Sticky Parts | FerrariChat

Sticky Parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ron500E, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron500E

Ron500E Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    River Styx.
    Full Name:
    Ron
    A newbie question here... what causes the parts to become sticky? Are they plastic and just outgassing or is it the heat that "melts" the surface?
    I know there are probably countless threads on how to remedy the problem so I wont ask but has the problem been address by Ferrari in offering new parts? I don't mean warranty work of course but do the replacement parts have the same issue?
    Thank,

Ron

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    This has been an issue on Ferraris for years and years. They added a "soft touch" coating to the plastic and with heat it becomes sticky. You would have thought that after having an issue on one model they would correct it for the next -- but NO.
    Alan

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, new cars have the same issue. I sat in an FF recently and counted all the parts that WILL get sticky over time. We just recently did the entire interior of a 2012 Maserati QP. I think the coating they use has an outgassing effect which turns it sticky.

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Robby
    I find that unbelievable in this day and age. They have known about if for years and have not changed their coating (no idea why they need coating anyway). Also I have no idea why they coat the dashboard vents as they never get touched. Good business for you though.
    Alan

5. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    the coating is a silicone-based compound that softens with heat....this is the problem why these parts get sticky...

6. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Crazy that they still haven't switched to a newer product. There are soft touch coatings on smartphones and all sorts of consumer products these days which don't melt.

7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This winter I will be sending a few parts on my 430 to you for refinishing. Do you know of the complete list of parts that will get sticky? So far it's my glove box button (the worst), window switches and door handles. The door handles I have to figure out how to take off.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'll raise you one. The interior black paint on my 36 year old 308 is original and intact. The interior black paint (doors) on my 430 which is 6 years old is falling off. What about that regression?

: P

9. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've stripped/refinished or changed to carbon fiber, every piece on my 430 that have gone sticky. Basically anything painted with the OEM soft touch paint will get sticky!

Glove Box Button
    Window Switches
    Door Handles
    Door Handle Buckets
    Passenger Handle Brackets
    Defroster Vents
    Round Vents
    Small Vents on R and L sides above round vents
    Mode/Set Panel
    Steering Column Cowling
    Stereo Knobs
    A/C Control Buttons
    Ash Tray
    Hazard Button
    "P" Light Switch
    Mirror Control/Buttons
    Power Roof/Rear Glove Box Bezel
    All Switches

Good grief ... did I miss anything?!? :eek:

Here's the how-to on door handle removal (post #16) that I wrote up when I replaced mine with carbon.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/364556-430-sticky-door-handles-macarbon.html

I ended up doing mine over a period of maybe 2 years, little by little, as slowly, more and more of my pieces became sticky.

Good luck!

10. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    Interesting ...
    My 2001 360 with 16k miles does not have any sticky parts

It's in Australia though most of its life it was in cold England

Wondering if the climate has anything to do with it?

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Ugh. Sorry I asked!
    I may go the same route though. Replace some with CF and have the rest de-stickied as they start going. My mode/set/parking sensor buttons starting to go also :(

12. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Absolutely! Cold climate cars don't have the issue.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had absolutely no problem when we lived in Co. Extreme heat, extreme cold. The Stickies arrived on my 03 360 shortly after moving to Fl. approx. 2 yrs ago when humidity was added to the equation. Currently those issues have been totally resolved.

14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Heat adds to the problem, but does not cause it - - I have several customers with Enzos, which stay in a climate cool controlled underground garage and they have experienced the sticky parts problems.

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just send me an email and I can forward a full price sheet which has every parts on it that will eventually get sticky.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    PM sent.

17. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It is hard to believe that even Enzo's have this problem.

18. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I'm not surprised.

19. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Had my CS parts done by Robbie earlier this year. Fantastic work that brought the interior of the car back to showroom new.

20. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'll bet that the cause is primarily chemical and not environmental. My 360 lived most of its life in New York and Utah and still has a number of sticky parts.

In pipe organs, leather has been used for centuries to make everything from tiny pressure/vacuum actuators to very large pressure regulators. The nominal service life is 50 years. But when you go restore, it is extremely labor intensive by skilled artisans and the cost for a large instrument can run well over $1M. So about 40 years ago some smart people invented " Perflex", a neoprene-like substance which was touted as having a service life well over 100 years. Only trouble was, the material was unstable. After about 10 years, it started reverting to its constituent components and became "sticky", and at 20 years it actually liquefied! (So I know this stuff because my other "mistress", along with the 360, is a 90 year old 25 ton instrument which I have lovingly restored and which occupies a prominent place in our home.

So I think time is the enemy, probably abetted by sunshine and/or heat. Best approach is probably to perform incremental correction before the problem gets overwhelming. That's what I'm doing anyway.

Cheers, Andy

21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Robbie did my whole car,except for defroster vents, 3years ago and the stuff still looks new. Now the defroster vents have turned to a gooey mess, but they are a nightmare to remove. Not sure what to do about them.

22. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The two side window defrosters come out easily with a trim removal tool. A bit of rubbing alcohol and they will look like new too. My front defrosters still look good so I didnt mess with them but I believe they pop our easily as well with no fasteners to remove.

23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's the 2 windshield defroster vents and from what I've read the whole dash needs to be removed. No easy fix. Ugh...

24. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It cleans off easy with methylated spirits.

25. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know...just can't get them out.