S-Line X-Pipe + Capristo Headers on a Scud | FerrariChat

S-Line X-Pipe + Capristo Headers on a Scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by Darth_Homer, Jul 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I just installed my X-Pipe exhaust on my F430 Scuderia, amazing sound I must say! Right now I'm kinda thinking of getting a Capristo headers since I saw the OEM Scud headers... (very restricted fro me) Did anyone here change their headers and using the S-line X-pipe like mine? I'm worried its gonna be too loud and destroy the high pitch F1 sound I have right now.. or it'll be way better since its not restricted anymore and of course better flow/performance.

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #2 Russell996, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

I would think the pitch would actually go up, fitting Capristo headers to a Capristo cat and muffler set up gives a higher pitch than stock headers. Capristo headers are optimised to reduce exhaust back pressure from colliding exhaust flow pulses from the separate exhaust ports on the engine. They are made of thicker AND of much higher quality grade 309 stainless. They will give a 430 Scud a very definite increase in BHP (and also give a nicer higher-pitched sound). This is because they have been backpressure optimised - i.e exhaust pulses from the individual exhaust ports in the engine do NOT collide with each other because of the length and shape of the manifold tubing - as a result the engine breathes MUCH more freely as the revs climb. They make the engine bay run cooler which is essential for hardcore track use.
    They'll never need to be replaced again (they are under a lifetime warranty).

3. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Even Fabspeed's 4>1 Headers will INCREASE the pitch of the exhaust (Contrary to popular belief), though the loudness should not be too much more when switching to an aftermarket header from the Scud's OEM set because the Scud never had cats in the headers to begin with. The 4>1 Headers provide a nice increase in torque as well.

Russell is absolutely right, the headers alone will be a great addition for performance, reliability and function. The sportcats are what hold a lot of the potential with the F430. I was able to achieve 503 RWHP with 100 Octane ;)

4. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Very nice explanation you did Russell! Thats what I was also thinking, that it would give a higher pitch sound after the headers... Im just curious if someone here already did that combo to a scud. Im sure the sound will be really wilder and more amazing as it already is :)

5. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    WOW!!! 503whp on a scud?? I think I saw your youtube video, is that the dark grey scud with italian stripes? Very nice sound ;-)

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, that's a huge increase. Nearly 600 bhp at the crank? What are the whp/tq numbers on regular premium gas? Do you have charts you can post? You guys have a 3-way valve control option too, right? Referring to OEM, always open, always closed.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #7 freshmeat, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    I went w 4-1 headers and 100cel race cats w my s-like exhaust as per a Ferrari engineer's recommendation to keep some level of back pressure.

Why 4-1 and not Capristo's 4-2-1? I wanted to enhance my car in the spirit of the pre-v6-turbo high-revving-high-pitched NA Ferrari Formula1 cars that all ran a 4-1 configuration.

I also have Capristo kevlar blankets, upgraded GruppeM intake & ECU/TCU tune. I love the tune, it's the only of its kind that is plug n play via obd and doesn't need to be hard lined to be returned to stock settings. You can flip it on or off at will and like all my other mods, is 100% non-invasive and reversible.

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/10499139_727044347358016_1956957871_n.jpg

I'm eager to race a fully-tuned 458 equivalent soon to see how the old pos holds up. will post up a vid once it happens.

8. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Sounds a nice setup you have there! What brand are your headers? do I need to tune the ecu if I changed mine into 100 cats? I dont want any CEL on the car... Im very curious about the sound of your scud... louder with the 4-1 headers? or just higher pitch on the high rpms?

9. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    Feel free to call us with any questions...

Thanks
    Erik Krammer

10. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    It's joe Fabiani at fabspeed Motorsports USA. I personally engineered and dyno developed all the Ferrari headers and tested back to back 4 into 1 versus 4 into 2 into 1 and 4 into 1 one fabspeed headers make more power torque and horsepower that 4 into 2 into 1 .

More facts Ferrari designed and installed 4 into 1 headers optimized for all late model 360, 430, 458, and California cars. I made many versions of 4 into 1 and 4 into 2 into 1 headers for Ferraris and the 4 into 1 headers always made more power and were much simpler to install and gave a lot more clearance to the header flange bolts and exhaust gas re circulation ports. Bottom line the sportscar sound and power were significant on 4 into 1 headers.

Given all the above there was absolutely no reason for fabspeed Motorsport to make 4 into 2 into 1 headers other than for vanity purposes , product differentiation, and to over complicate and defeat sports car sound and power that we found over 10 years ago. Many years ago Capristo Germany called me to become one of my dealers to resell fabspeed Motorsport Ferrari headers. It's a small world.

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Sound is louder and will be regardless of whether you go 4-1 or 4-2-1 because there is greater airflow.

Yes, a tune will be needed if you run less restrictive cats.

Definitely enhanced the high pitched nature of the s-line exhaust.

Time to race a full ipe f1 458 w EvoMS tune to see where i stand in the realm of straight line performance =)

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Joe, just to correct your 'fact' (I'm sure you know this), the Ferrari designed headers for the 430 Scuderia are 4-2-1!

13. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    louder meaning better sound and higher pitch right?

Im peaning towards the Capristo headers, but the oem cats are fine for me. :)

14. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Well guys, I just got a pair of Capristo headers! :) Denis of Ricambi gave me a good deal for it and also convinced me to get the Capristo... Will be getting it before aug15, can't wait to hear it rev with my S-line X-pipe :)

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    The higher airflow from the headers will dramatically reduce the lifespan of your oem cats because they were not built to handle that kind of volume of airflow, or so I was told.

I also highly recommend getting the kevlar blankets.

16. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Oh really? but then I don't want to have CEL problems since I don't want to flash my ECU. I was told if I changed the oem cats into 100cell cats, there will be CEL problems.

17. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is someone from Capristo or Fabspeed willing to post pump gas dyno charts of their systems here? Subjective impressions of sound and quoted peak numbers are fine, but I would like to see the increases across the rev range before buying such an expensive exhaust system.

18. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

Stef posted full dyno charts for Capristo headers, probably still on here or else they are on FL for sure.

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Thats why a tune is required.

It's like upgrading your suspension but running bald tires...you kinda need the whole package to harness the benefits....

20. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

+1

21. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    What company can make them for me? I'm not from US, so I need to send my ECU to them right?

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No, ECU stays with the car. Everything can be uploaded remotely via OBD, plug n play. Only tune of its kind that I know of.

I learned of this tune from the UK/Euro exotic owners, some of which have been the winners of Gumball for the last few years.

Zeus Flash Specs | Zeus Flash

23. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks! Emailed them already... no problems on the car after the tune? Good power gains?

24. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Curious where your source was from for the comment made about the reducing of lifespan on the OEM cats.

I'm only asking because I will most likely do a header mod next and don't want to have one part compromise another.

25. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    I'm interested by this mod but I don't understand how they can optimize the power/torque after changing the headers and the exhaust, without measuring stuffs on a car with these mods. It's like shooting in the dark, no?