Spider Top Up or Down when parked in garage | FerrariChat

Spider Top Up or Down when parked in garage

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jeffs360spider, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    Does it matter if the top is left up or down when parked in my garage? As I am only driving the car in nice weather, does it matter if the top is left down throughout the summer? Does it make a difference better or worse for the hydraulics and other parts either way?

2. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have 2002 spider and leave the top both up and down. I use mine daily but I think to leave the top up or down for any length of time is not good. The fluid need to circulate and the fabric need to not be stretched all the time.

3. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I don't know if Ferrari addresses this or not. However, my late model Alfa Spider had a very similar top and the owners manual was quite adamant that the top MUST be up when the car was left parked for any length of time.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

That's what I do. The worry is that if not up, the top material shrinks and takes on permanent wrinkles. The plastic window also gets creased. I'm sure the top has a finite number of cycles but don't know how many. I also think it good to cycle it now and then to keep the fluid circulated and the seals wet.

5. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Leave it up, it will crease up otherwise

6. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    Ok... so there seems to be a consensus to leave the top up when not in use. Do you guys believe this means to put the top up at the end of every day of usage, or to not leave it down for more than a few days or week or some other time frame?

7. paobingdayuan

paobingdayuan Rookie

May 2, 2009
    My Porsche owner's manual also says not to leave the top down for extended period of time. My understanding is whenever possible after the drive, the top should be up.....it is the fabric material of the top that needs to be put in shape most of the time. Porsche use electric motor to operate the top and there is no fluid involved.

8. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I left mine up during my ownership when it wasn't being used - mainly to keep the fabric from getting creased.

9. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Will get back to you on this one. My top is broken at this time and has been down for 10 days know.

10. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Spyder has a top?
    Learn something new every day!

11. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    Keep it up the elastics are stretched and wearing --- Keep it down you get creases ... Decisions decisions

12. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I leave my car parked with the top up, in the closed position. I've always done this with my convertibles.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Up, prevents creases and dust in the interior.

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Up, up, up.

16. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Definitely up.

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yup...Up!

18. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mine is stored up but spends most of the summer down under a car cover. You can steam out the creases anytime if a problem.

19. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    My 08 430 manual says up if car parked for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Always put the top if it's going to be more than a couple days. The tops definitely crease, shrink, and the fabric gets a memory.

21. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    360 Owners Manual admonishes against leaving the top down for "extended periods of time" as it may develop creases which could impair operation. My recently purchased '04 had been for sale for six months with the top down the entire time. Couple of heavy creases and the top operation was very jerky at first, then improved after several days with it up in the garage. Rear window has a crease which will not go away. My gut feel is a few days and you're OK, but if it stretches into weeks, better to close it. We close it routinely as we live in a rural area with a lot of animals, and the dust is amazing, even with the car garaged.

22. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Always up when not in use.

23. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    How do you "steam" out creases??

24. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Portable steamer like what you use to take out wrinkles fron clothes on a hanger.

25. DCB1

DCB1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Just bought a 2001 Spider from Earth Motor cars in Texas. Owner Arthur was very clear to keep the top up when parked for any amount of time. Top will shrink and crease. Arthur was also very clear to let the car run for a few minutes before operating the top. Must let the hydraulic fluid circulate and everything warm a bit or problems will occur.