Sub woofer speaker replacement | FerrariChat

Sub woofer speaker replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCKOMS, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    A while back there was a detailed post about replacing the sub woofer's "speakers" with regular speakers to get rid of the annoying pops. It documented the process nicely with photographs and a great description. I have searched extensively for that thread but can't seem to find it using the search function. Does anyone have that link?

Thanks!

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 SoftwareDrone, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Were you wanting to replace the speakers in the OEM subwoofer box, or were you wanting to replace the subwoofer box altogether? I may sound biased, but the best you will be able to do with the OEM box is to stuff one 6 1/2" sub in the top and a 5 1/4" speaker in the bottom. With a new subwoofer box, you can fit an 8" sub in there and the enclosure will still completely clear the seats (not to mention it will definitely move your hair!).
    :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I am familiar with your work and followed it's development through your posts...it looks great and I'm sure it sounds terrific. I am just looking to improve sound quality somewhat, but mainly to eliminate the "thumping" or "popping" that plagues the OEM set up. The post I was inquiring about used 2 identical stock 5.25" speakers, but there was something about the way in which they were wired, IIRC.

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will search as well and see if I can find that post. I do know that the OEM setup is that one of the speakers is wired up and the other is not (i.e. passive radiator).

5. bshah

bshah Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2011
    Chicago
    I think you have to use FOCALS in the hi-fi sub box. They fit with no modding. There is a guy at ABT that works on F-Cars. I have his name if you need it.

6. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks Binoy. I had my head unit, radar detector and back up camera done at Abt. They suggested a new box with a proper sub woofer.
    Still trying to find the thread that addressed the speaker replacement with what I believe were Pioneers.

7. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    JL makes a sub that will fit. I placed two in my factory box and they sound great. The factory sub has a dual voice coil, so you can drive 2 single voice coil speakers using the factory wiring.

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Can you please provide some details on the speakers and how you wired them?

9. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    JL Audio C5-525CW 5.25, you can pick them up for $149/each on Amazon. The stock woofer has a dual voice coil so you have a + and a - wire going to each side. Just take the + and - from one side for one of the JL's and the other + and - from the other side to the 2nd JL.

I did solder a quick disconnect onto one of the cable sets to facilitate speaker installation/removal.

Factory grills fit or you can use the JL supplied grills with or without logo.

10. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks! I finally found the thread I was searching for......on a different forum.

11. Tnopud

Tnopud Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Trois-Rivières QC Ca
    Full Name:
    Pierre Dupont
    Does anyone knows how to remove the sub box to get to the fuses box Behring passsenger seat?

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Gently pry off the speaker grill. There are four plastic tabs that insert into the speaker ring. Try not to break them. If you do break the plastic tabs, you can reattach the speaker grill with some Velcro. Ask me how I know this.

Remove the top speaker (or maybe it is merely a passive radiator dome). Reach in the box and disconnect the speaker. Then inside the sub box on the rear surface are two hex socket screws that mount the box. Remove those screws and lift the box out.

Now you can access the fuse panel. When you put the fuse panel back, do not insert the screw directly under the sub woofer box. In this way you will not have to remove the sub woofer box next time you want to access the fuses.

Regards,

Steve

13. Tnopud

Tnopud Rookie

Jul 19, 2014
    Trois-Rivières QC Ca
    Full Name:
    Pierre Dupont
    Thank you so Much

Regards Pierre

14. jetdok5

jetdok5 Karting

Oct 4, 2014
    warren ohio usa
    Full Name:
    bruce gray
    the crackling coming from mine was repaired and here is how. Remove the grills, turn on the music and look at the speaker....the cone has probably come loose and you can clearly see it vibrating at the very outer edge. I used dental picks and gently lifted the outer ring from the surface, took a qtip and applied RTV sealant behind the surface to re-glue it down. Once you get the sealant on, gently smooth it out and let sealant cure....a day should be good. I would be careful and lift even the areas that have not yet separated and do the whole way around. Turn the music on and you should see no vibration and hear no crackling. I first thought my speakers were blown....they sort of were, but it turned out to be a very effective low cost repair. That was last year.

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hey, cool fix. But I have two 6.25 inch boxes on order for my J&L speakers I got fro my 348. A buddy of mine made carbon boxes fro them but never got them to me over a couple years before my 348 got hit. So I will fit the generic boxes behind the seats in the 360, I hope ;)

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Try these, fit perfect, sound great, tight hard thump bass, not hip hop kid bass

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/482771-finally-i-found-sub-woofers-fit-rock-addition-clarion-deck.html

17. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awwwe, but I want the tunable 20hz bass ;) No sweat, anything is better than that 5 inch fake box.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I hope the generic boxes from amazon are deep enough and do actually fit. If not, then in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk