360 crash at Mulholland | FerrariChat

360 crash at Mulholland

Discussion in '360/430' started by TopspeedPT, Jun 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrkFYA52cwc]Brutal: Ferrari Crashes & Tumbles Down Steep Enbankment - YouTube[/ame]

Good everyone was ok.

2. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
  3. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Wow. Was the driver or passenger (if there was one) seriously injured? Amazing that someone was there recording that.

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    A few panels to beat back into shape, new blue paint job with a refurbished Bordeaux interior...and it will be on E-bay with a nice clean title. ;)

5. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    OMG. The driver and passenger are SUPER lucky to get away with minor injuries. Thank you for posting this. There is a lesson to be learned. Lets hope we all can benfit from it.

6. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    I have met the driver of this car I believe he is from the UK.

7. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Wonder why he made that hard right instead of going straight. Guess he was pretty excited about getting down that hill.

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #8 bisel, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    It appears that the Ferrari driver was not expecting to see the vehicle heading uphill. The Ferrari driver was likely in the left lane (his left) setting up for the next right hand curve. To avoid hitting the SUV, the Ferrari veered right, the rear end kicked out and he headed straight over the embankment.

Appears that the air bag(s) did not deploy, so am guessing that no one injured. I certainly hope so. It did not look like there was any impact ... just a roll over on to the roof. If the passenger(s) were belted in, they should be OK. According to comments on YouTube, vehicle occupants sustained only minor injuries.

I think the root cause of this accident is a serious case of testosterone poisoning. Obviously, the person recording the incident wasn't just there by coincidence. I expect the driver (and maybe the person recording this) were doing this to preserve for posterity how cool they are. Mulholland Drive is notorious for attracting people who act like idiots. Perhaps this driver might reevaluate his driving skills rather than think that just affording a Ferrari makes you a good driver.

I wonder if he was cited for reckless driving. He should be.

Steve

9. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When did this happen??

10. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    That'll buff out

11. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Good thing that wasn't a Spider, things might have been worse. There must be some alien force field around that area that alters normal physics, I see so many bikes & cars doing the craziest (bad) things.

Oh well, at least the car wasn't damaged too bad, some bondo & paint and it'll be good as new.

12. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Wow - glad they're ok. Drive safe everyone!

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like there is a good reason for those roll-over shut off valves. The slide down the hill on the roof had to be exciting.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There are just cameras everywhere, ready to document every act of stupidity you may perform.

Glad everyone was OK. Looks like the car is a good parts car.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I came close to that on a bike, the hill looks like its going up but really is going downhill. It's an illusion, quite a few up that way.
    I seen a picture of a car parked on the hill that looked like it was going up and they let off the brake and it rolled backwards,
    Reverse camber nothing LOL

This is what it looks like, this is NOT the canyons

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PXzpgGQ7T4[/ame]

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "Car was involved in a minor parking lot ding. Airbag did not deploy. Otherwise in mint condition!"

Glad everyone was OK... Looks like he overcompensated for the car in the other lane. Stupid decision on a public road IMHO. I like the guy in the last 15 seconds "lady pulled out"..

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Looks like they are still on the "gas" while on the dirt....

18. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was going to say the same thing. It was still shooting up a bit of a rooster tail in the dirt.

19. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Wasn't someone on here looking for some 360 starfish rims?
    Look alike a set will be coming on the market shortly.

I posit that the guy was just trying to take the shortcut through the woods to the lower switchback road and found out that the city had cut a deeper trench shoulder than what he remembered the last time he did it. So it's the city's fault!

20. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    thank god it wasn't a CS, thought it was at first...

21. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Terrible accident! While this driver was most likely showing off his formerly beautiful 360, it also begs for another good case for having new (newer) tires on a car. Too many owners make the mistake of hanging on with old tires that look fine to the naked eye, but are actually 6-10 year old tires on low mileage cars that cannot handle the performance characteristics of these supercars. Tires degrade over time, temperature changes, humidity changes, (hot-cold-hot-cold...you get it), and pollution making them incapable of performing anywhere near specs. Don't make that mistake...spend the extra money. It may ultimately save your car, your life and the life of other people.

22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He's very lucky to cut through a clear path. If there were trees it would have been a different outcome.

23. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The guy recording was probably just car watching. On the weekends down here in SD, photographers will stake out various corners on Mt. Palomar to shoot whatever drives by.

I wonder if that car was a 6spd, though. I need a new shift lever as the metal gate has started to notch mine.....

24. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in need of an undertray. The vultures are circling! :)

25. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He doesn't own a jag too by chance?