Odd feeling driving a friends 360? | FerrariChat

Odd feeling driving a friends 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tim1137, Jul 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was out driving a friends 360, almost same as mine, manual transmission etc. but something odd happened that I was not familiar with. We were taking a broad exit at good speed, roughly 50-60mph, and I let off the gas with the car in gear to coast, and the rear end was kind of "hopping" almost, or binding, or the rear end was chattering or something... I can't quite describe it, but anyone have any clue or know if this is an indication of anything? I was thinking possibly the car has the wrong gear oil? Maybe one with too much friction modifier?

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Could it be the ASR trying to keep you in check?

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Gear oil would be guess. I'll bet he put the plain 75w-90 in but it might need some friction modifier.

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I get a odd feeling driving a friends wife, she just feels different...wait Ferrari's... Could be a LOT of things, from alignment to worn suspension on one of the cars, but first thing I would look at is tires. How old are his tires vs. yours, are they rock hard from age ? I would look at things like that first then gear oil.

Cars are never exactly the same, I would take the same exit at the same speed in your 360 first, it could be the road. There is a curve nearby that I swear I am sliding on when taking at speed on my motorcycle, its the grooves in that curve, only that curve I don't get that feeling on any other curve on my motorcycle, but this one always feels like my front wheel is washing out. It could be the road if you have not taken it in your 360.

5. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It happened at every turn while off the gas pedal anything over 40ish mph, so I am going to count the road surface out.

Tires are only a couple years old, and only 1500-2000 miles on them and worn even, still extremely good condition so I don't think it is that.

I think for the cost of gear oil, I am going to give him a hand changing it and going from there. I was mostly concerned that it might be a mechanical problem with the differential or LSD or something... if it is just the fluid causing the issue, that would be nice.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Remove the airbox. 6 or 8 10mm nuts holding it in. Remove the intakes above the air filters and its out. Gear oil dipstick is right there on the right. You could add some modifier and see if it helps.

7. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If he has fluid with modifier in it already, like the ones that have it pre-added in, adding more could make it worse though no?

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If he has fluid in it that has the modifier in it already then I wouldn't add more.

I would change it with something else if that's the case.

9. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yah we don't know what it has for sure, so I'll start with new fluid, and no modifier, and add as necessary

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Broken transmission mount?

11. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    It sounds like a binding Limited slip and I think the oil change mentioned to the proper oil would be the best bet..

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You can easily tell if the LS pack is grabbing. Make a fairly tight turn in reverse. Because of the low speed and the tight turn it will be obvious.

The NS gear oil makes many (most?) of the 360's chatter. You really end up needing friction modifier to make it work properly.

13. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did it feel as it was the transmission itself or an intermittent loss of ignition? (not sure if you have ever felt that). The reason I ask is because my car was sporadically doing that and I suspect it may be something else, not transmission-related.

14. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just checked with him, the car binds and "hops" on tight turns as well in a parking lot at full lock. Gotta be the fluid, going to order up some Redline and start there.

15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    +1

Happened after service in my 430.

Try any turn /sweep and see . Mine needed it. Very offputting.

16. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It looks like Redline makes two friction modifiers, can anyone confirm which one we need?

They both come in 4oz. containers, but one is limited slip friction modifier, and the other one says friction modifier & break in additive.

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would not add straight Redline then add friction modifier. Been there, done that. It doesn't work. Add the Redline Lightweight Shock proof gear oil. Trust me, this stuff is amazing!! My mechanic uses it for all of the Ferraris that go through his shop. This was recommended to me by another respected mechanic on this forum.

18. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Redline SP info - you sure this is suitable?

"Lightweight ShockProof - A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.
    Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles.

A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities.

Acting like a liquid grease, the viscosity characteristics of ShockProof allow the lubricants to resist throwoff and provide the protection of a greater film thickness with relatively light fluid viscosity, offering a "best of both worlds" balance of low drag and superior protection.

ShockProof products work in a variety of differential and transmissions, however, should not be used with pumps, filters, and with small lines--these fluids are designed wet sump or splash type lubrication."

19. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    lol, this is why it is so hard to figure out what the heck to use in these cars... everyone has a different opinion.

20. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    No opinion from me Tim, simply reading the Redline Shockproof data it does not sound like the correct oil for a modern LSD gearbox used on the street.. i'm no expert though!

21. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agreed, based on their description, I don't think that should be used. The regular 75w90NS seems to be ok based on a lot of other feedback, but still unsure about which addative to use.

22. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I'm not an expert either, but I can read. I assume Redline has some experts writing, or at least proof-reading their literature.

Redline says this about their Shockproof gear oil: "Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging".

Since my 360 has all three, or at least two plus a fine mesh filter, I use the gear oil Redline recommends. However, several people have reported on this forum that the Shockproof oil is their oil of choice. Do the people advocating going against Redline's policy live in their mom's basement hoping one day to own a Lambo or are they really Ferrari owners? Who knows?

I'll stick to what Redline says, at least for now.

23. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I would think any good 75/90 designed for use in an LSD would be fine. I believe my Porsche race shop used a Mobil product but it's been a while.

24. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Brian Crall and Robert Roselli have repaired more Ferraris than you guys will ever see in your lifetime and both emphatically recommend it. I have been running it for six years (and 40,000 miles) in my own 360. It has about a one year shelf life and should be swapped out after that. But hey, this could all be lies! :D

25. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim

I totally respect that these guys have tons of Ferrari experience and they have good luck with the product. But for myself, it boils down to this: who is going to be paying for that new transmission should something go wrong? Surely not them....