What can I get for 70K? | FerrariChat

What can I get for 70K?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ForsytheFotographyHouston, Jul 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForsytheFotographyHouston

BANNED

Apr 2, 2012
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Eric Forsythe
    Ok folks, I am the previous owner of a 94 348TS Challenge car. I did everything to it, the right way, to make it mechanically perfect... However, I sold it when I was angry and frustrated at the fact that it sat for two months because I could not find a replacement MAF sensor... Not because of the price mind you.. But because of the scarcity of the part.. I put it up, sold in two days.
    Now, I replaced my beloved Ferrari with a 2008 Porsche Twin Turbo Cabriolet 6 Speed. It is a dang near perfect car.. Reliable, pretty, fast enough to scare me, and ice cold air conditioning...
    AND... I miss owning a Ferrari...
    So, Tell me good people, Can I get a really nice, serviced, 6 speed 360 for 70k or not? I can’t go back to the 348 because of the parts trauma I have gone through. The 355 is the best looking in my price range but the idea of the F1 trans makes me break out in a cold sweat..The 430 is just too much money for me right now... So the 360 seems to be my goal. any thoughts or suggestions appreciated..

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are a couple of nice cars in that range. You won't likely get low miles or perfect condition & records. You also won't get to be too picky about color and option set. BUT, you can find a nice car for that price.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ? If you like the 355, get one, they came in 6 speed as well. There's overlap with the 360 at that price point, but you'll get a nicer 355 for 70k than you will a 360. Much greater selection of 360's out there, though, so if you're open to both then get the one that stirs your soul first.

4. Mallick_1984

Mallick_1984 Rookie

Apr 23, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Abhishek Mallick
    I bought my Modena, a couple of months back, and during my search I was presented with many decent 360 Coupes in around 70-74K $ range. From my experience,

1. You probably wont get a spider, so Coupes are your best bet.
    2. Rosso Corsa sells for a premium, so maybe that's out.
    3. Manual vs F1, more F1's available than manual, so finding a manual which meets all your criteria could prove to be difficult.
    4. Car will likely have high mileage, 22-30K range.
    5. Not in perfect condition in terms of exterior/interior (rock chips, bolster wear, dash shrinking), missing keys/fobs, manuals/cover/toolkit and finally maintenance records.
    6. Mechanically, the car could be perfect, in fact in some cases, better than a low mileage car.
    7. Some desirable options may be missing as Shields or Challenge Grills.
    8. Euro car in perfect condition will also meet your price criteria.

Now having said that, may I humbly suggest to increase your budget to 80K, and then buy a "very good to excellent" 360. But all depends on what you want out of your car, if it's driving pleasure you are aiming at then disregard my suggestion. If you are one of "those" fanatical detail oriented owner, then don't settle for less than perfect car, it will bother you each time you look at her.

Regards,

Mallick

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think this can be done, especially as summer ends! The only trouble I see is that at the low end of the price scale for manual cars there is the potential for getting a car that might need a few things. Some of those things can be expensive so do your homework. No engine out service though in a 360 so if you are handy or have access to a great indy mechanic or both you are in a good place...or have a small slush fund for unknowns.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If the 355 is the best looking and you'd love to own one.. you do know that they come with 3-pedals?

$70k should get you a 360.. and by 6 speed do you mean 3 pedals or F1? F1= more on the market. 3 pedals will be more of a challenge. If you do more of the work on your car as I suspect many 348 owners do, you'll do fine with a 360.

7. ForsytheFotographyHouston

BANNED

Apr 2, 2012
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Eric Forsythe
    I prefer a 3 pedal car while I still have the opportunity to do so.. I did a $20K engine out service on the 348 Challenge car and do not particularly want to go through that again so soon.. Ha! I do not mind a cosmetic fixer upper. But mechanically it needs to be very sound.. I do not mind higher milage as I drive my cars daily... Side note: I need good working air conditioning here in Houston.. Does the 355 have good AC? I think I heard the 360 AC is much better...

8. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    The 360 has much better AC than the 355. I have owned both here in Sacramento and on 90 degree days I didn't use the 355, I don't even think twice about the 360 regardless of the temp.

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If in good condition, the 355 AC is fine. Mine keeps me cool on 95 degree summer days here in VA without issue, but it has had the blower motor rebuilt which I think makes a difference.

I think the 360 overall is a more comfortable car with more interior room and slightly nicer materials. The 355 isn't bad, but the 360 is nicer (imo) and is price accordingly. I do hate the dash on the 360, but that's personal preference. Try both and buy the one you like more.

