How do you keep your garage cool? | FerrariChat

How do you keep your garage cool?

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jul 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    First time for me to own a 360. These engines run hot. Great during winter time as after going for a drive I pull in to my garage, pop the engine compartment hood open and the heat of the engine warms up my garage very quickly to Nice and comfy.

However during this time of the year (summer) after going for a drive, pull in to my garage and pop hood open my garage temperature gets up to 88 degrees. Hot!

So I leave my garage door a crack open plus I also have two turbo fans going. One pulls in outside cool air and one blowing hot air out of my garage for good circulation.

So my question is how do you guys keep your garage cool?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    #2 JaguarDriver, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I built my garage recently, I put in central heat/air at a rating well above the needed amount. Well worth the investment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    hot? sounds nice. I am installing geothermal. it will be up by Sept. 15 in five houses I own.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #4 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    OK maybe another question to add if you dont mind. I have clearance from the wife to put a unit in my garage. Sometimes it is silly humid and warm here. Is there any issue with having a nice cool garage and then the "other" occupant of the garage comes home and parks a new fresh hot engine in the garage space. For the sake of argument lets call this my wife.

Would I be creating a condensation issue with the hot engines and the humid air? I cant see this as a good thing. I wonder if I would be doing more damage than helping.

5. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Oh yeah? Well I have 4 butlers, one at each corner of my Ferrari, fanning it with big feather fans on a stick.

:)

6. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Lol...

7. handdoc

handdoc Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    spray foam insulation can help

8. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Those would be punkawallahs.
    Alan

9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful garage.. Is that Hardi Board siding on the house? I just redid my house in that, fantastic product.

10. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    I don't have this issue given size of garage. Almost 4 spots plus I have 2 giant size windows. Not even my 430 engine can hear up garage. Is your engine that hot that it's heats up garage that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    It is hardi planks. Just had the house redone also as it had the older stuff that tends to rot. Hopefully the last time this needs to be done. It is a really nice product and even has wood grain texture which the wood product did not have.

12. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I also put in central hvac. Keep it set at 80 in the summer unless I am working in the garage. I have 5 bays. Always dry. No condensation issues. Live near Chicago so we rarely see extreme humidity

13. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Make sure it's got at least 6mtr side walls, height helps dissipate heat.
    It gets very hot in Australia.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great thread. Am building garage, if I can get historic commission to decide before I'm too old to drive. Any suggestions above & beyond HVAC for building a garage that'll have to withstand the Texas heat?
    T

15. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have the AC and also a dehumidifier hooked to a humidistat.

16. dhac

dhac Karting

Feb 26, 2012
    boca raton and LI
    a ductless a/c heatpump works well... you will a/c in the summer and heat for the winters..if needed

17. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How big is the garage?

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Beautiful garage and great collection of cars!

Thanks for the info and for sharing photo.

Dan

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent suggestion. I will look into the ductless heatpumps.

Thanks!

Dan

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #20 whatheheck, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I only have a two car garage.

I plan on extending my garage and adding space for two more cars but not until about 2 years from now as I am still saving money for it.

I only have one window in my garage so air circulation is not the best especially with the garage door closed.

Here is a photo of my small garage.

Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Put a very cool car in your garage to bring the temps down :)

22. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    I have a 3 car garage and live in FL so plenty of heat and humidity. I added a split unit A/C and am very glad I did. Yes, when a hot car is pulled in it raises the temperature a lot. If I'm working in the garage I leave the hot car outside until it cools down. I run the A/C a couple of hours a day on average.

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have two of these units also -- they are called "mini splits", if I remember correctly. They work wonderfully and are extremely energy efficient compared to a ducted system, because they have variable speed fans on the exterior unit, and all sorts of timer/dehumidify/heat/speed settings on the remote controls.

24. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    IIRC, Hardi built a demonstration house on the beach in Texas. When the last hurricane went through there was a dramatic picture taken, not a single home left standing as far as the eye could see form storm surge, except their demonstration house. It looked like it was still in move-in condition.

In the Bahamas here, there are a lot of homes with Hardiboard over cement. Gives them that clapboard look while being virtually indestructible.

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have the same problem too with an F12 and a 3 car garage - gets up to 90 degrees. Main thing with central AC if you get it is that it's important for it to be a completely separate system from the rest of the house for carbon monoxide/ fumes isues. You don't want to be sharing air handlers. I looked into a low end window-based AC unit but I don't think it could handle it. If you want 75 degree garage in the summer I think you have to step up to the plate and get a self contained central AC unit just for the garage.