F1 Actuator Rebuild | FerrariChat

F1 Actuator Rebuild

Discussion in '360/430' started by tazandjan, Jun 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In addition to Ferrari of Seattle, Serkan of GTE Engineering is also rebuilding actuators. Less than $3K, so much cheaper than a new one.

Serkan Ozsacasci
    GTE Engineering LLC
    561 NE 26th Ct
    Pompano Beach, 33064 FL
    USA
    Home
    E-Mail [email protected]
    TEL 1 (754) 205 0812 M-F 9am|5pm

2. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    What would the new one runs, Terry? $$$$

3. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    What are the symptoms of failing F1 actuator?

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's awesome news, thanks for posting Taz.

5. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    gear falling to neutral when running, usually related to one gear only (exempl. 5 to 6 or 4 to 3) but F430 has problems with actuator screws letting air into the system causing very similar symptoms

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- About $7K and the same one fits the 360, F430, 575M and Enzo. Last price I saw including a new F1 battery was about $2600 for a repair, so about 1/3 cost of a new one.

Ronnie- Unfortunately, the symptoms of an acuator problem can be the same as many other F1 and clutch problems, but the one mentioned by our Swiss friend is a definite pointer. Neutral is the F1 system's safety net and many things will cause the system to select neutral. Mine just did it yesterday and the cause was a loose connector on a shift solenoid, to my and my techs great relief, since they have no SD2.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    $7K? Ricambi has it for $16K!

8. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    You guys are lucky to have Serkan over there. I have been corresponding with him and he seems to know what he's doing.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dino- Yes, you are correct. I priced the power unit and not the actuators, which run in the teens, and are different for the different models. So $2600 vs $13-17K is quite a difference.

Incidentally, someone asked about what goes wrong with actuators. Leaks seem to be one of the main problems.

Voicey- Serkan seems like a very nice guy and very competent.

10. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    My 08 Scud shifted to neutral while trying to upshift or downshift 4 times in last two days. When I shifted again once it went to neutral, it shifted properly. Except for those 4 times, it shifts normally. Could this be an actuator problem? My clutch wear 2,000 mi ago was 43% remaining. Thanks!

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We cannot diagnose that on the internet and hopefully the actuator is not your problem. You need to get your tech to hook her up to an SD3. With luck, it is just air in the system and she just needs to be bled.

12. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    Thanks! Taking it in tomorrow.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent info. Thanks Taz!

Dan

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You could have a leaky actuator but not enough of a leak for it to be forming a puddle on the garage floor. I just went through this and that's what my issue was. BUT....not the end of the world. Though the recommendation of Taz, I had my actuator pulled and send to GTE Engineering and Serkan rebuilt mine. It is now better than new. Problem solved for 1/4 of the price. Let us know how you make out. Hopefully your issue is something minor.

Taz...did you ever speak to Serkan at GTE about the 4P update he did on mine?

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great info as usual Taz! :)

I actually asked on this forum a few years ago to have an old 360 or 430 actuator to look at, to see if I could actually rebuild it.

One member just had his local dealer fit a new one to his 430. I asked for his old one and he said he would rather keep it. Lol, a leaking F1 gear actuator! Lol, no worries man. I even offered to buy it and pay for shipping of course, but he was not interested.

We rebuild this sort of thing all the time at my line of work and it would have been nice to see if could be done.

If anyone has one they want to send me so I can take a look at it that would be much appreciated. I will cover all shipping costs of course.

Hope all has been well Taz! All good here in the land of Pap! :D

16. petretta

petretta Karting

Mar 5, 2010
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    DP
    This seems to be a common issue with the F430, however for some reason there is no general consensus as to what the cause is. After much help from the F Chat community I was able to walk my dealer through some of the remedies, but at the end of the day, after lots of time, energy and money, the ultimate fix for my specific situation was quite simple. Everybody talks about repairing or replacing the actuator or F1 pump but the Accumulator is what ended up being the cause of the lack of build up of pressure in the F1 system. Had we tried this immediately I would have saved some $$$. The price of the part itself is $1,506 CDN. I hope you find this information helpful.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Have been gone for two weeks so not yet.

Pap- Good to hear from you. Things are good here. There is another guy rebuilding actuators for F of Seattle, so cannot be that difficult. Just relatively simple hydraulics.

P- Does a bad accumulator show on the SD?

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very useful information indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

19. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    Hooked it up to SD3 today. Clutch wear was at 48%, and did have something like "clutch shifting into wrong gear" and another one that I cannot recall right now. My mechanic said both were due to an actuator. He suggested changing fluids & bleeding all air out to see if it fixes the problem. If that doesn't fix it, he is recommending replacing an actuator with a rebuilt one. I am wondering if it would be better to rebuild my current actuator or just replace it with a used one, if it needs replacement. He thinks rebuilt actuators cost about $3,500, and comes with a warranty?

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Rebuild your own. $2600 with GTE engineering. Email Serkan Ozsavasci. [email protected]. Service is second to none and turn around time is quick so you won't be without your fcar for long. GTE will give you a one year warranty but he made it clear to me that he stands behind his work so warranty probably good for longer.

Btw...Ask your mechanic if your actuator was leaking. That is the tell tale sign that it is failing. Could be something else but that was the issue with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. petretta

petretta Karting

Mar 5, 2010
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    DP
    Prior to changing the accumulator they could not clear the "pump error" even after changing the pump the "self-learn" was failing ..... Hard Fault for Self Learn not Executed...... after installing the accumulator the errors cleared and shifting resumed to normal.

22. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    This sounds like the cheap solution that not many have tried!

23. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Don't be too quick to blame the Actuator. There are many fail points that can cause these issues. Incidentally, an external leak doesn't mean the actuator is shot. The usual fail mode is internal seal wear, usually on the rearmost cylinder. It's pressure that leaks internally, not oil. I wonder how many have already been rebuilt unnecessarily?

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Biggest cause of a self learn failure is a low battery. Run the car for a while or put a charger on it and bingo.....now it passes.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eddie- Trouble is most owners have to go with what their techs are telling them and getting a second opinion is not always possible. Plus it chaps off your tech if you do get a second opinion.

At least rebuilding is cheaper than a new actuator and it also guarantees a fluid change and bleed along with an F1 self learn. The latter alone cures many problems.