360 Challenge Rear Grille | FerrariChat

360 Challenge Rear Grille

Discussion in '360/430' started by andrews1958, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrews1958

andrews1958 Karting

Apr 29, 2013
    Maine / Namibia
    Who would you recommend and model/type? Was this available as a factory option? Difficult to install? Could a shade tree mechanic install it?

2. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    yes i would recommend it , releases lots of heat. easy install! and yes also was a factory option.

3. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Count on a few hours the first time around, not too difficult though. Try FerrParts for the part, reasonable pricing.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Buy from Daniel at Ricambi, might be a few bucks more, however, its an OEM part.

There are a couple of great threads on the install process, one by me even, just do a quick search. Its a fun project to DIY.

5. SoIllFerrari

SoIllFerrari Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    CD
    How much are they?

6. andrews1958

andrews1958 Karting

Apr 29, 2013
    Maine / Namibia
  7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  8. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Not sure if they ship to the USA but you might consider the Pro Sport Challenge Grill from the UK. It's a pattern part but is identical to the original and fits perfectly. I have one on my 360 as the originals are like "hen's teeth" over here. Cost is around £700 GBP plus shipping. I fitted mine and it a very easy job, should take no more than 90 minutes.

65919700 CHALLENGE GRILL (PATTERN) - 360 / 355 Rear Challenge Grills - Aftermarket

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    No they don't ship to the US as their distributor is Exotic Auto Recycling. $1100 plus shipping. I just purchased a used (but mint condition) OEM and installed it myself. Takes a bit of fiddling to get all the studs to line up. Make sure you put shims on the 4 center studs to ensure that the hatch closes properly. If it doesn't after you have installed it then just remove the 4 bolts that attach the center "tower bracket" to the frame, add the shims and reinstall. You may have have to do this twice to get the hatch to close properly.
    Alan

10. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm on a waiting list with Ricambi, they haven't had any in over 8 weeks! How many 360's are out there that still don't have challenge grills?

11. MortgageRockstar

Feb 8, 2013
    Mansfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Geof
    Alan,

What are the shims you are referring to? Are they just washers?

Part number?

Thanks.

12. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you installed this yet? I'm in the middle of it and I don't know if my chubby little hands are going to be able to put it back together. It's the nuts that are the problem trying to hold them and placing them on the screws around the taillights. There's another thread somewhere that says to put the lights on first but that's not going to happen because then you can't get the nuts on the grille. Not a 1 & 1/2 hr job. I've been working on this for 2 nights now and about 3 hrs. - in 90% humidity and just got it removed. I had to take some time off because my wife's Jeep blew a friggin serpentine belt the other night! But I am getting really close to my 360!

13. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BTW - one other thing. I noticed that there are 4 washers and it looks like they are paired - 2 on each side of the tower and I'm assuming the top screws because as I took off the grill the washers fell on the ground. But 2 washers have black paint on them and the other 2 did not. Taking a guess here.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Those washers are spacers. Not too sure if every car has the same number but when I installed mine I had to add spacers to get the cover latch to close properly. If you have this issue don't remove the grille -- just loosen the four nuts that attach it to the latch "tower" and start putting washers between the flange of the tower and the grille and retighten the nuts. Keep adding or removing washers until the hatch closes properly then remove the tower by undoing the four bolts that attach it to the frame and put those washers over the studs of the grille and reinstall the tower. Whole job took me about three hours. The nuts on the far ends are a little tricky to get on and the grille is a tight fit so carefully tighten all the nuts together to slowly pull the grill into contact with its mountings on the car.
    Alan

16. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
  17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would approach this carefully. Some of their parts look very similar to R-Tuned parts which are inferior. As an example they, R-Tuned, make a rear engine hatch grill set that is basically heavy fiberglass with a laminate of carbon fiber over the top for $900 on Ebay. Exotic Car gear has the same part at the same price. Perhaps Exotic Car gear sources only this particular part from R-Tuned and the rest of their parts are true carbon fiber vacuum bag auto-claved aerospace grade parts but it would serve you well to find out before committing.

18. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Thanks for the feedback Kevin - I will contact them and see what they say....

Anyone have any other suggestions on where to get a good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 spikes360, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FWIW - I bought a rear challenge grill from Exotic Auto Recycling they're on EBAY. Brand new and it fits perfect. A little tight and I had to enlarge some of the holes in order to get some of the studs lined up. Price was around $1100.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Shawn,

Do yourself a favor and buy from Daniel at Ricambi:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261252

I purchased mine from Daniel and he best in customer service and OEM product.

21. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    I think I have one of these on my CS (bought it that way). it's a Novitec product.
    BTW, how much is the ricambi OEM replacement part? I am thinking about replacing my Novitec grill with an OEM one (personal taste).

22. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    #22 shawdut, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys for all the feedback. I am leaning towards the OEM part from Ricambi given that the others may not be a perfect fit and finish. Daniel quoted me $2399 + shipping.

I found this one on Novitec's site but am not crazy about it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login