Slow Down | FerrariChat

Slow Down

Discussion in '360/430' started by spikes360, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm getting real tired of this "Slow Down" light coming on! I just don't get it. I could be traveling at a nice easy 70-80 mph pace and it comes on, then goes off. Or like this morning as I started her up it came on then went off - in seconds. But as I was going to work it stayed on and didn't go off. I finally pulled over and shut her down for a minute or so. Started her up and all was fine. I recently had the 30k major and a clutch replaced. Think this is just a bad sensor? It has been doing this since I bought the car a year ago.
    Its almost like theres someone back there just screwin with me!

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pretty much the same symptoms on mine last year. The key for the dealer to diagnose was that the light came on when the car started. So there was no way it was cat overheating. My problem was the cat ECU's. Replaced them and no more slow down light.
    Folks more knowledgeable can chime in.

3. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just had my cat ECU's replaced for the same reason too...

4. Toolie

Toolie Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Houston,TX
    Does you bank shut down? Limp mode? Mine does and It's freaking annoying can't seem to resolve it. Let me know how you make out..

Thanks

5. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There ECU's for the cats? Or are you referring to the two engine ECU's?

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Vesicovini boxes.. Where the thermocouple from the cat plugs into under the engine cover panels

7. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ah, right on. thx!

8. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    The purpose of the "slow down" is to keep engine damage from happening when the cats get too hot and start to plug up. Catalytic converters are not really much of an issue with todays engine management systems like it was on the earlier cars, Ferrari and everyone else really fought the problems with emission requirements post 1975 with the introduction of thermal reactors and then converters on the carbureted engines from that time, that is where this function originated. With the 360/430 having the slowdown fault, it is more than likely the control unit that is failing, not actually a problem with your converters.

9. fiat

fiat Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    graziano
    if your cats have been removed the car will throw a slow down light randomly, nothing will work to eliminate it, unless you build the little devices that ferrari chat subscriber ( jevs) has on his ferrari 355 chat link. built two of them for my 360, yes they do work for the 360. no more sdl for over a year. they are simple to build. if your ferrari still has the cats then your problem is something else.

10. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm getting that on mine too. Same exact situatuon except on startup. So enoying. It's in the shop now getting resolved. My guy thinks it may be a carbon buildup on a valve, not letting the valve fully close and then dropping unburned gas into the cat thus triggering the light. I think it's a sensor/ecu issue. Just had my 30k done too....However only 14 milage on it.

11. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes it does go into limp mode on occasion. Yesterday when I first started it (after the OK light) almost immediately the SDL came on then went off. I let it warm up and then it flashed on then off. All was ok for a few miles then it cam on and so did the limp. went like that for about a mile I then decided to pull off and shut down. I actually got out of the car locked it up and went through my starting procedure. All was fine all the way to work. After work all was fine to home. I didn't start it today. I'm wondering if its a loose wire or connector.

12. Toolie

Toolie Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Houston,TX
    My slow down shut down issue has been resolved and passed emissions. Tested over 100 miles, so far it's running solid. It was loose connection on the drivers side cat ecu!

13. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the update Toolie. Just had my CS flatbedded to the dealer for the same issues. Intermittent "Slow Down" light, P0438/P1454, and shutting down of drivers side (bank 2). Will see what the dealer says next week. Seems like a lot of owners having this issue lately.

14. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jim, what was the conclusion with your problem? I had the blinking SDL come on this morning and it wouldn't go off. Shut down a bank then it started it up almost launching me into the car in front! Then it shut down went off lit up - what a friggin PITA!

15. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    two cat ecu's replaced, all is well.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The ECUs are computers. They reside in a hot engine compartment. No reason to think a computer would fail by reason of heat, eh?

When I first got my 360, it already had around 15k miles. It ran fine and passed the PPI with flying colors. But run the car hard, and the Slow Down light would flash. No codes. Eventually figured out it was CAT ECUs. First one, then the other.

There was a design change, I think, so the replacements are the new models. But I'm not kidding myself into thinking they will last forever in that oven.

17. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Funny thing though is that the engine was cold sitting for a week or so. When I started it up it began to flash. Then for 5 miles to work it went off/on/off etc. When I left work at lunch all was ok.

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

It was probably past exposure that did them in.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1

20. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm curious by what you mean by "...past exposure"? Because everytime I start it up the SDL comes on only after it sits for about a week. I had this same problem this weekend. Started it and the light comes on/off. Drove a few miles then shut it off, restart and it never came on the rest of the day.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The ECU's can get water into them with the heat causing the insulation to crack.

Did you replace one or both of them yet? It's going to be the ECU or the thermocouple that's gone bad. If you're getting a check engine light then its going to be P1445 or P1449..

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Past exposure means just that. Unless you never run your car to operating temperatures or ever wash it, it will have been exposed to heat and wet cycles during prior driving, which could compromise one or both ECUs or thermocouples. The defects are then currently manifest in the behaviors you see.

23. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    He means that prior bake/cool cycles of the electronics have rendered them of questionable functionality. Could be something as simple as a PCB copper trace that cracked due to heat, then remains open until heated back up again. Or similar, inside a silicon device on the board...

24. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Replace the cat ecus. Easy diy. They are like 370 each from ricambi. One on each h side under the big engine panels. Plug and play. I siliconed the tops with high temp silicone.

Did everything to fix the issue then finally broke down and replaced the ecus and seemed to fix the problem.