Scuderia or Ford GT | FerrariChat

Scuderia or Ford GT

Discussion in '360/430' started by chinesejpl, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    I'm looking to replace my 430 and am contemplating getting either a scuderia or Ford GT. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. I'd especially appreciate hearing from those that own or have owned both. I'm looking for a leisure car to excite me each time I drive it with occasional yearly track days. I out on about 4000kms on my car yearly.

Thanks.

2. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    GT no doubt

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Find a GT at a good price, looks like money in the bank.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

gt will certainly give you a different ownership experience...very cool car too!!

5. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #5 alexkam, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GT all the way. The Scuds come and go, the GT is here to stay. The GT is way more exciting to own, more comfortable to drive, an oil change can be done at your local Ford store. The GT gets tons of love everywhere it goes. It has the potential to go up alot more than a Scud. Prices have steadily risen for the past couple of years and have cooled off lately, but I'm sure they'll continue to go up over time. It's an amazing car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I vote Scud. Never driven a GT and haven't followed the market so this is an uninformed opinion but I do know how great the Scud is to drive on road and track. GT always looks too big for our little British B roads! ;)

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The smart play is the GT. If you decide down the road that you want the scud there will be less downside potential with the GT. If you go scud first then you may experience more depreciation.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 MaranelloDave, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Do we really know that the GT is a smart investment? When something (stock, painting, etc.) shoots up in value, you have to wonder if you missed the boat and now is not the best time to buy. If we're considering these cars as an investment only, wouldn't the smart money be on buying a car that appears to be bottoming out and has not yet appreciated? Not saying this is happening to the scud, but the CS has begun to appreciate and I'm guessing the scud will as well one of these days.

Aside from the investment side, don't forget that a GT costs a helluva lot more than a Scud. So, it's not like these are two equivalent options.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dave you may be onto something but the GT appeals to my sensible side. Alex above is really doing it right IMO!

10. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    GT no doubt. Aren't they a lot more money than a Scud right now?

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No argument here. Best solution: buy both! The GT is an awesome car.

12. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    There's about a 30-50K premium over the current Scud pricing, depending on the Scud.

As a former owner the GT is a GREAT car, and as ALEXKAM said, it's very streetable, easy to maintain and modify if you're into that. Mine was modified with larger supercharger, full exhaust, fuel upgrades, larger oil cooler, halon system and other little things and made 770 hp at the wheels and still met the aforementioned criteria.

13. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Scud is a good car, GT is a GREAT car..

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    May I propose of F Chat tour of Alex's garage? Well done! WOW!!!!

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Drove both back-to-back.....honestly, liked the Scuderia much better. More of a sense of excitement, more connected, more tossable, better sounds. Made every other Ferrari I drove from then on a moot point.

The GT felt more numb and subdued.

Obviously the value and modability edge go to the GT. Also is better looking outside.

16. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    #16 ttn27, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1. The Scud is definitely a better track car (more fun, more visceral and definitely sounds much better). The FGT has significantly appreciated and will continue to increase in value in the future. Also, in terms of maintenance, it is cheaper to maintain the FGT. However, you would not want to modify the car if you plan to sell it in the future.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I love Fords and Ferraris, they are my two favorite marques. You can't go 'wrong' buying one or the other.

However, if I had the chance to get a Ford GT I would jump on that before a Scuderia. The Scuderia is a great race car for the street. It's better than a Porsche GT3 but they are kinda comparable. But the Ford GT is just a special car that is kinda its own thing and it has the intangibles that go with being unique.

Unless you are looking for a track car first, the Ford GT would be my choice.

18. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The scud is a good value right now, the GT is floating on a bit of a bubble IMO.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I sure like my SCUD i do not think I would be willing to trade for a Ford GT .. and I also like the GT but the SCUD is just so perfect to drive it sounds incredible ...the interior is much more exciting then the GT but with the GT the exterior is killer (most classic design ever)
    but you will probably make money with a GT and lose money with the Scud. or will you..
    DO not quite get why the GT has been selling for what it has of course it seems like most of them have no miles and that is probably part of the price thing...

20. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    This forum is awesome. I thought there'd be a bias to the scud but the reverse is true. Ttn227,i love the heritage gt... that's what I want to get. There is a price difference between the scud and a gt, especially the heritage one. How does the gt sound? One of the big reasons I was turned off on the Mac 12c was the lack of excitement and sound. I assume the gt isn't like this. I'll have to go see if I can track down a gt in person to helpme with my decision .

21. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    This forum is awesome. I thought there'd be a bias to the scud but the reverse is true. Ttn227,i love the heritage gt... that's what I want to get. There is a price difference between the scud and a gt, especially the heritage one. How does the gt sound? One of the big reasons I was turned off on the Mac 12c was the lack of excitement and sound. I assume the gt isn't like this. I'll have to go see if I can track down a gt in person to helpme with my decision .

22. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    Scud is a better track car thats for sure :) the sound and driving factor is really amazing! If you want the value and higher HP then go for a GT.. I went for the Scud, but of course thats just me... the important thing is you're happy with your car :) Good luck!

23. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My GT has the Ford racing exhaust and it sounds awesome! Best sound i've heard come out of a Ford or a Ferrari Now I'm a little bias here, growing up driving mostly Fords the GT was a dream car when it came out. The Scud is a phenonimal car. No question. but for my own style the Ford suits me and it just feels right. No affiliation here; there's a red 2006 GT on eBay also in Canada with no reserve. It's at 190 with a bid, it has a few miles 20k or so but at the 200k or below mark it's the lowest priced one i've seen in a while. Looks like a nice car. I know GT owners with 100k miles + and no issues!
    All the best!

24. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    Alex, thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find the car you are referring to on eBay. There is a red one from thunder Bay, Ontario asking $219k. Anybody else know of a nice gt for sale?

25. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ford Ford GT Coupe 2D | eBay

This is the GT I was referring to, Looks like they changed the auction format, it started off with no reserve. I'm sorry I got this one mixed up with the one in Canada, this car is in Michigan.