No more shrinkage!! | FerrariChat

No more shrinkage!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by MPtolomey, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    #1 MPtolomey, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just completed the air bag shrinkage repair, about an hour to remove the airbag, an evening to condition the leather (while on the airbag) and about an hour to stretch, remove, clean and reinstall the leather.

The airbag now looks like new...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RANDY6005 and GogglesPisano like this.
  2. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
  3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #3 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 28, 2014
    one4torque likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Great job. Almost impossible to get it recovered with the airbag logo, so that solved that problem.

5. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    Do you have a before pic?

6. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is the shrinkage the reason why there's a bubble in the center of it? Mine just started to have a long narrow bubble this summer.

7. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Yes,

The leather shrinks and pulls away at the bond, then you get a bubble/distortion that becomes an eye sore. Mine pulled away at the bottom and looked terrible...

A few hours of work and now looks like new.

Unfortunately a common problem on our cars which is a pretty easy fix.

8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Can you walk us thru the process and what glues did you use?

9. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    #9 MPtolomey, Jul 30, 2014
    After removing the airbag, I treated the leather with Lexol leather conditioner. I probably applied at least a dozen applications rubbing it into the leather and then let it sit overnight. I then rubbed in a couple of additional applications the following morning and left for work letting it sit throughout the day.

The following evening I worked (stretched) the leather back into shape by hand by running my thumb from the top of the bag to the bottom (much like a massage) while also tugging on the bottom of the leather. I did this from the top down and also from the top diagonally. Took about 20 mins for the leather to stretch back to where it should be (Mine had shrunk a good 1/4 inch and had pulled completely loose from the bottom).

Once I had the leather stretched I removed the entire leather cover figuring that the other bond would probably not to far behind and fail. Once that was off I cleaned the plastic airbag module face and then trial fit the leather cover.

Once the cover was positioned correctly, I used 3 clips to temporarily secure the lower piece of leather to the airbag so I could bond the top without worry of loosing the alignment of the leather.

The glue I used was Weldwood contact cement, GEL. I applied 2 coats to the leather rim (the part without foam backing) and 2 coats to the back of the airbag. Waited approx. 20 - 25 minutes then stretched the top leather over the airbag module and rubbed/pressed the two areas together. (I did NOT apply glue to the foam back of the leather, nor did I remove any of the foam). Once I completed the top, I then removed my clips from the bottom and applied two coats to both the leather and the back of the airbag module face, waited 20 mins and then stretched the leather over and rubbed/pressed the two areas together.

Once the top and bottom had been bonded, I did both the sides using the same manner. I then let the airbag sit overnight and installed it the following evening. I have attached a picture of it installed and it looks awesome...

Just wish I had taken pictures throughout the process as I found very little on this subject while I was researching it.

KC360 FL likes this.
  10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    George costanza wishes he would have seen this thread! ;-)

11. IggyPee

IggyPee Rookie

Jan 20, 2022
    Full Name:
    Michael
    AandSC and GogglesPisano like this.