10. ForsytheFotographyHouston

BANNED

Apr 2, 2012
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Eric Forsythe
    That is good to know! My 348 was good if it was cloudy outside or in the evenings. Otherwise, I just wouldn’t drive it in the summer.

11. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My first Ferrari was a 348. Beautiful car, but not for me. You had to be a circus midget to fit in the drivers seat (no I am not that big 6' 200 lbs), the AC was poor and still had 12 refrigerant. The car did not handle as well as I would have expected and the electric connectors were a nightmare and constantly throwing a CEL.

I am surprised you had trouble with a MAF sensor. There was a HUGE post in the forum that cross referenced almost every part of the car with another car. For example, the alternator matched up with a AC Delco.

If we were having a cold one, I would recommend saving a couple more grand ($5K-$10K) and getting the car you really want. At $70K you may be limited in what you can buy.

I love my 360- much more like a modern car and the handling is MUCH better. For me, I was happy to trade my 348 TS for the 360.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think you will find that the centralized tach is very purposeful in the 360. You can concentrate on the road and still register the needle position! The simple dash layout is a feature in this regard and should age well IMO.

13. ForsytheFotographyHouston

BANNED

Apr 2, 2012
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Eric Forsythe
    The 348 felt so raw and “connected” to me as a driver. But my wife refused to go on a moderately long drive in it. So 360 comfort seems to be the way to go...

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
  15. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I also owned a 348 challenge car for a brief period, I enjoyed it but like you, grew tired of the issues. One of the greatest things about it was life above 4 grand in the twisties, everything else was just okay. The 360 isn't as loud, but is just as connected. I will be very surprised if your disappointed with the driving experience compared to the 348, it does everything better, including being a real sports car. It would be different if you were looking at a GT car like the Maranello.

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman

I think it is possible to get a mechanically sound '99 model, coupe, non-red (I meant rosso corsa), 20k miles or higher, from a non-Ferrari dealer.

This one looks good but I don't know the history:

1999 Ferrari 360 MODENA Warrensville Heights, Ohio | Marshall Goldman Motor Sales[/QUOTE]
    That's a tough color, and only two pedals. Looks like it only has three options, F1, shields, and power seats, either way, that's a low asking price.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nice car. From what I've seen of the color in person, its a very nice car.

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #18 English Rebel, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    That's a tough color, and only two pedals. Looks like it only has three options, F1, shields, and power seats, either way, that's a low asking price.[/QUOTE]

Fiorano Rosso tough color?? I know I'm biased but it's a beautiful color.
    Alan

Here you go -- take your pick
    http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/2000-ferrari-360modena-lombard-il-229774179
    http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/1999-ferrari-360modena-westpalmbeach-fl-229471579
    http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ferrari/360/Concord/Ontario/5_20851989_ON20080213111221804/?ursrc=hl
    http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Ferrari/360/Guelph/Ontario/5_18654292_20101207114102667/

19. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I found a nice 2002 360 Spider, F1, shields, power seats with a newly installed Factory racing exhaust, Fabspeed headers and Agency Cats. Full service history from new, 19K miles with a fresh clutch at 15K miles.

Red/Tan, books and all keys and remotes.

Sold for $70,500

I would have bought it, but found my 2004...

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    But with a 355 he should set aside about $8-$10k per year to maintain! 360 definitely a better choice IMHO and experience.

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If OP was frustrated with 348 because of issues then I doubt 355 is a wise choice. The 360 is far more reliable and friendly to the wallet and keeping it on the road without major down time. Just my $0.2. I never had a 355, but just keeping an eye on the 348/355 sub-forum and following threads in both 348/355 and 360/430 shows a fairly clear picture.

22. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Fiorano Rosso tough color?? I know I'm biased but it's a beautiful color.
    Alan

Here you go -- take your pick
    Used 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena in Lombard IL at Windy City Motorsports - Carsforsale.com
    Used 1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Manual in West Palm Beach FL at Auto Agent Sales, Llc - Carsforsale.com
    2000 Ferrari 360 for $69,977 in Concord | autoTRADER.ca
    1999 Ferrari 360 COUPE/6speedManual/Limited edition color white for $69,699 in Guelph | autoTRADER.ca[/QUOTE]

I just meant that it narrows the resale market, Fioriano isn't as popular as shades of grey, red yellow and black.

23. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I just meant that it narrows the resale market, Fioriano isn't as popular as shades of grey, red yellow and black.[/QUOTE]

Ah -- okay now I see. Yes there aren't a lot in that color.
    Alan

24. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #24 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie