewhere cheap after all the money I lose on the Ferrari. :)

carguyjohn350 likes this.